Thread: Wizarding wages?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!

Wizarding wages?

Does anyone have any idea of the average salary of a Ministry employee? How much do you think the Minister of MAgic is paid/ the heads of departments? Do you think people who work say as Unspeakables or Aurors are paid substantially more than jobs like Arthur Weasley's?

Any ideas would be very helpful!
    Banner by Minna.

abovelevel
    Well, the minister is somewhat like the president or, for the UK, the prime minister, so they might earn equivalent salaries. The heads of the Auror department might be like the heads of the FBI or CIA (these are American intelligence organizations, I don't know what they have in the UK sorry) - I think the easiest way to do this would be to find somewhat equivalent jobs, and look at those salaries.

I definitely think some jobs would be more high-paying and more prestigous. I think because so few people care about Muggles, Arthur's job wasn't highly seen or paid well (remember how poor the Weasleys were especially in the early books?), plus his salary had to feed 9. So, I think in general there would be a hierarchy with Unspeakables earning more than like the Magical Maintenance Department. But it's the same in the Muggle world, someone who deals with intelligence and code-breaking or something will be paid a lot more than say...someone who is a busboy.

Hope that helps somewhat.

SingingWren
    I know in Canada, the Prime Minister doesn't make significantly more than any other government worker, but he/she gets a ridiculously good pension, plus a place to live and travel expenses. Something along those lines would be my guess, as I can't see the Minister of Magic being filthy rich.

In terms of Aurors and Unspeakables, yes, they'd probably be paid more. Especially Aurors, due to the high level of risk involved in their jobs. Someone who works in an office isn't likely to get as much as someone who risks their life every day. I see abovelevel's point about Arthur's job involving Muggles. That could definitely be a consideration.

Hmm, I wonder if teachers' salaries are under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Magic? In Canada, it's a government position, so the government determines the wages, but I don't know if Hogwarts is independent of the M of M or not.

Makes me wonder: do wizards have unions?

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingWren

Hmm, I wonder if teachers' salaries are under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Magic? In Canada, it's a government position, so the government determines the wages, but I don't know if Hogwarts is independent of the M of M or not.
    I think that Hogwarts is independent of the Ministry because they had to make a new law in OOTP so they could appoint teachers. All of the M of M's interfering in OOTP required new laws to be passed, which makes me suspect that Hogwarts in the past had been very independent of the Ministry. If the jobs had been a government position, Fudge would have been able to remove teachers he didn't approve of before the laws passed in OOTP.

I agree that there is a hierarchy. One thing to think about is, at least in America, government workers are paid very little. Many do not make much money in their government jobs but make money from making speeches at colleges and such. High up positions make more, the President makes $400,000 and then has a travel budget, an entertaining budget and an expense account. The Chief of Staff and senior advisors make about 172,000 dollars but many people who work in the White House who do not have high positions only make about 50,000 dollars (this was all from the White House's report to Congress).

So if it was a position like Percy's first job, he probably wasn't making much. Arthur, as everyone has said, probably wasn't paid much because his department was small and not important in the Minister's eyes. Also, a salary that may have easily supported a three or four person family may not have supported a nine person family very easily.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by welshdevondragon
    Does anyone have any idea of the average salary of a Ministry employee? How much do you think the Minister of MAgic is paid/ the heads of departments? Do you think people who work say as Unspeakables or Aurors are paid substantially more than jobs like Arthur Weasley's?

Any ideas would be very helpful!
    I think Unspeakables, Aurors, Hit Wizards, other people with high stress jobs would have to be paid more. You want to recruit the best for that kind of thing, and keep them around.

More bureaucratic positions would probably be paid less.

I think the average Ministry job would pay decently, though not extravagantly. There seems to a rather large public sector (or maybe Harry just meets more people with government jobs) so the average has to be enough so that people can live, but not so much that the government goes broke. I have no idea what the actual number would be though.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...
    I'm going to say that all salaries are probably rather average with very few differences depending on skill sets or managerial positions [at least in government type jobs].

I'm a teacher in RL and I know my salary is comparable to that of a police officer who puts his life at risk. So, I don't know that it's a valid point to say Aurors get paid more than Hogwarts' teachers.

You guys have to remember that a very small percent of the world holds a large amount of the wealth. In comparison, the rest of us are mostly lower, or upper middle class, or live in poverty [whether we realize it or not] -- You really have to look at the definition of poverty in your country.

I'd say that the Weasleys probably lived in poverty due to the number of children they had. A lot of hand-me downs and all that; it seems they grew some of their own produce too. Even in the books, very few families seemed to be very wealthy [and most of those were the purebloods].

Shop owners are probably upper middle class.

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I've just read something on the Lexicon that says the starting wage for a trainee member of the Magical Law Enforcement Squad is 700 Galleons per month. I think they took this from one of the Daily Prophet things JKR did for her fanclub in the late 90s. I don't know if you'd consider this canon, though. 700 Galleons seems like a lot when Arthur Weasley wins the Daily Prophet Grand Prize in PoA; it's enough to buy a holiday for seven to Egypt plus a new wand, and probably other things as well.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!