Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next-Gen Weasley/Potter

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    I don't think of George getting married quickly after Fred's death, though I do agree he would be quite lost. In my personal canon he and Angelina start dating after R/Hr and H/G are already married (though I admit I also imagine those weddings, esp the first, not taking long at all). While the younger couples wait a bit for kids, George and Angelina, being the impulsive type, get pregnant early on in their marriage... perhaps by choice, perhaps not, these things happen. Thus, I have Fred and James as the same age and year at HOgwarts.

It's interesting reading everyone's take on these details, but it's important to remember that, at the end of the day, nearly all of this is just personal choice for the fanfic writer. We are all only speculating... nice to have so much freedom!
    Lovely banner by Minna

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    I am working on a second generation story and I would really like some thoughts on the cousins' age difference in my fanfic. I do have some reasoning for my choices, but I want to make sure the ages are believable without the explanation and if I need to make a point of explaining their age ranges in the story.

(in my story, Rose and Albus are seventh years, so I will be basing the ages off of, but I'll also put in their ages in the Epilogue too)

Teddy -------- Born in April 1998 ----- 25 in my story --- about 19 in the Epilogue
    Victoire ------ Born in May 2000 -------23 in my story --- about 17 in the Epilogue
    Dominique --- Born in August 2002 --- 21 in my story --- about 15 in the Epilogue
    Fred ---------- Born in June 2003 ----- 20 in my story --- about 14 in the Epilogue
    James -------- Born in July 2003 ------ 20 in my story --- about 14 in the Epilogue
    Louis --------- Born in August 2003 --- 20 in my story --- about 14 in the Epilogue
    Roxanne ----- Born July 2005 --------- 18 in my story --- about 12 in the Epilogue
    Scorpius* ---- Born October 2005 ----- 17 in my story --- about 11 in the Epilogue
    Albus --------- Born December 2005 -- 17 in my story --- about 11 in the Epilogue
    Rose --------- Born January 2006 ----- 17 in my story --- about 11 in the Epilogue
    Lysander* --- Born March 2006 ------- 17 in my story --- about 11 in the Epilogue
    Molly --------- Born November 2006 -- 16 in my story --- about 10 in the Epilogue
    Hugo --------- Born February 2007 ---- 16 in my story --- about 10 in the Epilogue
    Lorcan* ------ Born April 2007 --------- 16 in my story --- about 10 in the Epilogue
    Lucy --------- Born October 2007 ------ 15 in my story --- about 9 in the Epilogue
    Lily ----------- Born February 2008 ---- 15 in my story --- about 9 in the Epilogue

*not a cousin, but I still included them since they are on the family tree and are important characters

Okay, I noticed a lot of people as having Lucy and Molly as much older than I think they are, but may thinking goes along with how I think Percy and Audrey meet, which isn't until at least three or four years after the war. They don't get married until two years later and Molly arrives about a year after that.

Also, since George and Angelina's marriage seems to be the last discussion on this thread, I thought I'd share my views on that. I think that right after the war, they would both be very torn up about loosing Fred and find comfort in each other because they both knew him so well and loved him so much. (I am a supporter of the idea that Fred and Angeline dated during their sixth year but break up soon after he left Hogwarts, though they stayed good friends) Anyways, Angelina will always be partially in love with Fred, but tries to make herself fall in love with Georage who admits he has always really fancied her. This leads to a marriage almost exactly two years after the war. After rushing into the relationship, they wait three whole years before having Fred, though Roxanne follows very quickly. Also, even though this doesn't really belong here, I do see them as having a very rocky marriage since Angelina still loves Fred to some extent.

