Thread: Harry the Slytherin

Red Memory

Harry the Slytherin

Hello all,

I've been an HP fan for a long time now but only recently turned my attention to the fanfiction. Being a complete newbie to this deep and complex world I have a request of all you well experienced old hands.

What is the best "Harry is sorted into Slytherin" fanfic? I don't care about parings, but I do care about plot and quality. I know this is one of those classic plot points in HP fanfiction so I'm hoping there is an answer! Please add suggestions for me to read.

Thank you,

Red Memory

Simply Being
    Welcome! I have a few suggestions.

First, here's a nice little one-shot.

Title: Expectations
    Author: Potterworm
    Rating/Warnings: 3rd-5th Years, Warnings: Alternate Universe, Substance Abuse, Violence
    Genre: Alternate Universe
    Length: 1,930 words
    Summary:
    People often become who others expect them to be. When Harry was sorted into Slytherin, he realized he was alone, friendless, and apparently meant to be evil.
    But if you prefer something longer, there's "A Different Road". There are actually three installments (following Harry's first three years) but the third remains unfinished.

Title: A Different Road
    Author: black_ink
    Rating/Warnings: 3rd-5th Years, Warnings: Alternate Universe, Violence
    Length: 69 K or 33 chapters
    Summary:
    [Year 1: Complete] Harry's a Slytherin and friends with Draco Malfoy. How will his years at Hogwarts turn out, now that he's a Slytherin? Will he turn to the Dark Arts and be a follower of Voldemort? Or will he kill Voldemort, or die trying, after he learns of the prophecy? Will Harry's choices lead him down a different road? Follow and you will see...
    Title: A Different Road
    Rating/Warnings: 3rd-5th Years, Warnings: Alternate Universe, Violence
    Length: 69 K or 33 chapters
    Summary:
    [Year 1: Complete] Harry's a Slytherin and friends with Draco Malfoy. How will his years at Hogwarts turn out, now that he's a Slytherin? Will he turn to the Dark Arts and be a follower of Voldemort? Or will he kill Voldemort, or die trying, after he learns of the prophecy? Will Harry's choices lead him down a different road? Follow and you will see...
    Title: A Different Road II: Influence of a Diary
    Rating/Warnings: 6th-7th Years, Warnings: Abuse, Alternate Universe, Character Death, Violence
    Length: 127038 or 44 chapters
    Summary:
    [Year 2: Complete] Its Harry’s second year as a Slytherin, and the Chamber of Secrets has been opened. The Heir of Slytherin is out there somewhere, having students petrified left and right, and by the end of the year someone will die from Slytherin’s horrible beast. But this time, Harry's the one with Riddle's diary.
    Title: A Different Road III: Friend or Foe
    Rating/Warnings: 6th-7th Years, Warnings: Alternate Universe, Violence
    Length: 31 K or 10 chapters
    Summary:
    [Year 3: 10 of N/A] Its Harry’s third year as a Slytherin; the infamous prisoner Sirius Black is on the loose after twelve years…and, of course, after Harry. So, to keep him safe, Dumbledore is having Harry spend the summer with the last person he would ever want to temporarily live with. Things only get worse as, at Hogwarts, Black keeps trying to break into the castle and friendships will end. At the end of the year, Black won’t end up on the run nor will he end up a free man, and Pettigrew won’t escape on his own, but with some unexpected help, making the ending of Harry’s third year a can’t-miss…
    Hope this helped!

-Danielle