Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator -- Part VIII

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Hinds - It goes up with your post count. It's just for fun! It follows the plot of the books.

Ron x Hermione - Taken care of. Thanks for telling us!

GinnyPotter - Taken care of as well.

Thanks to opaleye for the lovely banner!

Lily of the US
    Okay- are links the same thing as hotlinks? Because I got a banner made by sayiansirius and they said "hotlinks are evil" and not to use them... does that mean that I can't put a link on my banner? Thanks so much! ~megan~

childofpotter13

Question I've got a question!, oh wait, never mind

Okay, my wonderful question is . . .
    At the bottom of my screen, and probably a lot of other people's too, there is a little box that says, and I quote, "Posting Rules." Inside the box are for statements, but the one that concerns me states "You may not post attatchments." Does mugglenet just not let the average person post attatchments, or do you have to have a certain amount of posts or something. Thank you so much for the time you spent answering my question,
    -Sam-

Edit: Yeah, there was no real reason for me asking, I was just curious . . .

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Lily of the US -- Hotlinking is when you just use the same link that the file is uploaded onto when somebody gives you a banner in your signature. For example, if I made a banner for you and uploaded it onto my photobucket account, using the same link from the photobucket I used just to show you the banner would be hotlinking. Hotlinking is bad because it's using other people's bandwidth. So you're welcome to use a link, just make sure it's your own.

Thanks to opaleye for the lovely banner!

*Oh-so-lovely*
    I submitted a chapter and got a validation letter five days ago, but it hasn't shown up on the forum. I've emailed the moderator who validated my story twice, but I haven't gotten a response or anything. What should I do?

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    childofpotter13 - Your ability to add attatchments depends on the forum you are in, in some places, such as this forum, attachments are not allowed but in others they are. I'm not quite sure what the reason for this is but I'm guessing its just a way of stopping spam and any unwanted links on the site. Is there a specific attachment you wished to add? If not, is it really a problem that you can't attach it? PM a moderator if you want more information, but I don't see the need for attachments myself when you can just say it in a post. Most members explore the boards happily without ever noticing the attachment button.

Oh-so-lovely - you mean your story hasn't shown up after validation? PM me the details and I'll try and sort it out for you now.

Unregistered

Beta

I'm sort of new to this, so excuse the strange question, but:

If I get my story checked through a beta, what exactly are the kind of things that they can point out in the story, besides grammatical errors? Can they tell me areas where the plot, sort of "loses it" or characters that act slightly OOC, or just if aspects of the story aren't correct?

I'm not really sure how important this is.

joybelle423
    Quick question -- who is ciaranfirebolt? It says he/she is an Unspeakable ... ?

And I noticed that the list of Heads of House and Prefects is not up to date in the House Sorting - OPEN thread, but it seems correct in the FAQs.

~ Abigail

Edit: Oh, okay! Thanks Jan!

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

Ciaran is a staffer on the main MuggleNet site. His status as admin here is as a link between us and the main site. You won't see him around too often though.

I'll go update the HoH thread.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

Estellia
    Are we allowed to post a new topic in '
    The Language and Cultural Corner of the Desk' or do we ask a moderator to do it for us? I'm a bit confused about the abilities of members.