Thread: The First War and the wizarding underworld

Hybrid View

Wembricken

The First War and the wizarding underworld

Hey all!

I'm in the process of writing a fic set during the First War in which the main character is known as Knockturn Alley's number one go-to wizard. Much of the story centers around his struggle to determine how far he is willing to support Voldemort, but much of it is also intended to depict the war itself and the evolution of Voldemort's grip over wizarding society throughout the 1970s.

It has made me wonder about the relationship between Death Eaters/other Dark wizards and the rest of the wizarding criminal underworld. The books clearly show a difference, in that there are some crooks like Mundungnus or Aberforth who have no interest in Dark magic or Muggle domination. In other cases, the lines are more blurred.

So my question is this - what sort of effect do you think the growth of Voldemort's power and influence would have had on the criminal underworld of wizarding Britain throughout the 1970s? In DH, Aberforth mentions trafficking potions and the like through his pub. Would this sort of illegal trafficking increase during the First War? In what sorts of things? What other changes might take place in this underworld? Do you think everyday crooks would be more or less inclined to support Voldemort or do you think it would make no difference whether they're a crook or not?

I'm looking to set the stage on which my fic stands, so any and all comments are welcome! Note that my fic follows the entirely of the 1970s, not just the end of that decade when the Mauraders joined the Order - so the relationship between Voldemort's supporters and more common criminals may change over that time too!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    If you are leaning towards criminals like Dung and Aberforth, I think it would depend on who could offer them the most. Dung goes for the Order because he isn't a skilled wizard and the Order offers him protection (at least that's how I see it). For many criminals, they would probably work for the highest bidder.

Illegal trafficking would definately increase during the war, especially if certain laws were placed making certain potions, spells, etc. illegal.

As the war progresses and Voldemort gains more power, I think that criminals would lean more towards him (unless they have previous alliances) simply because it's easier and would keep them safer. Plus, a lot of the Death Eaters are pretty much criminals themselves, so they'd have some sort of connection. Voldemort would probably recruit criminals as they are easily disposable, as no one will miss them if they are killed.

Hope this helps and good luck with your story

~Maple
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by MAPF
    If you are leaning towards criminals like Dung and Aberforth, I think it would depend on who could offer them the most. Dung goes for the Order because he isn't a skilled wizard and the Order offers him protection (at least that's how I see it). For many criminals, they would probably work for the highest bidder.
    Dung is also fiercely loyal to Dumbledore. I think Remus tells Harry that Dumbledore helped Mundungus out of a bad situation a few years earlier.

Aberfort isn't a criminal. He turns a blind eye to what goes on in his pub, but apart from the goat-charming allegations, he's never been convicted of anything.

Do you think everyday crooks would be more or less inclined to support Voldemort or do you think it would make no difference whether they're a crook or not?
    I think even everday crooks would have trouble with Voldemort - especially if they were Muggle-borns. But it's likely they'd always be on the look out for the main chance, and could be useful to the Death Eaters, like Dung was to Dumbledore.

What other changes might take place in this underworld?
    I think there'd be a lot more Muggle baiting and those criminals would find their place in Voldemort's order by providing that service which causes unrest in the Muggle population.

~Carole

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

**plotbunnies**
    Do you think everyday crooks would be more or less inclined to support Voldemort or do you think it would make no difference whether they're a crook or not?
    This is just my opinion, but I think that ordinary crooks would be less inclined towards following Voldemort. I don't mean sleazy people who are crooked, like the Malfoys, I mean people who make their living robbing and being dishonest. I think that the old phrase could ring true here: It takes a crook to catch a crook. Those who lived dishonestly would be more likely to see through Voldemort's lies, and, though they may help him, wouldn't buy in to his whole scheme. I think that people who had always been 'proper' would find it easier to go over to his side, since a lot more of them would have pent-up aggression and a resolve for revenge.

Would illegal trafficking increase during the First War? In what sorts of things?
    I think it would probably increase in devices and ingredients that have an evil effect. There would probably be a large increase in certain areas of business, but I'm guessing a lot of minor illegal things would have sales drop off. Slightly dishonest people wouldn't bother spending the money anymore, and nobody else would be buying. Talismans and illegal protective items would probably increase as well, as people would be trying everything possible to stay safe.

-Anne

Wembricken
    Thanks for the input, everyone! Very helpful. I especially like plotbunnies' point about everyday crooks being less inclined to support Voldemort - that wasn't something I'd considered! Probably a lot of it will depend more on the person in question, rather than whether they have made a living breaking the law.

Thanks again!