Thread: When did Peter switch sides?

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points

When did Peter switch sides?

The Lexicon is very consistent in all of its pages, and says that Peter joined Voldemort's ranks in 1979. I definitely trust the Lexicon, but I can't figure out how they came up with that date, and why they're so sure it happened before the Prophecy. I had always assumed that Peter had joined shortly before betraying Lily and James, but I suppose he was spying for over a year when he did so.

Can anyone find anything in the books? I'm hoping to write a one-shot about this era, and I'm a tad confused as to the timeline.

Thanks to opaleye for the lovely banner!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I tend not to trust the Lexicon on every detail, although I agree it's a very good starting point.

For instance, there are places where they have the Marauders' DOB's as 1957/58 and the Whomping Willow incident as happening in their sixth year. These pages were written before Deathly Hallows and haven't been updated recently. (I think the legal action put them off)

For Peter, I think you can say that he was definitely passing information from 1980, but he was probably targeted as a weak link as soon as they left school (or maybe before). The DE's would need to work on him.

There is also the point that Dumbledore suspected there was a spy for a year, but Peter may have been working for Voldemort for longer and Dumbledore didn't realise for a year.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Midnight Storm
    From PoA:

"DON'T LIE!" bellowed Black. "YOU'D BEEN PASSING INFORMATION TO HIM A YEAR BEFORE LILY AND JAMES DIED! YOU WERE HIS SPY!"

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, page 274 of the Australian paperback edition
    We know that Lily and James were killed 31st October, 1981. A year before that is, obviously, 1980.

That's the only information I could find about it, so I'm not sure why the Lexicon said 1979. Perhaps they're implying that Peter had joined the ranks before he began feeding information to Voldemort.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but that's all I've got.

~Midnight Storm