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Hi

To a great extent, the next-gen characters ages are up to you. There are a few fixed points, but for most of the kids (though not all) you can do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by WrenWinterSong View Post
    Teddy -------- Born in April 1998 ----- 25 in my story --- about 19 in the Epilogue
    Victoire ------ Born in May 2000 -------23 in my story --- about 17 in the Epilogue
    Teddy's birthday must be March or April 1998, and Victoire's is fixed, so there are no problems with these two.
    Dominique --- Born in August 2002 --- 21 in my story --- about 15 in the Epilogue
    Fred ---------- Born in June 2003 ----- 20 in my story --- about 14 in the Epilogue
    Louis --------- Born in August 2003 --- 20 in my story --- about 14 in the Epilogue
    Roxanne ----- Born July 2005 --------- 18 in my story --- about 12 in the Epilogue
    So far as I know, there is little canon information about this lot, so you can use these ages.
    James -------- Born in July 2003 ------ 20 in my story --- about 14 in the Epilogue
    This makes James two-and-a-half years older than Albus, and three school years above his little brother. In my personal opinion, they seem closer in age than this in the epilogue. There is also the problem of Ginny's Quidditch career. For this age to be correct, Ginny would fall pregnant on October 2002, a couple of months after her 21st birthday. That doesn't give her long to have an illustrious Quidditch career (she's 18 when she leaves school, so it's only three years as a professional). That's why I gave James an October 2004 birthday, it allows Ginny another 1 seasons of play (which in my opinion is still very short, but its the best achievable).
    Scorpius* ---- Born October 2005 ----- 17 in my story --- about 11 in the Epilogue
    Albus --------- Born December 2005 -- 17 in my story --- about 11 in the Epilogue
    Rose --------- Born January 2006 ----- 17 in my story --- about 11 in the Epilogue
    Lysander* --- Born March 2006 ------- 17 in my story --- about 11 in the Epilogue
    Of course, because I made my James so much younger than yours, that means that my Al has to be several months younger than yours too.
    Also, although a huge number of fanfics make Lorcan and Lysander (they are twins, by the way) contemporaries of the Potter kids, JKR has said that Luna had children "much later in life" than her friends. I give the Scamander twins a March 2016 birthday for that reason.
    Molly --------- Born November 2006 -- 16 in my story --- about 10 in the Epilogue
    Hugo --------- Born February 2007 ---- 16 in my story --- about 10 in the Epilogue
    Lorcan* ------ Born April 2007 --------- 16 in my story --- about 10 in the Epilogue
    Lucy --------- Born October 2007 ------ 15 in my story --- about 9 in the Epilogue
    Lily ----------- Born February 2008 ---- 15 in my story --- about 9 in the Epilogue

*not a cousin, but I still included them since they are on the family tree and are important characters

Okay, I noticed a lot of people as having Lucy and Molly as much older than I think they are, but may thinking goes along with how I think Percy and Audrey meet, which isn't until at least three or four years after the war. They don't get married until two years later and Molly arrives about a year after that.

Also, since George and Angelina's marriage seems to be the last discussion on this thread, I thought I'd share my views on that. I think that right after the war, they would both be very torn up about loosing Fred and find comfort in each other because they both knew him so well and loved him so much. (I am a supporter of the idea that Fred and Angeline dated during their sixth year but break up soon after he left Hogwarts, though they stayed good friends) Anyways, Angelina will always be partially in love with Fred, but tries to make herself fall in love with Georage who admits he has always really fancied her. This leads to a marriage almost exactly two years after the war. After rushing into the relationship, they wait three whole years before having Fred, though Roxanne follows very quickly. Also, even though this doesn't really belong here, I do see them as having a very rocky marriage since Angelina still loves Fred to some extent.
    I had always considered that Lily and Hugo would be in the same school year, I don't think that is an actual fact, it's simply that (to me) it seemed that they were close in age in the epilogue. Also I have to comment on the fact that Hugo is only 13 months younger than Rose. It's certainly possible, but I really can't see Hermione being so disorganised that she falls pregnant when she's still breastfeeding a four-month old baby. Perhaps that's just me, too.

There is a reason most people make Lucy and/or Molly are older than you make them. Percy is on the station in the epilogue. Harry hears him talking. Why would he be there if he wasn't seeing off at least one of his daughters? Also, if 13 months between the births of Rose and Hugo is a short period, you make the Molly/Lucy gap 11 months. Again, not impossible, but Percy is at least as organised as Hermione. I wonder if the magical community are aware of the reseach which seems to indicate that short times between birth appears to increase health risks to the younger siblings?

