Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator -- Part VIII

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

Is it possible for a story to be rejected because of style? Everything else is fine, but can the mods reject a story because they don't think the writer "manages to pull off" a style?

EDIT: Thanks Roxy Black, but I don't mean category by style. I mean the author's personal writing style regardless of the category. And I'm afraid I've just been adivesed by a mod to change my style because apparently I couldn't manage to pull it off (as can be understood from the rejection letter), but the whole point of the story is the style. Seemed a bit weird to me... ?
    The Run of the Mill

The phenomenal banner is by MissBean

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    Loralie - I believe that smilies are not included as images, however we don't want to see a fiction made up of smilies. If it is just one or two, I guess that would be ok. I'll check and get back to you.

*Oh-so-lovely*- An entire fiction is not usually deleted because of one chapter. If this has happened to you, it was most likely an accident on the moderators part. If you have you chapters saved to your PC then contact a moderator explaining what has happened and they should be able to sort it out for you.

childofpotter13 - If the sign up thread for a class is locked it is because that class is full. I believe you can sign up to a waiting list, which can be found in the Study Hall, incase any student drops out or you can sign up to any of the classes that are still open. Sorry.

kehribar - it depends what you mean by style. No moderator will reject a fiction because of the Author's writing style however if you are attempting to write a dark/angsty fiction which doesn't seem dark or angsty I believe we can reject it and advise you to submit it to a more suitable category.

joybelle423
    Well, to kind of expand on kehribar's question ... what if that happens -- that a mod has rejected a fic because they didn't like the writing style? And if it's not just me that disagrees with the mod, but my betas and other people around the forums, too? Should we contact another mod?

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Looking for Nicholas Flamel

Abigail [which I hope I spelled right]: A mod really won't reject just because they don't like the author's style. It can be rejected if, say, the author uses fragments or run-ons too often, in which case, they really should edit their fic. If, however, you really don't see why your fic was rejected for having a certain style, I would contact the mod who rejected it for more clarification as to what you need to do to improve.

GORGEOUS banner by Kat/Mistletoe! Thank you so much!
    Icon by me [disillusion_row on livejournal].

JewellPotterFan

question

Just curious - Why the 13 age limit? Because my friend is eleven (don't ask) and she's an amazing writer. She loves Harry Potter as well and was very annoyed that she was too young for MNFF.

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    As someone who has been writing since the age of ten and finished a chaptered novel at the age of eleven, I can understand this frustration. However, it is not just our site policy, it is a legal requirement. I understand how there can be very mature eleven year olds and very immature eighteen year olds, but the law says that someone under the age of thirteen is not legally capable of making a decision to post an original work on the internet. (I believe that's a really brief, simple summary.)

My best wishes to your friend, and encourage her to keep writing, because if she has this much talent at age eleven, I'm sure she will astound us one day in the future, either through fanfiction or original work.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    JewellPotterFan - I'm afraid we have to have a 13 age limit due to legal reasons. It is the same all over the net. I found it very annoying when I was younger too but we will still be here in years to come.

Edit: oops, posted at the same time Sorry.

MissPurplePen
    I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but here goes:

Last time I was online, my post count was 43--Beset By Owls level. I haven't made any posts in the sections that tally posts since then, but now all of a sudden it says I have 93 posts, and it's still stuck at Beset By Owls level. Is there a way I can fix this and bring it back down to 43?

Thanks.

--Mariah

parsleycat

Umm

Is this the right place to ask? How can you put links into banners?

Edited by Potterphile12: This question has been answered many times. Please be sure to check the FAQ and previous Ask a Moderator threads before you ask a question.

Vindictus Viridian
    Some of these posts were apparently unapproved and therefore unseen -- I'll try to catch up a little.

Childofpotter13, you still haven't joined the Student usergroup; the option is under User CP. There's a Questions thread for that in this subforum.

marjer4, the site has had problems with getting letters out, especially to people with certain email addresses (it seems to like no hotmail account but mine, for instance.) For some reason, it has also been allowing reviews of unposted chapters, which are currently being classed as spam reviews -- at least, they are when I catch them. There's a thread for this in Questions also, under "I didn't get my rejection letter..." so you should post there with your category and so on. You should also go down to General Fanfiction Discussion, where there is a list of reasons a fic might be rejected.

As for 'style,' that's a very all-encompassing word. If you pick up something called a style manual, it will be mostly grammar and punctuation rules. If you submit a diary fic, for instance, style is a concern because it has to SOUND like a diary and yet still follow all the other site rules about mechanics and so on. Yes, that means no smilies. It also means very little dialogue, as only future writers spend much time trying to copy people's conversations down word-for-word. This is a good argument for thinking long and hard about whether you really want to write a diary fic or stick with good old-fashioned narrative. If the muse insists, then the muse wins, but you've given yourself a hard row to hoe.

If your style happens to include eight-mile-long words that are almost used correctly, you might get rejected for that, too. Unique personal style still has to follow the rules.