Thread: Dumbledore's Death in the Daily Prophet

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!

Dumbledore's Death in the Daily Prophet

I'm at my boyfriends house and haven't got my books on me. When was it that Harry was first linked with Dumbledore's death in the Daily Prophet? Is there any other mention of how Dumbledore's death was reported in the papers? I can remember his obitury, but is there anything about the circimstances?

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Justice
    Well, right when the Obituary came out they had and article with Rita Skeeter who was promoting the book she wrote about Dumbledore. She mentions Harry's and his close relationship and the rumors that Harry had been there the night he died. In the article she says witness saw Harry "running away from the scene moments after Dumbledore fell, jumped, or was pushed. Potter later gave evidence against Severus Snape, a man against whom he has a notorious grudge." I think the article in the Prophet got people thinking.
    Although she didn't specifically blame Harry, and I think said he didn't do it in her book. But then the Ministry tried to hush up Dumbledore's death because Scrimgeour didn't want to admit that Voldemort was as powerful as he was. So no, other then the obituary there was no mention of Dumbledore's death in the Prophet. No real answers were received about his death.

Then the Ministry fell and became controlled by Death Eaters. I the Death Eaters then used the power of the office to get done what they wanted without fear of arrest. Including taking over the Prophet. Since, there were no real answers about his death the Death Eaters pinned it on Harry because it helped them if people thought Harry was actually evil. So the published an article in the Prophet in Deathly Hallows blaming Harry and it sort of took off from there. But I think the first mention of Harry's involvement was pretty far into Deathly Hallows... like 200 pages or something.

But I hope this helps.

wishbones and witches
    It's first properly mentioned in the Daily Prophet when Lupin visits them at 12 Grimmauld Place. It does come up very briefly in the interview with Rita Skeeter in the first chapter of DH, but it's more her claim at that point than the newspaper's stance.

They didn't really talk about the circumstances of his death in his obitury, just his life. But from what Rita Skeeter says in her interview we can glean that Harry claiming that Snape killed Dumbledore is common knowledge so there was probably something mentioned about the circumstances of his death but nothing too in depth.

xxSue

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by wishbones and witches
    It's first properly mentioned in the Daily Prophet when Lupin visits them at 12 Grimmauld Place.
    This would place the declaration of Harry Potter as "Undesirable No. 1" sometime between Bill & Fleur's wedding, and Remus' visit to the Trio at Grimmauld place. These two events occurred at the beginning and the end of August, so the theory on Harry's involvement in Dumbledore's death must have been pursued that month.

Tim the Enchanter

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Right, ok, so when school commenced on 1st September, Harry would have already been proclaimed as Undesireable No.1. Thanks for the help, guys.

EDIT: Woo hoo! Post count: 666

EDIT 2: Thanks so much, Justice

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!