Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official Identification

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple_and_PheonixFeather
    Perhaps they use the personal question method that they used in HBP and DH...as they appear to be directed from the office and not from the public...
    I doubt that would work. I only see two ways of implementing the system. One is that the questions and answers are known to the general public (i.e. anyone would know the correct answer). The second is that individual questions and answers are given to each member of the public. While magic would make this a lot easier I think that it is a lot of work to go through.

A couple of suggestions

Maybe it would be a badge, and then if the civilian taps it, it says the Auror's name and rank.
    I think that this would work better if the person to touch the badge was its' owner. It might even attack if anyone else touched it. My other suggestion is that it might be reasonable to expect someone from the Auror office to be able to cast a Patronus. If the form of an Aurors patronus was known by the public it could be used as a test as Patronuses are unique. The problem with that is that a Patronus can change form.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Another potential problem with badges is how easily they could be replicated. And with magic, this would only make it easier. How could the Ministry create a badge or form of identification that couldn't be easily replicated?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    The post Nargles strike again! But I do like the suggestion about the materials being a non-tradeable substance. That would certainly put a damper on creating counterfits!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

MissMeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    The first solution that comes to mind is making the badges out of some substance that is Ministry-controlled, or otherwise a composite that includes non-Tradeable substances. Since the Ministry of Magic tightly controls what can be imported, the badge could be carved out of an Acromantula fang or something, which would be almost impossible to counterfeit.
    But in the Order of the Phoenix, Mundungus was able to get a non-tradable substance for Fred and George.

Justice
    Jumping in: I am not sure there is any way to be able to identify Auror for certain. Even if the Ministry was able to create a badge that could not be copied what is to stop someone from stealing the badge. Yes, Auror's are suppose to be able to defend himself and hard to beat but look at Moody in GoF. Maple’s idea of a badge that only recognizes its owner sounds good, the badge could turn a colour when held by the proper Auror and change a different colour if held by anyone else, maybe?

As for tattoo’s, it might work. Yeah it might be hard to force people to get a tattoo, but I think an Auror is a prestigious position and people would be proud to be one and want to show it off. In the US many members of the Armed Forces get matching tattoos which let people know what branch and unit they are in because they are proud to be able to have the tattoo. So I think tattoos would be a valid option, but people would be able to be fooled with polyjuice potion.

Quote Originally Posted by **plotbunnies**
    If you polyjuiced into a Death Eater, would the Dark Mark appear on your arm? Would you be able to use it?
    I don’t see why the Dark Mark wouldn’t appear if you used polyjuice. If it can disappear why can’t is appear? Yes dark magic does seem to have some of its own rules but I don’t think being dark alone wouldn’t make it not show up. I think polyjuice gives you an exact replica of the person, including the Dark Mark. As for using it, I don’t think you would be able to use it. I see polyjuice as a copy. I don’t think a copy would be connected to the, for a lack of better word, “Death Eater Dark Mark network.”

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice
    I don’t see why the Dark Mark wouldn’t appear if you used polyjuice. If it can disappear why can’t is appear? Yes dark magic does seem to have some of its own rules but I don’t think being dark alone wouldn’t make it not show up. I think polyjuice gives you an exact replica of the person, including the Dark Mark. As for using it, I don’t think you would be able to use it. I see polyjuice as a copy. I don’t think a copy would be connected to the, for a lack of better word, “Death Eater Dark Mark network.”
    I have to agree here.

During Harry's school years, the Aurors did not seem to have a foolproof kind of identification. If they did, Crouch wouldn't have been able to impersonate Moody. So if there was anything, it appeared after Harry's fourth year. Or it wasn't in use then or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    My other suggestion is that it might be reasonable to expect someone from the Auror office to be able to cast a Patronus. If the form of an Aurors patronus was known by the public it could be used as a test as Patronuses are unique. The problem with that is that a Patronus can change form.
    This sounds pretty plausible, I think.

Also, remember Sneakascopes? Those knew Crouch wasn't Moody. So they, at least, aren't fooled. So maybe they prove they're trustworthy by always having a sneakascope or something. Except they might only work with regards to who their owner should trust.

Hmmm... Maybe there's some kind of spell that tells whether a signiture is faked. So people ask the auror to sign a piece of spelled paper, and it turns blue if they're telling the truth and red if they're lying.

Megan
    Kinda really hiatus-y at present.
    And Julia, this avatar is really pretty. Je l'adore.