Thread: Subjects and Sins - Week #6 -Results-

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare

Subjects and Sins - Week #6 -Results-

ASCETIC ASTRONOMY

You've settled nicely into Hogwarts and are well into your second month. You probably like the House you're in, as well.

But how are the lessons going?

For the next few weeks, the weeklies are going to be based around the subjects taught at Hogwarts and one of the seven deadly sins. You need to write a drabble of between 300 - 500 words based on both the prompts given.

You may write an OC or a canon character. You may write a student or a professor, but the drabble must take place in the lesson the prompt suggests.

You may write any POV, tense or era, but we want to get the feeling of being in the actual lesson.

PROMPT 1 ~ ASTRONOMY

PROMPT 2 ~ GLUTTONY

Form for your drabble:

PHP Code:
    [B]Name:[/B]
    [
    B]House:[/B]
    [
    B]Title:[/B]
    [
    B]Ratings/Warnings:[/B]
    [
    B]Word Count:[/B]
    [
    B]A/N:[/B
    Please direct any questions to the "Ask a Barmaid thread" here

All standard MNFF guidelines must be followed. Whilst a minor typo can be ignored, glaring SPaG (and canon misspellings) cannot. This has led us to discount marvellous drabbles before now, so if you're not sure, then use a beta. Your barmaids have been known to glower at canon inaccuracies, so please don't have Gabrielle Delacour transferring to Hogwarts to join Harry in a lesson. It didn't happen.

This competition will close on Sunday 21st November at 10pm GMT. (you have an extra day because I'm out on Saturday )

Thank you

Your Barmaids.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Name: ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: The Stomach Upset
    Ratings/Warnings: 1st/2nd Years -- None
    Word Count: 499
    A/N: Eww.

The turkey had been delicious, but the treacle tart was even better. Gregory couldn’t stop himself; he wanted everything in front of him — a lot of it. The pumpkin cakes and fudge and biscuits all beckoned to him like those sea sirens that Binns had been on about earlier that day before his regular afternoon nap had set in.

He didn’t think he could take another bite, but that was easily remedied by stashing a little bit of everything into the pockets of his robes for a late-night snack. Since it was Wednesday, that meant that there was a midnight Astronomy lesson, which made the idea of a bite to eat afterward just that much more appealing.

Seeing the blatant stowing of sweets, Draco sneered, “What’s the matter, Goyle? Your mum not like you enough to send you that sort of thing?”

“Sod off, Malfoy,” Gregory replied through a face full of raspberry tart, crumbs escaping from his mouth. He resented having to be nice to Draco, who was a superior little git, but that was the way of things. No one, however, was going to tell him he couldn’t have a few extra desserts.

“If you direct your telescopes to the western sky, you will observe the constellation Aries, which works in conjunction of neighbouring Triangulum to accelerate the effects of Transfiguration between the hours of five and six in the morning on the third Friday of every lunar month.” Professor Sinistra strolled through the flock of yawning students, tweaking their telescopes in the right direction and prodding the ones who had fallen asleep sitting up.

While Sinistra’s back was turned, Gregory would snatch a sweet from his pocket and stuff it into his mouth before she looked his way again. Draco wrinkled his nose in distaste, and Vincent elbowed him asking for a piece of treacle tart. On cue, he squinted into his telescope and repeated the same observations that the Ravenclaw girl next to him had said to her partner.

Cramming another biscuit down his throat, Gregory felt his belly roil. He started regretting the last few desserts that he had inhaled as his last few bites reached the site of his gastrointestinal distress. It was obvious to him that this was not going to end well.

Noticing that Gregory was no longer completing his assignment, Sinistra came over to stand over him, arms crossed. “Mr Goyle, is there any particular reason why you aren’t working like the rest of your classmates?”

When he opened his mouth to deny her claim, Gregory felt vomit rise in his throat, prompting him to snap his jaw closed.

Still waiting for an answer, Sinistra said, “Well?”

Unable to hold in his sickness any longer, Gregory jettisoned the content of his stomach right at Sinistra’s feet — or more namely, on them. Opening his eyes, which had been squeezed shut, he saw the puddle of puke, which brought on a new wave of illness.

Sinistra stormed off, muttering about ‘bloody kids’.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Ah, Jess,

I think I love you. My only entrant.

Take .... um ... how many points am I allowed to award for loyalty/barflyness?

None, you say.

Now, that is a shame.

Guys, I shall leave this open until ... Tuesday 10pm GMT. If you want to enter than get them in fast. If I only get a few entries, but they're of sufficiently hight quality, then I may well award points for a 1,2,3. Yes a reverse cakewoman

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

CoolCatElly
    I couldn't let the puffs down now, could it?

Name: CoolCatElly
    House: HUFFLEPUFF
    Title: I Didn't See That One Coming
    Ratings/Warnings: 1-2nd years
    Word Count: 499
    A/N: All credit goes to Gina for giving me this great idea of using WWW sweets.

“Now,” said Professor Woodfield, “please focus your telescopes on the planet of Saturn, and draw and label the position and relative size of each of its rings. I want to see real focus now, please chaps. For homework tonight, I would like each of you to write a detailed description of the movement of Saturn in its orbit in relation to the rest of the solar system, to be handed in next week.”

There was a scuttle of activity as the class scribbled down the instructions and started to unpack their telescopes. He smiled fondly at the students around him; he had been thrilled when the owl from the headmistress had arrived two months previously, informing him of Professor Sinistra’s resignation and offering him the job. So far - it was only his third lesson of the term - things seemed to be going perfectly.

Among his favourites was James Potter, a sweet boy who was only in his first year at Hogwarts. He certainly seemed to be living up to his father’s reputation, he thought as he watched the boy help little Tom Freedman set up.

Now, Tom was a whole other story, of course. He was a fat, clumsy boy, and with his straw-coloured hair and small eyes, he reminded Woodfield in an unpleasant way of a bully he had known as a child. Yes, even now he was trying to stuff a handful of bright yellow sweets into his mouth behind the cover of the telescope.

“Freedman, pay attention now!”

The boy turned scarlet and poked himself in the eye by accident, and the Professor thought savagely that it served him right for being so gluttonous.

The lesson continued without further event for the next while. However, every time Woodfield reached James and Tom, he could not help but compare the two. He could have sworn the boy looked fatter every time he passed. About ten minutes or so before the class ended, he again reached the two boys and stared.

It must be a trick of the light, he thought as he blinked confusedly a few times. However, the next moment he heard a piercing yelp, and suddenly Tom Freedman was rolling sideways across the floor, distinctly resembling a giant beach ball, his little arms and legs flailing wildly at his sides.

“Class dismissed!” Woodworth called wildly as he whipped out his wand to try and deflate the boy.

He turned at the sound of a loud shout of glee, followed by cheering and more laughter, only to see none other than James Potter climbing down the stairs, the label of a bag of bright yellow sweets bearing the inscription WWW just visible in his open bag.

Professor Woodfield frowned, feeling slightly uncomfortable. All his previous confidence seemed to be seeping through the floorboards, and he had a feeling that this job was not going to be such a breeze after all.

He would have to keep a close eye on that Potter boy...

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Both hilarious. Both well written. Both used the prompts correctly and in an ingenious way.

I can't split you, it wouldn't be fair, but I shall award you both 5 points for making me giggle rather a lot.

Thank you

Hufflepuff - 5 points
    Ravenclaw - 5 points

The Barmaids

Banner by minnabird