Thread: Cigarettes in wizarding world?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?

Cigarettes in wizarding world?

This is just a quick question- what do you think the odds are that purebloods would smoke cigarettes? I know the Slytherin purebloods are often portrayed as idle, wealthy and decadent and in a Muggle world they would almost certainly smoke/ drink. But since cigarettes were relatively recent (I think they were a late 19th century thing) I'm not sure whether purebloods would smoke them. If not can you think of an equally 'decadent'/ physically damaging (no offence meant to any smokers on MNFF) equivalent?
    Banner by Minna.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Mundungus smokes a pipe, and that is the only depiction of tobacco smoking in the series. If any Pureblood characters are going to smoke, it would probably be via pipes, or maybe cigars if you want to be a little more advanced. Cigarettes don't strike me as being particularly wizard-y, so they might only be smoked by Muggle-borns or Purebloods wanting to make some kind of statement, like Molly suggested.

Also, you might consider whether they would smoke tobacco, or some magical equivalent or some other plant like opium.

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I'm sure smoking tobbacco would be popular, but the more old-minded purebloods would probably smoke pipes. Of course, with the stories taking place in the ninties and cigarettes being around for almost a century then, I could see younger people smoking them. Wizards certainly aren't above the use of cameras, are they?

Besides, if you wanted to, in a earlier time, young wizards could smoke cigarettes as a form of rebellion against Muggle-hating ideals, if cigarettes were considered a Muggle-thing.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Fancy alcohol is decadent and in large quantities certainly isn't very good for you, particularly if you're drinking the hard stuff.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