Thread: Memory Charm?

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    What's With Mars?

Memory Charm?

Is there such a thing as a memory charm or something that can eliminate one single thought of choice from your memory? I mean, I know that there is Obliviate but doesn't that wipe your entire memory? Lockhart didn't remember a thing, as I remember.

Thank you!

-Megan
    INDEFINITE HIATUS

AMAZING banner by Julia (theopaleye)

wishbones and witches
    I think Obliviate is the spell you're looking for. It only removed all of Lockhart's memory because of Ron's broken wand, but it worked fine when Hermione used it on the Death Eaters that ambushed them in DH. I'm pretty sure it didn't remove all of their memories since one of the people it was used on was Dolohov and he must have been fine afterwards since he managed to kill Remus (sob) after having his memory altered.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Hermione eliminated only herself from her parents' memory, and created a new dream in their minds (going to Australia), so I think you would have some freedom with this. When it is time for them to wipe the DE's memories in the cafe, one of the boys asks Hermione if she's done it, and she answers "I know the theory," implying that she had not done it before. I've always wondered if this was an error (which I can hardly accept), or if we are to understand from this that Hermione used a different charm to affect her parents' memories.
    Lovely banner by Nadia

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasley Mom
    Hermione eliminated only herself from her parents' memory, and created a new dream in their minds (going to Australia), so I think you would have some freedom with this. When it is time for them to wipe the DE's memories in the cafe, one of the boys asks Hermione if she's done it, and she answers "I know the theory," implying that she had not done it before. I've always wondered if this was an error (which I can hardly accept), or if we are to understand from this that Hermione used a different charm to affect her parents' memories.
    JKR once answered this by saying there were different types of memory charms. I think the one she did on her parents just altered their memory and so when she said what she did abotu the death eaters, she was referring to actually wiping people's memories.

It's a bit of a shaky reason but she did at least provide an explanation.

I imagine that wiping people;s memories is a tricky thing. You have to know exactly what memory you want to wipe and wipe just enough so that you don't take too much or leave anything behind.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I suppose you could Stupify them and take their memory and put it in a Penseive? Obliviate seems the best options, as Obliviators simply take away any magical memory a Muggle has.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple_and_PheonixFeather
    I suppose you could Stupify them and take their memory and put it in a Penseive?
    Does putting a memory into the Penseive remove it from your mind, though? I never thought so... only that it preserved it. But I may be wrong about this.
    Lovely banner by Nadia

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    What's With Mars?
    For some reason I always thought that putting it in a Pensieve just preserved it. I mean, how else would Dumbledore have known that he had an important memory to show Harry in the Pensieve, and how would he have known the correct memory? He would have had to remember the memory. I am loving your ideas, guys, and thanks a ton.

-Megan
    INDEFINITE HIATUS

AMAZING banner by Julia (theopaleye)