Thread: Great Hall House Tables

silver_hare
    When you walk into the Great Hall in what order (from left to right) are the house tables in?

From what I can gather from the first book and Harry's description during the sorting ceremony, the tables appear to be like this from his point of view: Gryffindor on the far left, then Ravenclaw, then Slytherin, then Hufflepuff at the far right. However because this is from Harry's point of view as he stands at the front of the hall next to the teacher's table and facing the students. So I think that when you enter the hall, it might be reversed: with Hufflepuff on the far left, then Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Gryffindor.

Do you think they change each year, or does their order stay the same through out all of the seven books?

I want to say they stay the same, but after thinking about the scene in Deathly Hallows where the students in Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw all stand up to protect Harry after Pansy Parkinson shouts to grab him implies that the Hufflepuff table is between Slytherin and Gryffindor. In fact, from that line and following descriptions, it sounds like the order goes: Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor.

Maybe, like the staircases and all of the other oddities at Hogwarts, the tables get switched around just to throw the students off, but I don't think so. Harry is always described as going directly to the Gryffindor table without any problems, implying that it's always in the same place.

I think that the tables stay the same, but J.K. Rowling just messed up on the exact order and switched the Hufflepuff table and the Slytherin table around. Really, I think you can go with any order you want.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    The Lexicon says:

Vast chamber with an enchanted ceiling that mirrors the sky outside. Four long tables for the four houses. Closest to the doors from the Entrance Hall is Slytherin, then Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and next to the far wall, Gryffindor (this order may possibly be reversed, depending on how you orient the room to the entrance hall). The teachers sit at the High Table, a table on a raised platform at the front of the room.
    But I'm pretty sure it changes quite a bit too, though not intentionally on JKR's part. It seems weird for the staff to shake up the order of the tables just 'cause. Keeping the Slytherins and Gryffindors apart seems like a good choice, but besides that, you can probably make whatever order you want.

Thanks to opaleye for the lovely banner!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    I have no idea what order the tables are in, but in my imagination, Slytherin was always at the far right end facing the head table (interpret this as you will). This also conveniently shuffled the Slyths to one side, apart from the rest of the students.

But now thinking way back, to when I first started reading the books, I imagined the four tables being arranged in a square, with two up front and two behind, instead of four in a single row. I guess the latter makes more sense.

Tim the Enchanter

First Year Hufflepuff
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

Great Hall House Tables

When you walk into the Great Hall in what order (from left to right) are the house tables in?

Do you think they change each year, or does their order stay the same through out all of the seven books?

I tried looking in book one but I just got confused.

ravenclaw1997
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_hare
    In fact, from that line and following descriptions, it sounds like the order goes: Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor.
    I think this is how it goes, at least in the movies. I know they definitely switched it around, but I'm not sure about in the books.

I think the Gryffindor table was in the middle somewhere in SS, but in the others I'm not sure, but it seems like it's on an end. The Slytherin table is always on the far left, if you're walking into the Great Hall from the Entrance Hall. I think this is the right order, though.

You might be okay with whatever you choose. There's no 100% for sure answer, so go with whatever sounds and looks right to you. Good luck!

~Manda

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    I know the movies aren't canon, but they seem to fit with what everyone is saying and unfortunately that's the only way I can picture it...

Anyways, it does seem like most of the time Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff seperate Gryffindor and Slytherin, which makes complete sense given the historic relationship. But even if they were switched around I don't think Harry would have trouble finding his table. There are only four people and I feel like you'd have a general idea of most people in your house. If all else fails look for a Weasely. But like I said, don't think it would be too hard to find the table if it got switched around.