Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Identification

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    My nephew came home from school today and he was telling me how a police man came to his class, and he told them if they were in trouble, a police man could always help them. But also that sometimes people who aren't really police try to dress up like them and tell you that they're the police. That is why you should always ask to see their badge.

But this got me thinking. Do you think Aurors and Hit Wizards and similar people have special badges to carry to identify themselves with? I would think the wizarding world could also have problems of people trying to impersonate government officials.
    Aurors and Hit Wizards will have to have some kind of special identification. Magic makes impersonating other people absurdly easy, so there has to be some foolproof way of doing it. If not a badge, then some equivalent object or parchment that only ministry officials know how to make, that sort of thing.

The Death Eaters had a pretty effective way of identifying themselves and proving status as Death Eaters through the Dark Mark. I doubt Aurors would go so far as to brand themselves, though.

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Official Identification

My nephew came home from school today and he was telling me how a police man came to his class, and he told them if they were in trouble, a police man could always help them. But also that sometimes people who aren't really police try to dress up like them and tell you that they're the police. That is why you should always ask to see their badge.

But this got me thinking. Do you think Aurors and Hit Wizards and similar people have special badges to carry to identify themselves with? I would think the wizarding world could also have problems of people trying to impersonate government officials.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Aurors and Hit Wizards will have to have some kind of special identification. Magic makes impersonating other people absurdly easy, so there has to be some foolproof way of doing it.
    I agree. Magic would make it way to easy to impresonate someone (ie Polyjuice Potion). Perhaps they use the personal question method that they used in HBP and DH...as they appear to be directed from the office and not from the public...
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    They would have to have something. Whether it's a badge that couldn't be duplicated very easily or something else, they would have to have something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    The Death Eaters had a pretty effective way of identifying themselves and proving status as Death Eaters through the Dark Mark. I doubt Aurors would go so far as to brand themselves, though.
    I could see some countries having some kind of tattooed mark for their Aurors, just probably not Britain. I might have to keep this idea...
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Alright, so what do you think would make a badge for an Auror or a Hit Wizard 'magical' or Rowling-esk...or at least something that couldn't be easily forged?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Still hoping for some ideas on how to make an official badge something that can be made to look like an official badge. Maybe be revealed through some kind of spell or some kind of unique format. I like the idea for tattoos in certain countries, but what about in Britain? What could be used there?

Brand New Story!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    This is so hard, because nearly anything can be replicated by magic...
    What about a simple badge that has like recognizes only the person who its meant for or something...
    Maple facepalms, realizing how dumb of an idea this is...
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Maybe it would be a badge, and then if the civilian taps it, it says the Auror's name and rank.

... and it's really really hard to replicate for whatever reason, because it has to contain the Auror's uh... hair and blood or something?

Despite tattoos being used to mark prisoners in dynastic Muggle China, I think I'm just going to use that for the police. It's simpler.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

**plotbunnies**
    Just hopping onto this conversation with an side question....

If you polyjuiced into a Death Eater, would the Dark Mark appear on your arm? Would you be able to use it?

I have a feeling that the answer to both of these would be no, since a) it is 'dark' and b) you'd think Voldy would take more care.

But we do know that normal tattoos would appear- Ron commented that he 'knew Ginny was lying' about the tattoo on his chest during the Seven Potters scene, and it's a large enough part of someone's identity to be necessary for pretending to be them.

We also know that magical scars will appear if you Polyjuice into a person, ie Harry. But it does not seem that anyone else can 'use' it like Harry does to see Voldy's mind.

Any thoughts?

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Another potential problem with badges is how easily they could be replicated. And with magic, this would only make it easier. How could the Ministry create a badge or form of identification that couldn't be easily replicated?
    The first solution that comes to mind is making the badges out of some substance that is Ministry-controlled, or otherwise a composite that includes non-Tradeable substances. Since the Ministry of Magic tightly controls what can be imported, the badge could be carved out of an Acromantula fang or something, which would be almost impossible to counterfeit.

Tim the Enchanter

EDIT: This is supposed to go after Molly's post.