I also disagree about Fred/Angelina. He took her to the Yule Ball on GoF, but there was no inkling of anything between them during OotP (when she was Quidditch Captain). There were several scenes between them, and JKR didn't show any relationship at all. But that's a discussion for another thread.

-N-
    Last edited by Northumbrian; 09-22-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typos!

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Wow, you've given me a lot to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian View Post
    This makes James two-and-a-half years older than Albus, and three school years above his little brother. In my personal opinion, they seem closer in age than this in the epilogue. There is also the problem of Ginny's Quidditch career. For this age to be correct, Ginny would fall pregnant on October 2002, a couple of months after her 21st birthday. That doesn't give her long to have an illustrious Quidditch career (she's 18 when she leaves school, so it's only three years as a professional). That's why I gave James an October 2004 birthday, it allows Ginny another 1 seasons of play (which in my opinion is still very short, but its the best achievable).
    I did take this into consideration, and I have this idea that Ginny didn't necessarily mean to get pregnant and actually started her fourth season not knowing. When it became more apparent that she was pregnant, she ignored the early signs and refused to believe it. Obviously, though, around December, she couldn't deny it anymore and had to let one of the replacements play for her. I think she would have stayed "on the team" but obviously wouldn't be playing. I haven't worked out all the kinks, but I am pretty sure I read somewhere she was captain for one or two years, so I think she would have been at all the practices and all the games to captain the team from the ground. I know it's a little far-fetched, but believable, right?

Also, although a huge number of fanfics make Lorcan and Lysander (they are twins, by the way) contemporaries of the Potter kids, JKR has said that Luna had children "much later in life" than her friends. I give the Scamander twins a March 2016 birthday for that reason.
    I am going to have to work that out in my time line. I had always heard that they were twins but thought this was just a fan-favorite thing and not canon. I just looked at the Lexicon, though, and it does state they are twins. Also, I just read the interview where JKR states that Luna has kids at a much older age. I'll have to adjust some things in my story, but I hope it still works okay without Lorcan and Lysander.

had always considered that Lily and Hugo would be in the same school year, I don't think that is an actual fact, it's simply that (to me) it seemed that they were close in age in the epilogue. Also I have to comment on the fact that Hugo is only 13 months younger than Rose. It's certainly possible, but I really can't see Hermione being so disorganised that she falls pregnant when she's still breastfeeding a four-month old baby. Perhaps that's just me, too.
    Perhaps if I change Hugo from February to September? I know that still makes Rose only about 7 months when Hermione would get pregnant, but it seems more reasonable. Besides, my sister (who is very organized and health-conscious person) had her last two children less then a year apart, so I don't see a problem with them being so close in age. As for Hugo and Lily being in the same year, I really didn't get that feel in the Epilogue. Personally, I don't think they get along as well as Rose and Albus do since it is clear these latter two are good friends and Hugo and Lily are only mentioned to be talking about Houses and Sorting once. Maybe it's just the personalities I have given them that make them incompatible.

There is a reason most people make Lucy and/or Molly are older than you make them. Percy is on the station in the epilogue. Harry hears him talking. Why would he be there if he wasn't seeing off at least one of his daughters? Also, if 13 months between the births of Rose and Hugo is a short period, you make the Molly/Lucy gap 11 months. Again, not impossible, but Percy is at least as organised as Hermione. I wonder if the magical community are aware of the reseach which seems to indicate that short times between birth appears to increase health risks to the younger siblings?
    When I read the Epilogue, I first thought that Percy was there more on business than personal. He is saying something about broom regulations, so it sounds to me like he is there overseeing things. Perhaps the Ministry sends one of their higher-ups to King's Cross every year just to make sure everything goes okay, and Percy got the short end of the stick that year. I also think that if he had been seeing his kids off, there would have been a mention of them and Audrey somewhere.

As for the age, I honestly didn't think they were that close! I have to work on my math... I think what happened is that I switched Lucy and Lily's birthdays because I wanted Lily to be the youngest. But if I push Lily down to April and Lucy to March 2008, that would give a 15 months gap between Molly and Lucy.