Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killing Dementors

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    From the Harry Potter wiki:

"No one has ever demonstrated the ability to kill a Dementor, implying that they can not be killed through physical means, but can only be driven away or temporarily kept at bay."

That's all I could find for anything that may be canon.

EDIT: Why did my post jump?
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts

Killing Dementors

i'm working of a next gen fic at the moment and have an idea that Barty Crouch Jr is revived and goes after albus, thinking he is Harry.
    My idea for how to do this is that a prisoner in Azkaban kills a dementor (I need to flesh this out a bit more) and then Barty wakes up in St Mungos' (Demented ward lol).
    The death of the dementor released the souls it had consumed and the soul just happened to be Barty's.
    Wow now this sounds far fetched.

Does anyone think this would be possible????
    Banner photographed by me and edited by xBeccaxBlackx
    It was worth the chocolate : )

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"
    Gerard Way

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    weird, maybe your (or my) computer's time is wrong cause the time on your post is before my post.

No one has ever demonstrated
    I could maybe get away with it then?? thanks

I assume that, being wizards they would only have tested magical methods for killing dementors (maybe)? Everything must be able to die somehow.

Gerard Way

Justice
    I agree everything has to die somehow, I can't imagine Dementors live forever. Although JK doesn't tell us how they die they must somehow. I would think an injury would kill them, or maybe if they don't have victim's happiness to feed off of they would starve to death. I bet you could find a creative way to kill one in your fic.

Third Year Gryffindor
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    My idea for how to do this is that a prisoner in Azkaban kills a dementor (I need to flesh this out a bit more) and then Barty wakes up in St Mungos' (Demented ward lol).
    The death of the dementor released the souls it had consumed and the soul just happened to be Barty's.
    Wow now this sounds far fetched.

Does anyone think this would be possible????
    Yes, totally. I've seen it done. In Babylon Five there are "Soul Stealers" who come in ships when there will be great death and collect souls, preventing them from moving on. They seem to have trapped these souls in something like Christmas Ornaments - the hollow glass ball ones. They show a scene of the female lead, at the end of one episode, breaking these spheres and releasing the souls, much as the prophecies are released from the glass balls when they break.

My character Elizabeth has a chapter coming up in which she is confronted with the possibility that Moody's soul has been eaten by a Dementor, and her response is that if that has happened, then she has to find the Dementor and get the soul back.

If you believe in souls, they are by definition immortal. If they are immortal, the Dementors can steal them, but not kill them. Therefore, it stands to reason that they must be hanging around inside the Dementor. Logically, there would have to be a way to get them out...

Thea
    [

Thanks to Joanna for my very first ever banner!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I don't think Dementors can be killed. JKR said this in an interview with The Leaky Cauldron.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leaky Cauldron
    Cornersoul: So what happens to all the dementors where will they go will they be destroyed if so, how

J.K. Rowling: You cannot destroy Dementors, though you can limit their numbers if you eradicate the conditions in which they multiply, ie, despair and degradation. As Ive already said, though, the Ministry no longer used them to torment its opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice
    I would think an injury would kill them, or maybe if they don't have victim's happiness to feed off of they would starve to death
    Fir the reasons detailed above, I don't think you can kill or injure a Dementor, but the starving of one would be a way around that I'm not sure about the soul being immortal and thus you can claim it back. The Dementors feed on souls, they eat them, so I think it would be destroyed.

The only way - possibly - around this is if the Dementor sucked a person's soul out and was then locked in the same room, rather as Justice said If the Dementor can't get to any other souls and he's already sucked all the bad memories out of the person he's locked up with, then he'd become weak. Perhaps at that point he/she would fade away to nothingness. Maybe then, if you think the souls are still inside them, they get released.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I've always thought of it like this: Dementors are the embodiement of all the darkness and destruction and fear and evilness.... in the world. Where there is more darkness, there are more Dementors and they are more powerful. Where there is less darkness, there are fewer Dementors and they are weaker. Patronuses are the opposites of Dementors-- embodiemnts of happiness. Patronuses and the thoughts and people behind them are the Light; Dementors are the Dark. So here you have the battle between good and evil, light and darkness. Dementors can't be obliterated completely because darkness and evil cannot be obliterated completely-- If you could kill one Dementor, it follows that theoretically you could kill them all. But fighting evil is fighting that which cannot disapear. So you must not be able to kill Dementors.

Okay, I beleive I said something about Dementors' numbers being different depending on the amount of evil in the area. Dementors can "breed" according to HBP, first chapter, so that means more appear when the world gets eviler. But what happens when the evil fades away? I think that rather than the Dementors being killed, they sort of just fade away, too. They just get weaker and weaker until they're not there anymore.

On subject of soul release-- I think whatever you think happens to your soul when you die happpens when it is eaten by the dementor. So, basically, it's like you died but your body just kept living. Oh, that is creepy sounding. The dead cannot be ressurected-- even with magic-- Dumbledore says this somewhere, I think. So since the person basiclly dies (IMHO) when they're Kissed, I don't think they can be brought back the same, either.

This is all my opinion, and judjing by the other replies in this thread, I seem to be in the minority. So you might be able to disregard it. But I still don't think I'd find the killing of a Dementor and release of souls believable.

Sorry if this totally kills your plot. If you're adament about having Crouch chase Albus you could play with AU, time-turners, and the idea that Crouch didn't actually get Kissed-- after all, we didn't actually witness the event-- we heard it secondhand.
    Kinda really hiatus-y at present.
    And Julia, this avatar is really pretty. Je l'adore.

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    The way i saw it was when a dementor "ate" a soul, it resided in the dementor and they continuously sucked the happy memories/thoughts/feeling(? need a better word) from it, almost asthough the memories/thoughts/feelings were created by the soul? that way it would remain in the dementor and be able to be released. i think i'm the minority in this case.

J.K. Rowling: You cannot destroy Dementors
    Perhapse I could take destroy to mean "make extinct", so it would be possible to kill some of them and they would not be destroyed as a species.

They seem to "beathe" so could it be possible to suffocate them?

Gerard Way

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Haha, I like your thinking

Here's what I'd personally do, write it and submit it, maybe the mods will be ok with it, if not, go to ff.net :P

Here's a thought:

I know I said that they can't be killed, but maybe, as they breed in despair, you could feed it so much happiness that it exploded from joy and all the souls were released
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    There is another thread on this subject, which you can find here:

http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/foru...ad.php?t=47537

Quote Originally Posted by J Raven
    I bet you could find a creative way to kill one in your fic.
    Flamethrowers. Everything is better with flamethrowers. That's the way to go.

Tim the Enchanter