Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patronus Charm

VioletValentine

Patronus Charm

Does a husband and wife's Patronus always match? (example: stag/doe or lion/lioness)

Is a Patronus always 'life-sized' and if so, is a larger animal Patronus harder to conjure?
    My guess for this question is yes they are life-sized and no its not harder. But i'm not sure.

Could a witch/wizard's Patronus take the form of an animal from a region other than where the witch/wizard lives? (example: A witch from Europe -- her Patronus takes the form of a panda bear or a bald eagle)

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    I just have a question on the form of the Patronus itself.

What determines the form?

Is it supposed to be an animal that represents yourself? Or does it represent your protector? Or your happiest memories?

... or do we even know canonically?

Edit:

Oh I had another question.

Harry learns the Patronus Charm at 13, earlier than anyone else before.

When are they taught normally at Hogwarts do you think? A group of fifth and sixth years didn't know the charm (then again, they've had some awful DADA professors). Is it covered seventh year? When would make sense?
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Does a husband and wife's Patronus always match? (example: stag/doe or lion/lioness)

No, Ron's was a dog and Hermione's was an otter (otters are part of the Muskat family ... like weasles) Harry's was a stag and Ginny's was a horse.

Could a witch/wizard's Patronus take the form of an animal from a region other than where the witch/wizard lives? (example: A witch from Europe -- her Patronus takes the form of a panda bear or a bald eagle)
    Don't see why not. Kingsley's was a lynx and there's no reason to believe he wasn't born and raised in Britain. Dumbledore's was a Phoenix. I don't think they're supposed to be native to the UK particularly.

Is a Patronus always 'life-sized' and if so, is a larger animal Patronus harder to conjure?
    My guess for this question is yes they are life-sized and no its not harder. But i'm not sure.

I imagine they're life-sized or bigger if you need to charge down a load of Dementors. Perhaps you can reduce them if you're sending messages. I don't think the size of the animal would necessarily make it harder to cast. You can't choose the animal, after all.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

First Year Hufflepuff
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    No, Ron's was a dog and Hermione's was an otter (otters are part of the Muskat family ... like weasles) Harry's was a stag and Ginny's was a horse.
    Well, that was their Patronus before they were married. A Patronus can change it's form. Snape is a great example, but I don't know if their Patronus changed when they got married. I'm going to say that they don't have to be the same, though.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    It takes the form of something the castor see as a protector or a strong symbol of security, which is why Harry's was a stag (for his had), Snape's was a doe (for Lily), Hermione's was an otter (for Ron, Ottery St. Cattpole), and Arthur's was a weasle (for his family).

Is it supposed to be an animal that represents yourself? Or does it represent your protector? Or your happiest memories?
    I doesn't represent yourself. That is what an Animagus is for. It could possibley represent either a protector or happy memories, as long as it's the opposite of what the Dementors are supposed to make you feel.

When are they taught normally at Hogwarts do you think? A group of fifth and sixth years didn't know the charm (then again, they've had some awful DADA professors). Is it covered seventh year? When would make sense?
    It would probably be a N.E.W.T. topic, and in the seventh year would make the most sense. It is supposed to be a very difficult charm, after all.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Well, that was their Patronus before they were married. A Patronus can change it's form. Snape is a great example, but I don't know if their Patronus changed when they got married. I'm going to say that they don't have to be the same, though.
    Snape very probably didn't have a Patronus before he turned back to Dumbledore. JKR said most Death Eaters didn't or couldn't cast a Patronus. Snape could only cast his because his love for Lily was the only good thing in his life. Therfore his didn't change.

Now, regarding Ron: JKR revealed his Patronus in an interview, it's not mentioned in the books. Therefore I'm inclined to think it remained a terrier and didn't become a male otter.

Tonks' Patronus changed to a wolf because she felt safe and protected by Remus. I very much doubt that Remus' Patronus was a wolf. It's the one thing he loathes about himself and makes him feel unsafe to those around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil Med
    It takes the form of something the castor see as a protector or a strong symbol of security, which is why Harry's was a stag (for his had), Snape's was a doe (for Lily), Hermione's was an otter (for Ron, Ottery St. Cattpole), and Arthur's was a weasle (for his family).
    Yes, exactly. It's not a representation of yourself, although some people (James Potter and McGonagall) have the same Animagus form as their Patronus.

Banner by minnabird

First Year Hufflepuff
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

Quote Originally Posted by AidaLuthien
    I just have a question on the form of the Patronus itself.

... or do we even know canonically?

Edit:

Oh I had another question.

Harry learns the Patronus Charm at 13, earlier than anyone else before.

I believe I read somewhere that the Patronus is some form of your happiest memory or some form of something you love.
    An example would be Harry's Patronus which takes the shape of a stag (the same as his father) or Tonk's whose takes the shape of a wolf (she's married to Lupin whose a werewolf). But I also believe whatever animal it takes the form of must in someway represent who you are.
    Ron who is very loyal has a terrier Patronus and Dumbledor who is very magical has a Phoenix.

I agree that students probably studied the Patronus Cham in their seventh year. Possible sooner if it was a good teacher!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    A Patronus can change because they view someone or something new as a source of protection and happiness, but I don't think it is something that happens to every married couple. In fact, I tend to think of it as a little cliche if Ginny's Patronus does change to a doe.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not quite sure if an Animagus represents yourself. It does, but don't you first choose the form you want to take?
    No, JKR is very clear about this. You cannot choose either your Patronus form or your Animagus. The Animagus is the animal you most resemble - personality wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaky Cauldron chat
    Robert Dawson for Asda - If you were an animagus, what would you like to be?

JK Rowling: This always amuses me this idea. You see, you do not know what you are going to be until you have done it, so you might spend half a decade trying to turn into an animal and then find out you were a slug or something, which would be most unpleasant.

I gave Hermione my favourite animal, which is an otter. If you wanted to be something impressive, you would probably be something like a stag or a tiger, would you not, I just suspect I might be a guinea pig or something which would be so embarrassing.

The Patronus speaks its message in the casters voice, so they might be speaking once they know the Patronus has got there - like picking up a telephone. Or else they speak their message whilst conjuring it.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

Lovemagic
    I doesn't represent yourself. That is what an Animagus is for. It could possibley represent either a protector or happy memories, as long as it's the opposite of what the Dementors are supposed to make you feel.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not quite sure if an Animagus represents yourself. It does, but don't you first choose the form you want to take? But then again, I can't see why James would choose to be a stag; they're not talked about very much and unless he did loads of research...eh.

I'll have to agree with everyone down there. A patronus should represent whatever makes you feel happiness and security. It can change if those two feelings switch to coming from something else.

I've got another quick question: Every animal's size is different. A cat is quite small, but a lion is bigger and has that much more light. Would the size affect the strength of the patronus?

Also, if what someone said down there is true, can you will your patronus to change sizes? To get smaller if you just needed to send a message?

And on sending messages by patronus, how exactly does that work? I'm guessing that you just...dunno, think the message while you cast it, but how do you send it somewhere else?

Hayden