Thread: How many lessons a day?

Hybrid View

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!

How many lessons a day?

For once, before i start writing I am trying to do some research

I've looked through some threads but not found the exact answer to this question.

How many classes to the Hogwarts students have in a day?
    How many before lunch? How many after?

Do the students get "frees" that they can spend doing work in the common room or library?

Any thoughts would be very welcome as the logistics of this question are starting to hurt my brain >.>

~Russia xxxxx
    I'm dreaming the hardest.

Thank you Nadia/majestic_ginny! <3
    Being FEARLESS isn't about not having fears, it's about living in spite of them.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I found this on wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    A bell signals the start of the first class of the morning at 9 a.m.
    There are two long morning classes with a short break in between them for students to get to their next class. After lunch, classes resume at 1 p.m., and there is a break around afternoon teatime before another class period. The classes are about one hour in length, with occasional double periods lasting two hours. Classes end around five o'clock. First year students get Friday afternoons off, while sixth- and seventh-year students have several free periods during the week. In the evening, students eat their dinner in the Great Hall, after which they are expected to be in their common rooms. Astronomy classes take place late at night in the Astronomy Tower.
    I'm not sure how well researched this is (we're talking wiki here, after all), but I do remember bells going after lessons and Harry going off to another class in the mornings. I would suggest that Thursday morning could have later lesson starts for Harry and his year because they're up late on Wednesday at Astronomy classes, although that's not actually mentioned in the books.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!
    You are such a star, Carole!

One more question though:

How many lessons of each subject would a pupil have in a week?

Than I'm all set =D Thanks guyssss!

~Russia xxxxx

Being FEARLESS isn't about not having fears, it's about living in spite of them.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    If most classes really are an hour, and classes run from 9-5 with an hour long break, then theoretically, they have six-seven classes a day. ... which doesn't make any sense to me.

Looking at it from another way:

Firsts take:
    1) Potions
    2) Charms
    3) Transfiguration
    4) History of Magic
    5) Defense Against the Dark Arts
    6) Herbology
    7) Astronomy

Lexicon suggests that the students have two classes in the morning separated by a bell and one or two classes in the afternoon.

If they have about four classes a day, then probably each subject twice a week except Astronomy.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    I believe a morning break was also mentioned at some point. It wouldn't be very long, perhaps only fifteen minutes or half an hour, but it still might be a factor in how scheduling works.

I would suggest either two single periods in the morning or one double period (I believe these are usually on Fridays, and for subjects that need extended project time, such as Potions). With a half-hour break between the classes, and assuming they start at nine, this would mean they got out at eleven-thirty, which, after a suitable lunch break, would allow three or four periods in the afternoon with passing periods of ten minutes (it's a big castle, after all). With three classes -- which I would suggest in order to maintain a balanced day -- they would get out at four, with four classes they would get out at ten past five.

I do like Carole's idea of starting lessons later on Thursday to accomodate the midnight Astronomy lessons.

How many lessons of each subject would a pupil have in a week?

Maybe two or three. Probably more for the "important" classes (the ones people stress out more about on exams) than the others, but even up to four a week in some cases, if you go for a six-lesson day.

Banner by the lovely Megan/FawkesToTheRescue

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!
    Thankyou all for your help! I think I have cobbled together a suitable enough timetable for my fic now

However I haven't factored in any changeover time as we don't have that in British schools, so I'm assuming Hogwarts would be the same.

Thankyou again!

~Russia xxxxx