Thread: Apparition

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?

Apparition

To Apparate, you only need to know the name of the place you're going to. True/False?

So Anti-Apparation charms are necessary anywhere you don't want people to be able to jump in and out of whenever they want, because they just need to know the name. True/False?

How does this work with distance? You can't Apparate in Hogwarts, but you could right outside the gates? Why doesn't everyone just Apparate to "right outside where the anti-Apparition charms"?
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Quote Originally Posted by AidaLuthien
    To Apparate, you only need to know the name of the place you're going to. True/False?
    True. I think that we get that from cannon as it doesn't appear that Hermione has been to all the places they go to in DH. (ie Godric's Hallow)

So Anti-Apparation charms are necessary anywhere you don't want people to be able to jump in and out of whenever they want, because they just need to know the name. True/False?
    True. Just knowing the name would make it very easy to Apparate anywhere. (That is kind of a scary thought)

How does this work with distance? You can't Apparate in Hogwarts, but you could right outside the gates? Why doesn't everyone just Apparate to "right outside where the anti-Apparition charms"?
    The only really good reason I can think of is that it would be rude, but maybe the anti-Apparition charms have a bit of a range, such as slightly outside the castle gates. I also see it working in a circular fashion, like a bubble of anti-Apparition.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Maybe "just outside Hogwarts" isn't a specific enough phrase? When they are learning apparition, the instructor really talks about envisioning the place, so if don't know how far outside Hogwarts it is, maybe you couldn't get a clear enough idea for it to work.

Also, I imagine even if you were right outside Hogwarts, there would still be additional protections in place before you could enter the building.

Hope that helps your thoughts.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple_and_PheonixFeather
    The only really good reason I can think of is that it would be rude, but maybe the anti-Apparition charms have a bit of a range, such as slightly outside the castle gates. I also see it working in a circular fashion, like a bubble of anti-Apparition.
    I meant more... would it work? Say you want to go to break into Hogwarts, so you Apparate to... a few yards outside where the Anti-Apparition charms function. Couldn't you just say/think that?

"Right outside the charms at Hogwarts, right outside the charms at Hogwarts"

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I meant more... would it work? Say you want to go to break into Hogwarts, so you Apparate to... a few yards outside where the Anti-Apparition charms function. Couldn't you just say/think that?

"Right outside the charms at Hogwarts, right outside the charms at Hogwarts"
    That's such a smart/witty thing to think of! I'd say, why not? That is a specific enough place, so I think that could be plausible, as long as you were focused enough
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts

I thought the implication was that you had to be able to visualise the place - thus Hermione is able to Apparate to Godric's Hollow from reading about it in A Rather Dry Summary Of Things In The Magical World That Only Hermione Granger Would Read Cover-To-Cover, but because of its semi-secret location people can't just show up right outside the wards surrounding Hogwarts, because only the people who put the wards up in the first place can really picture the area. I imagine for most places, thinking of the name is more or less the same thing as visualising the place (ie. Times Square, The Three Broomsticks, my mother's house), anyway.
    There is shadow under this red rock,/ (Come in under the shadow of this red rock),/ And I will show you something
    different from either/ Your shadow at morning striding behind you/ Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;/

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

DuelManSeven | DrabbleManSeven | DeadManStories | DeadManSounds

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I think you just need to know the name of the place. Although it may be because he's a house-elf, but Dobby gets them all to Shell Cottage without ever having been there. Ron tells him the name and the location in the cellar. Then later, Harry Apparates out of MM with Dobby having never been to Shell Cottage, or having read about it.

All he says is 'Bill and Fleur's ... Shell Cottage ... Bill and Fleur's.'

It does also say that Harry hoped that would 'suffice' to get him there. And it does.

(Info from Malfoy Manor in Deathly Hallows)

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts

Counterpoint to that, though, is that Ron's had plenty of time off-screen to give Harry a vague idea about the location and general identity of Shell Cottage between returning to Harry and Hermione and escaping from the Malfoy estate - and even if he didn't enquire about it further (which is likely, given how dense Harry can be), he's still not just thinking about the name Shell Cottage, but about Bill and Fleur, people that he knows, who live there, which could help cement the location.

Also, here's a thought. If that is how Apparating works (first getting a location then using other thoughts about that location to anchor it), it provides a simple explanation as to why you can't show up outside the wards of Hogwarts: the Anti-Apparition wards prevent Hogwarts being a location to focus on, so "just outside the wards of Hogwarts" and "10km west of Hogwarts" is just as impossible as "in the middle of the Great Hall".
    There is shadow under this red rock,/ (Come in under the shadow of this red rock),/ And I will show you something
    different from either/ Your shadow at morning striding behind you/ Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;/

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

DuelManSeven | DrabbleManSeven | DeadManStories | DeadManSounds

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSeven
    Also, here's a thought. If that is how Apparating works (first getting a location then using other thoughts about that location to anchor it), it provides a simple explanation as to why you can't show up outside the wards of Hogwarts: the Anti-Apparition wards prevent Hogwarts being a location to focus on, so "just outside the wards of Hogwarts" and "10km west of Hogwarts" is just as impossible as "in the middle of the Great Hall".
    ... that would explain a lot actually. I like this, and it will work very nicely into my story. Thank you.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    I would also guess that the anti-Apparation charm extends all the way through the Forbidden Forest. So Apparating right outside of the zone of the charm would still require quite a hike out of the witch or wizard.

Thanks to opaleye for the lovely banner!