Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookworm: Available unless Otherwise Specified

hogwartsbookworm

Bookworm: Available unless Otherwise Specified

Hello, there!
    I'm hogwartsbookworm, but if you call me Bookworm, I shall give you cookies! Ok, not really… but I’d like you to call me Bookworm anyway. I am a member of the noble and mighty house of Hufflepuff! Normally, right about here I'd tell you that we're awesome, but I bet you already know that.

Anyway, here are a few things you need to know about me so you can decide if you want me to be your Beta.

My PI Accreditation number is: PI:5604525642

The Genres I will do:
    General: I would love to help with these!
    A note on Poetry: While I enjoy reading Poetry, and have written a little myself, I am not overly confident in my poetry beta-ing skills. I can help with rhythm, understandability, spelling and grammar. If you want more help with your poetry than that, I think another beta would suit you better.
    Contest Submissions: Sure, I can do that.
    Alternative Universe: Case by case.
    Dark/Angsty Fics: I prefer happy endings, but I know that in reality they don’t happen all the time. I’ll take it.
    Romance: Yes! I love romance.
    Humor: I would love to beta this! However, I must tell you, I won’t be much help with any prank-pulling, Fred/George-esque humor. I’m more into dry wit, and ridiculous humor.

The Ships I will Take: I will take any canon ships (Ron/Hermione for example). I will also take non-canon ships that don’t sound too unlikely (Oliver/Katie, etc.). I will not, however, take canon contradicting ships (Draco/Ginny, anyone?) unless the fic has an AU, Book 7 disregarded, or Epilogue? What Epilogue warning slapped onto it, and a lot of explanations about how the world has changed and how it affects the particular character’s romantic life. For example, unless you’ve gotten Ron out of the way somehow, I don’t think I’ll find Dramione very believable.

Ratings and Warnings I will accept:

Ratings:
    1st-2nd years: Most definitely!
    3rd-5th years: Sure thing!

Warnings:
    Will absolutely do:
    Alternative Universe: Yes
    Book 7 Disregarded: Yes
    Character Death: I don’t mind.
    DH Spoilers: I’ve only read DH about a dozen times. I think I can take it.
    Epilogue? What Epilogue?: Yes
    Mental Disorders: Sure.
    None: Oh, yes, please! I would love to.
    Will do on the specified conditions:
    Abuse: If there isn’t too much of it.
    Mild Profanity: “Helga’s knickers!” and etc. is ok with me. Anything beyond that... No thanks.
    Substance Abuse: If it is a house elf on Butterbeer, or a wizard on Firewhiskey, sure. If it’s any other substances, the answer is no.
    Sexual Situations: If you are the type of person who adds this if you’ve got a few kisses in the story, sure. If it’s more than that then, no, thank you.
    Violence: If it is fairly mild or only in one or two chapters.
    Won’t do:
    Any Warning or Rating You Don’t See in the Above List. If your fic needs any rating you can’t see up there, then I’m sorry, but I’m not the beta for you. I'm quite an innocent beta.

Drabble, One-Shot or Chaptered: I will do any of the three.

My Turn Around Time: For One-Shots or chapters, I’ll say 5-10 days. For drabbles, 1-5 days. Any competition entries will take first priority. I check my email quite frequently, and I’m on the boards almost every day, so I should get back to you pretty quickly.

Will I be Permanent Y/N:
    That is up to you.

My Strengths: I consider myself pretty good with Spelling, Characterization, Canon corrections, and Flow; fairly good with Grammar, and Plot help.

My Weaknesses: British spelling. I’m sorry, I’m not British and I sometimes forget to spell color, ‘colour;’ realized, ‘realised,’ etc. I am getting better with my Briticisms, though.

My Style:
    Editing Style: Track changes unless it doesn't work for you. Then I'll just leave comments and corrections in red.
    Beta Style: Depending on what you would prefer, I can give you a Comprehensive Critique (that is my usual style), or I can cut it to just the Essentials. I'm usually Brutally Honest, but if you like I can try to soften my critiques and be Gentle. I would be happy to look over a chapter multiple times if that is what you feel your story needs – be Flexible – or I can look it over only once just before you submit it. It is up to you.

Additional Help I Can Offer: If you are new to writing, or if English is not your first language (or both), I am very patient and pretty good at understanding misspelled words. I can also offer advice on structuring sentences and paragraphs.

