Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator -- Part VIII

Lady Granger

Question

Hi! My question is:

If you have a thread in the Beta Wanted section, but then post on it to tell the moderator to Lock & Grave, are you allowed to start a new thread for a different story?

Thanks,
    Lady Granger

Snape's Talon
    I know I asked a few Mods this via PM already on behalf of some of my students, but then realized that others may benefit from seeing the answer.

If a fic features a student going back in time and engaging in a romance with a student who later becomes one of their teachers (think Hermione/Snape meets Back to the Future), should the fic be flagged with the new Student/Teacher Relationship warning?

myownmuggles notes that you can't go wrong being playing it safe and putting up the warning. deanine informs me only if the student returns to their present (or the future) and continues the romance should it apply.

(Yes, I know ... I answered my own question, but hey, it was with Mod-given answers. Any other Mod may feel free to chime in!)

I'd also like to know what type of time limit is going to be given for authors to add this warning to their already validated stories. Are you giving folks a month or are warnings going out as we speak (or type ... or whatever)?

myownmuggle
    Lady Granger: Yes, that's fine. Once your first thread has been locked and graved, you can post one for a new story.

Snape's Talon: I don't know that we've discussed applying the warning retroactively, but I'd like to hear from the other mods on that one as well.

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    Here's what I've been doing in HG/SS. (Leah may or may not be doing the same, we haven't talked about it.) For stories already published but still in progress, I've been asking my authors to add the warning as the chapters come through. For completed stories, I like to nose around and read and if I find one, I'll add the warning to it. Of course, all authors are encouraged to add an appropriate warning to completed works.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

sean45812
    Sorry if this is an annoying question, but how will we be notified if our story makes it into the database? Will I recieve an email saying it has been accepted?

6. 02-22-2007, 01:11 AM

7. 02-23-2007, 12:34 PM

songbook99
    sean45812, you should receive an email notifying you of either validation or rejection of anything you submit to the queue.

9. 02-25-2007, 12:41 AM

MJ_Padfoot
    If someone has asked this, I'm truly sorry. But you know these 'Plot Bunnies'
    (\_/)
    (o.o)
    (><)

Are they part of a thread or just something random that people like? ~MJ

Whylorinda
    I'm currently writing a story about Regulus Black's son, and I've had to move his date of death from 1980 (the offical one listed on the Lexicon) to 1985 so the events play out properly. Otherwise, the story will be entirely canonical. Would I have to put an AU warning when I submit it? Or is it a minor enough issue that a simple note will do? Since dates aren't a major focus of the books, I don't think it should really be an issue unless you think really hard about the timelines, but I'm not sure. Thank you!

Unregistered
    I wrote a poem and it's 76 words long. Whenever I try to submit it however, it says it can't be under 100 words. I also read that poetry does not have a minimum word limit. What should I do?

13. 02-26-2007, 03:54 PM

songbook99
    MJ_Padfoot, the plot bunnies are not a part of any thread I have seen. They are just things that random people like and put into their signatures.

Whylorinda, I think either an AU Warning or a note in the Summary of your story will do. However, you want to check with the moderator of the categor you are submitting to just in case. If you're submitting to General or another category modded by everyone, you may want to just include the Warning and a note explaining the warning to be on the safe side.

To answer the question about poem length, you might want to find a way to increase the word count to 100 words or you might want to contact MagicalMaeve, the moderator for poetry, and see if she has any suggestions for you.