Thread: Muffliato and Imperturbable Charm

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemagic
    Quick question. I've noticed that a lot of authors have their characters use Muffliato to block sound from going out through a closed door. I thought the correct charm was the Imperturbable Charm. Or curse--can't remember exactly.

So does anyone know the exact uses for these two spells?

Also, is there a correct list of most or all of the canon spells and terms somewhere around here?

Hayden
    Muffliato creates a faint buzzing sound that prevents other people from overhearing your conversation. The Imperturbable Charm only repels physical objects, but not sound. However, Molly Weasley used the Imperturbable Charm to prevent eavesdropping on Order meetings not by actually blotting out sound, but by preventing Extendable Ears from being slipped through the door.

Tim the Enchanter

EDIT: Looks like the Post Nargles have mixed up the order of things again...

Lovemagic

Muffliato and Imperturbable Charm

Quick question. I've noticed that a lot of authors have their characters use Muffliato to block sound from going out through a closed door. I thought the correct charm was the Imperturbable Charm. Or curse--can't remember exactly.

So does anyone know the exact uses for these two spells?

Also, is there a correct list of most or all of the canon spells and terms somewhere around here?

Hayden

Lovemagic
    Right. My question about the list is still open, but now I have another question.

Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Muffliato creates a faint buzzing sound that prevents other people from overhearing your conversation. The Imperturbable Charm only repels physical objects, but not sound. However, Molly Weasley used the Imperturbable Charm to prevent eavesdropping on Order meetings not by actually blotting out sound, but by preventing Extendable Ears from being slipped through the door.
    Does anyone know the origins of Muffliato and the Imperturbable Charm? I'm pretty sure that some background information on Muffliato was mentioned in the books themselves. It was Snape who created Muffliato, then Harry found out and spread it around to his friends, if I remember correctly.

But other people must have needed a charm similar to Muffliato. What would they have done? What charms would they have used? Are there any protective enchantments? Maybe one that Hermione used when the Trio was hunting for Horcruxes?

Hayden