My Preferred Method of Contact: I’ll PM you my email, and thereafter I would prefer emailing to communicate.

Any Other Information/Qualifications I'd like to Share: I am very knowledgeable on canon. I have read each Harry Potter book multiple times, and know them very well. In fact, my parents like to joke that I have a selective photographic memory, because they can read me three consecutive sentences from any one of the seven books and I’ll tell them what just happened and what is about to happen next at that point in the book.

I have been correcting the grammar and spelling of the people around me for years, including my parents and teachers. I actually have one teacher who frequently turns to me for pronunciation and spelling help in the middle of class if he is unsure. I have always received high grades in English, Spelling and Grammar. I recently took the ACT and scored 99% on the English section and 97% on the Reading section.

Stories I've Beta-ed/am Beta-ing:

The Man Who Couldn't Be Moved by Neigh (CoolCatElly)
    The Diary of Molly Weasley by Baloo (Blueberry Pie)
    Various pieces of MWPP Homework by Gen (Sagen)
    Drabble Happy Halloween by Sarah (Sapphire at Dawn)
    Drabble The Magic Within by Neigh
    One-shot The Magic Within by Neigh
    Drabble Accio Chocolate by Ayse (kehribar)
    Grim Truth by Neigh
    The Lost Prophecy by Chris (muggleborn parselmouth)
    Once Upon a Merry Christmas by Sarah
    ...As We Fall From Grace by Bine (luinrina)
    Crashing Down Around Them by Manda (ravenclaw1997)
    Chapter 6 of Snape Didn't Die by Molly (OliveOil_Med)
    Ginny Weasley and the Deathly Hallows by Roxy (fizzingwizzbee)
    Draco Colors Drabble by Sue (wishbones and witches)
    Untitled R/H Christmas one-shot by Claire (abovelevel)
    Reindeer drabble by Rachel (rachelnotrach)
    Scorpius Malfoy and the Sins of the Fathers chapter 4 and on by Horace (Hotrav)
    The Run of the Mill by Ayse
    Realization by Maple (Maple_and_PheonixFeather)

Well, now you know what you need to know about me! If you would like to use my services, I will need to know a bit about you! Please Use the Following Form When Requesting:
    Username: (on MNFF and Beta boards if different)
    What you prefer to be called: (Warning: If you don’t provide this, I will make up a nickname for you)
    Title: (and link if some is already published)
    Ratings, Warnings:
    One-Shot, Chaptered, or Drabble:
    Word Count:
    (please estimate if you are not finished with it yet)
    Is It a Competition Entry, Y/N:
    Would you like a Permanent Beta, Y/N:
    Summary:
    (Please include Genre and Ships)
    The Style You would like Me to Beta your Fic in: (E.g., Gentle, Flexible, Brutally Honest, etc.)
    Anything in Particular You want Me to Watch out for?
    And lastly, tell me, What exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
    Current Status:
    Totally Available

(Unless otherwise specified in my latest post.)

CoolCatElly
    FINALLY - Another Beta. Not many PI's active in the Guild at the moment.

Username: CoolCatElly
    What you prefer to be called: (Warning: If you donít provide this, I will make up a nickname for you) I'm intrigued now...
    Title: The Man Who Couldn't Be Moved
    Genre: next-gen or humour - I haven't decided yet, also a song-fic
    Ships: Scorpius/Lily
    Ratings, Warnings: 1-2nd years, none
    One-Shot, Chaptered, or Drabble: One-shot
    Word Count: uhm... maybe 2k?
    Is It a Competition Entry,Nope
    Would you like a Permanent Beta, Y/N: Well, my other two stories will be Prof and 3-5th with ratings you don't take , no so.

Summary: ďSo here I am, on this street-corner in Diagon Alley with nothing but a broken heart and your picture in my hand. My plan is simple: Iím going to sit here for as long as it takes for you to come back to me. Youíre only fooling yourself, Lil, and you know it.Ē

The Style You would like Me to Beta your Fic in: Comprehensive please
    Anything in Particular You want Me to Watch out for? Everything
    And lastly, any Additional Comments? This will not be done for a while more, so please let me know if you'll take it and then I'll get it to you within the week hopefully.

hogwartsbookworm

Hey!

