Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wizard Currency

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    I have to agree with AidaLuthien.

Harry would do everything possible to make sure that this did not happen.

We don’t know what is on the coins anyway, do we? Does the obverse carry the Queen’s head (like all UK coins)? And what is normally on the reverse?

Whatever the case, in the UK I can (off the top of my head) think of very few coins (even commemorative coins) with people’s heads on the reverse. Charles and Di got one and it’s likely that William and Kate will, too. But apart from the royals, I can only remember three people getting their head on a coin, and they are all dead and national icons: Winston Churchill, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, and Charles Darwin.

Frankly, it doesn’t strike me as being very “British.”

That’s all very negative, sorry.

N

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

abovelevel
    I don't know about England, but the US has a plethora of commemorative coins. Maybe something about the Battle would be likely - not Harry's face, I agree he would hate that, but maybe some more generic picture and like "in memoriam" or something, for the people that died?

I don't know how limited editions and things would work here though - would they be worth more or be collector's items or just normal money with a different picture? Coin collections can be very interesting.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I agree on Harry's face, but where I'm from, we have special coins all the time. We've had WW1 anniversery coins, Olympic coins, coins for different regions, militia coins, etc. They all still have the monarch's face on it though, so perhaps they just have one side altered or something?
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple_and_PheonixFeather
    They all still have the monarch's face on it though, so perhaps they just have one side altered or something?
    But what would the constant obverse side bear?

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    How much power do you think the goblins would have in the bank?
    Probably at least enough power to refuse to mint a coin design they find objectionable.

Quote Originally Posted by abovelevel
    I don't know how limited editions and things would work here though - would they be worth more or be collector's items or just normal money with a different picture? Coin collections can be very interesting.
    Up to the early-mid 20th century, most commemorative coins in the Muggle world were made of precious metals, so they were worth more than other coins. Today however, almost all commemorative coins are just alternative designs of standard base metal coins, so they have the exact same face value.

But since the British wizarding world uses bullion coins as standard, there won't be any difference in value between the commemorative and normal coins. Unless somebody made a special silver Knut for some stupid reason.

Tim the Enchanter

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    As with many pureblood families, much of the Malfoy money was inherited, though I think I read somewhere that Mr. Malfoy also made some good investments or something. I always got the impression that they are filthy rich. They bought the entire Slytherin team the best broomstick at the time and they are constantly throwing money around to get the influence they want in wizarding society. Due to the amount that they spend and flaunt, I am inclined to think that they are filthy rich.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Serinah

How rich is rich?

I know that the Malfoys are very rich. But what does it really mean? If you have a manor and a pedigree at least to the building the said manor (no earlier than late 1600s I guess or it would have been a castle, not manor), so what would you have for a yearly income? Does anyone have any ideas?

Because you can have a manor and not be very rich at all, since all your income goes back into the manor. I guess the Malfoys are not one of those people. Does anyone know how rich for instance is Prince Charles or any other real-life royalty?

My problem is that in my story one Malfoy is being blackmailed. So what would be the sum he'd pay every month that would not really be bothersome for him but a huge money to the blackmailer? I'm thinking of 200 galleons. I know what it is in RL currency, that's not my question. I simply would love to hear opinions of how rich is really rich? And if the Malfoys are rich or are they filthy rich?

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

Rates

I was thinking about how Muggle-born witches like Hermione exchange Muggle currency with Wizard money at the Gringotts, but we don't know anything about the rates.

Do you think the rates would always be one to one? I really don't want to go into an entire discussion of Wizarding economy, but I'd appreciate ideas on whether Muggle money would lose or gain value in the Wizarding world depending on things- say, would a Wizard be able to scrape off the same quality of life if he worked a Muggle job and kept exchanging it at Gringotts for Galleons and Sickles?
    The Run of the Mill

The phenomenal banner is by MissBean

abovelevel
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinah
    My problem is that in my story one Malfoy is being blackmailed. So what would be the sum he'd pay every month that would not really be bothersome for him but a huge money to the blackmailer? I'm thinking of 200 galleons. I know what it is in RL currency, that's not my question. I simply would love to hear opinions of how rich is really rich? And if the Malfoys are rich or are they filthy rich?
    I think the Malfoys are "filthy rich," as you say, haha. I don't know, I don't think Lucius would have been able to gain all the influence he did over Fudge if he wasn't both a suck-up AND really, really rich. I remember he like donated a wing or something to the building didn't he? And we was doing all this just so he could get his own way about Dumbledore and Voldemort - so basically throwing around (probably) tens of thousands of galleons.

As to your question about British Royalty, I imagine very little is their "own" and most is owner by their title - ie: if ever someone lost their royal title, they would no longer have that wealth and the new King or Queen would. I think that is very different from the Malfoys, because even if they lost their name and respect, I imagine they would still be really rich money-wise.

Edit: Also, Kehribar, there is a wizarding currency exchange machine of sorts on the lexicon, but it's really out of date (ie: to about 2003). However, I'm sure you could look at its basic numbers and update them as you needed. Just google it and it's easy to find.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Quote Originally Posted by kehribar
    Do you think the rates would always be one to one?
    I don't see why the rates wouldn't change? Rates change from country to country, and we have already had discussions about different wizarding nations having different currency. Even countries that all use the dollars have different exchange rates (the American dollar to the Canadian dollar).

They might be able to exchange money for things like food and other things, but I don't know if it could ever make a great deal of difference, especially given all the things wizards need that they can't pay for in pounds.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    I don't see why the rates wouldn't change? Rates change from country to country, and we have already had discussions about different wizarding nations having different currency. Even countries that all use the dollars have different exchange rates (the American dollar to the Canadian dollar).
    Now I just have the intense image of wizarding currency traders. ... oh dear. Bad plot bunny! Bad, bad!

The rates ought to shift, though there may be some form of international standard for measuring various things across countries and in international trade, like the British pound was for awhile, and the American dollar was (is?).

Still, economies fluctuate, the currencies ought to as well. And theoretically, there would be people who trade in the currencies to make them work like that.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