Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British XIII

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Being British XIII

Since the last thread has started to overflow, here is a new one for the continuation of discussions on all things British. The last two questions to be asked were:

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Do British publics schools (or just state schools or non-boarding schools) have prefects like there are at Hogwarts? What about Head Boys and Head Girls? Or is this something that only exists in boarding schools? Or do what they have in public schools have different names?
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMeg
    I was wondering how common uniforms are in British high-schools?
    Thanks

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

wishbones and witches
    Do British publics schools (or just state schools or non-boarding schools) have prefects like there are at Hogwarts? What about Head Boys and Head Girls? Or is this something that only exists in boarding schools? Or do what they have in public schools have different names?
    They're pretty common. Both the secondary schools I've been to have Prefects and a Head Girl and Boy. Though I should point out that there's a lot more than eight prefects in most of them; in my school over half the year group is made up of prefects. Not all schools have them, but there are quite a lot that do.

From what I've seen, more schools have uniforms than not. Sixth forms and colleges (for 16-18 year olds) don't even if they're part of schools that do have uniforms. Some sixth forms have strict dress codes though and they make you were suits and business wear to school.

Hope I helped!
    xxSue

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!

I think it depends on the school. My sixth form was technically a state school, but it was compulsory boarding for years 7-11, so in practice it was more like a private school. They had prefects and a Head Boy and Girl, but it was only the sixth formers who were eligable for them. I think that year 11s had boarding prefects, but I can't be sure. With other state schools, it depends. The school that majority of my friends went to didn't hve prefects, but their like sister school did. They didn't have a Head Boy or girl, though. I would disagree that outside private or boarding schools that the prefect system is common, though. When you see state schools on TV, they never mention prefects or the like, and other than the one mentioned, I've never heard of a state school having prefects.

What you've also got to remember is that the system will differ from school to school. In my secondary school, we had a lot more duties with the students than at the sixth form. We had to partol at lunch time, sit at a lunch table with the younger students, do door duty into the dining room, and had a form assigned to us for wet breaks and stuff. In the sixth form, as far as I could tell, it was just a ceremonial position. You wore a posh cape at open day and prizegiving. The system will differ from school to school.

Incredibly common. I've never seen a school that hasn't had a uniform.

Hope this helps.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    I have another question. Do people drink egg nog in Great Britain?
    Thank you so much for all the help.

psijupiter
    I've never had it either, I don't think I know anyone who has. Googling informs me that the drink probably originated in England though. Given the number of raw eggs in it, I wonder if it's popularity decreased around the time of the salmonella/raw egg scare Britian had in the late 80s? That's just speculation though.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Well, I've never had it, but Mrs Weasley dishes it out at Christmas, so apparently we do

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Third Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls
    Hey guys! Wondering: do you guys use the word pram a lot? Or would it be more appropriate to say stroller or baby carriage?
    ~Rissy

That beautiful banner was made by Annalise!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by FlightOfSong
    Hey guys! Wondering: do you guys use the word pram a lot? Or would it be more appropriate to say stroller or baby carriage?
    Pram is the main word that comes to mind. We also have buggies and pushchairs though they're a slightly different type of thing to a pram. I certainly don't think I ever hear stroller and baby carriage seems rather old fashioned.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Egg nog
    It's the sort of drink that we know about, but I don't think I've ever drunk it. I don't think it's lack of use had anything to do with the salmonella scare, though. It's just oldfashioned.

Pram/stroller
    I have three kids born in 90's and 2000's. I had a pram and a buggy. We do use pushchairs and strollers, but I think pram and buggy are more common.

Head girl/ prefect
    My daughter is in a state secondary school at the moment. They have a head girl and a head boy. There are also some deputies. She doesn't think there are prefects, but there are pupils who are 'monitors' or 'student reps'.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Midnight Storm

Mild insults?

I'm just wondering... what are the average British "mild" insults? In FF, I've seen 'git' used often, as well as 'dolt.'

Please reply!

~Midnight Storm