Hey there! I would love to take it! Sounds great.

I'll send you my email address in a moment.

Still Available.

Blueberry Pie

:d :d

Bookworm.... But I want cookies! *whines*

Username: Blueberry Pie
    What you prefer to be called: Hmmm... I wanna see what you call me
    Title: The Diary of Molly Weasley
    Genre: Humour
    Ships: None so far
    Ratings, Warnings: Nothing. Perhaps some Mild Profanity
    One-Shot, Chaptered, or Drabble: Chaptered
    Word Count: 1000 and a few. Not exactly sure.
    Is It a Competition Entry, Y/N: No
    Would you like a Permanent Beta, Y/N: Let's just see how we work together, eh?
    Summary:I have realized that later on in life, the general public will undoubtedly want to know of my schooling to understand my success...
    Molly Weasley is anything but modest.

The Style You would like Me to Beta your Fic in: Comprehensive Critique
    Anything in Particular You want Me to Watch out for? Everything
    And lastly, any Additional Comments? I already had a Beta. Unfortunately, she is unavailable at the moment. If you could help me out I would be grateful.

And, I know Hufflepuffs are awesome

Sagen
    Hello Bookworm!
    Could you beta my MWPP homework, please? *puppydogeyes*

Username: Sagen
    What you prefer to be called: Gen
    Title: I do not have one of these.
    Genre: Homework?
    Ratings, Warnings: I don't think there are any.
    One-Shot, Chaptered, or Drabble: Drabble.
    Word Count: 564 words.
    Would you like a Permanent Beta, Y/N: Possibly for my homework.
    Summary: It's about Remus when he is nine dealing with his transformation.
    The Style You would like Me to Beta your Fic in: Not sweet but not brutal, please. Anything in Particular You want Me to Watch out for? I don't think so.

Thanks!
    Gen

hogwartsbookworm

Yup

I have three things to say.

1. I will take them! I'll send you both my email in a bit.

2. Blueberry Pie, even if I knew your RL address and sent cookies to you, you know they'd likely be crumbs by the time you got them... or worse, moldy. And virtual cookies don't taste nearly as good.

3. I am still available.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Username: Sapphire at Dawn
    What you prefer to be called: Sarah
    Title: Happy Halloween
    Genre: Drabble
    Ratings, Warnings: 1st-2nd years; none
    One-Shot, Chaptered, or Drabble: Drabble.
    Word Count: 484
    Would you like a Permanent Beta, Y/N: N
    Summary: This Halloween, it was Argus Filch's last chance.
    The Style You would like Me to Beta your Fic in: As honest as you feel like being
    Anything in Particular You want Me to Watch out for? Grammar, please.

This is for the October monthly in TTB, so it's due at the end of the month. I'll need it asap as you can!

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

hogwartsbookworm
    Sarah,

I'll send you my email in a moment. As long as I have it by tonight I should be able to get it back to you with a little time to spare before the deadline.

-Bookworm

P.S. Still Available!

EDIT: VERY Available!

muggleborn_parselmouth

The Lost Prophecy

Username: muggleborn_parselmouth
    What you prefer to be called: muggleborn parselmouth or Chris, your choice
    Title: The Lost Prophecy
    Genre: Humor / Mystery
    Ratings, Warnings: none
    One-Shot, Chaptered, or Drabble: Chapter
    Word Count:8885 (6 chapters done, just need to get added)
    Would you like a Permanent Beta, Y/N: Yes
    Summary: Basically, Harry has a sister, who was taken at birth on orders from Dumbledore. Many twists and turns, Hailey now 17 goes to Hogwarts (after the Battle of Hogwarts) along with Harry, Hermoine and Ron, who need to finish school. Haliey's adoptive mom turns out to be someone of interest, who has a chance of saving the one she loves from the fate he encountered at The Minstry.
    The Style You would like Me to Beta your Fic in: however you would like.
    Anything in Particular You want Me to Watch out for? Grammar, spelling, etc, perhaps believability.

I can email you all six chapters that are done if you'd like, or one at a time. Let me know. My email is chartwig1108@gmail.com or chartwig@millikin.edu

hogwartsbookworm

Hey, Chris!

Hello there! I will PM you my email in a minute. (You might want to edit your email address out of your post - we're technically not supposed to post them where just anyone can see. )

Still Available!