Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Would Hurt Voldemort More?

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    I would say that losing your body is the most painful of the three. (I think what made it especially painful was the fact that Voldemort's soul was so torn; rebounding curses or other means of magical death is not necessarily painful for other wizards--Voldemort just invoked a lot of Dark Magic to do something completely against the laws of nature.)

I think it may have been initially slightly painful for Voldemort to rip his soul, but I doubt it. As it went on, it got less and less so, if it was ever painful to begin with. Especially by the sixth Horcrux, he would hardly feel it. (The fact that he didn't even realize he make Harry into a Horcrux supports this.)

I think for somebody like Harry, creating a Horcrux would be quite painful and upsetting, but for Voldemort, who was already so far gone, it was not.

I cannot find the quote, but somewhere in DH, Hermione talks about remorse, and how that's the only thing that can reassemble the soul of somebody who's created Horcruxes. But, she says, "the pain of it can destroy you." (I'm paraphrasing here, but I'm pretty sure that's close to the mark.) If the soul going back together again is painful, I feel like for some reason, that its initial breaking might not be too bad. Voldemort is clearly not a great handler of pain--I doubt he would have an easy time stomaching something if it were too painful for him.

If it were a character other than Voldemort, it depends on how far "gone" they are. As we can see, by the end of it, Voldemort didn't even notice when Horcruxes were being made or destroyed. If somebody had one Horcrux, I can imagine that the pain of creating it might be significant. Still, though, if I were to rank them in terms of pain for anybody, it would be:

1. Soul being ripped from body
    2. Crucio
    3. Creating a Horcrux

And I think a character with Horcruxes feeling remorse, and thereby having their soul attempt to piece itself back together, would be more painful than all of this.

Thanks to opaleye for the lovely banner!

Lovemagic
    The last two posts are quite interesting.

I have to agree with Eponine. Losing your body would probably be the most painful. Voldemort even said it was extremely painful in the Third Task's Maze.

As it went on, it got less and less so, if it was ever painful to begin with. Especially by the sixth Horcrux, he would hardly feel it. (The fact that he didn't even realize he make Harry into a Horcrux supports this.)
    But do we really know this? Voldemort lost his body at the same time he made Harry a horcrux. We don't have any other details about the makings of the other horcruxes. Perhaps making a horcrux does hurt, but Voldemort was losing his body, too. Perhaps the pains summed up and Voldemort didn't realize. He didn't lose his body again, so he doesn't know the difference. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Maple_and_PheonixFeather

Quote Originally Posted by AidaLuthien
    I imagine it probably would actually hurt to rip your soul, but perhaps, he didn't care. Or enjoyed the pain because it meant that he was making another Horcrux and was becoming even a little bit more invincible.
    That's actually sort of what I meant, that he simply didn't care. To me though, a soul isn't really physical...if that makes sense. I think it would depend on the specific person, but I don't think it would be physical pain, I think it would be more emotional, or self pain, if that makes any sense what so ever.
    This idea is extremely interesting. If making a horcrux does cause pain, it wouldn't be physical. However, Maple and Aida's ideas clash with Eponine's. Maple and Aida say that he might have enjoyed the pain as he was becoming stronger because of it. Eponine says that Voldemort wasn't a good handler of pain. Are there any evidences in the books to prove which theory is correct?

Though I haven't got my books, I can suggest something to support Eponine's theory on why making a horcrux wouldn't cause much, if any, pain. See, Hermione does say that the power of remorse (to mend one's soul) can kill one. Eponine says that therefore creating a horcrux might not cause much pain at all.

So what about Light and Dark? It's easy to become Dark and make the wrong choices; being Light in a world full of evilness might be harder. Finally realizing your mistakes and regretting would be painful compared to keeping on doing bad things and not feeling anything.

If that made sense.

Hayden

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemagic
    So what about Light and Dark? It's easy to become Dark and make the wrong choices; being Light in a world full of evilness might be harder. Finally realizing your mistakes and regretting would be painful compared to keeping on doing bad things and not feeling anything.

If that made sense.
    That is simply beautifully put.
    What I meant is if it was painful, it wouldn't be physical, but emotional.

Does Voldemort even feel emotion? For some reason I don't think so He's just so...soulless
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    What I remember about soul splitting is that your soul is ripped each time you murder someone, it becomes slightly damaged. Making the Horcrux takes that bit of ripped soul out of your body (that would probably be the painful part). If Voldemort felt pain each time he killed someone do you think he would kill hundreds of people? I think a well performed Crucio would probably hurt Voldemort more than Horcrux making though, otherwise he probably wouldn't make so many. But, if I recall in DH when Hermione was explaining Horcruxes she mentioned the pain of trying to put the soul back together but the book didn't say anything about hurting. But for most people the idea of killing is so horrible they wouldn't even dare, the idea would disgust them. That being said, I think Voldemort trying to put his soul back together through remorse would hurt the worst.