Closed Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator - Part 21

Unregistered
    Sorry if there is anything in this post that's not allowed - I was a member around 2007ish and don't remember many rules... or at least, I seem to recall there were a lot of rules but not necessarily what they all were.

Anyways, was there a member purging? My old username wouldn't let me log in and it is no longer on the members list.

Colores
    Unregistered - yes, members who have not logged on in over a year are purged from the database. Feel free to make a new account.

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Hello! I don't know if this has already been answered, but am I allowed to go into my already approved stories and make changed? These would be small changes, like splitting paragraphs, typos, etc...but is there a protocol for this? Thanks! (:

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

@abovelevel: Yes, you are allowed to do that. Actually, if you spot errors once your stories are validated or the moderators inform you about them, it would be very good if you could change them. Obviously, once you change something major, like replacing entire paragraphs etc., it might be better to delete the chapter and resubmit. You're definitely in the clear with small changes like that though.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Colores
    babewithbrains - The QSQs are held once a year, generally from September-end of October, with the winners to be announced on Halloween. As the judge for Best Beta reader for a few years now, I can attest that you do not have to be PI accredited to win, although I think many, if not all, of the previous winners have been.

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    I have two questions both regarding the QSQs.

1. How often are the QSQs held? Is it just once a year?
    2. To win the Best Beta award do you have to be PI accredited?

Thanks very much in advance and happy new year.

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

7. 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM

Colores
    Midnight Storm:

To your first question, no, that would not need a substance abuse warning. When thinking about the warning, think more about the emphasis on abuse. Is the substance being abused (i.e. drug addict, alcoholic) rather than just present in the story? So unless the house-elf is an alcoholic, that wouldn't need the warning.

To your second question, apparently you're not the only user this has happened to. I will look into it for you.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

@babewithbrains: I don't think that language alone would change your warning from 3rd-5th to 6th-7th. We do have a "mild profanity" and "strong profanity" warning, the latter of which should apply in your case. The rating is more influenced by overall themes in your story, not just by one issue like language.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Midnight Storm
    Hello, Mods. I have two questions, and I hope this is the right place to ask them:

1) How strict is MNFF on the warnings? Say this was a line in my fic:
    Lily stumbled into the room like a tipsy house-elf.
    Would that need a 'substance abuse' warning?

2) On the main site, I only have two skins to choose from: dragon and ModlySimplicity. Is this normal? I'm sure I read something about a Lumos skin -- or did I just make that up?

I hope neither of these have been been previously answered. I checked the FAQ, did a search, and read through a few of the old AAMs, but if they've been asked before, I'm really sorry.

Thanks in advance,
    ~Midnight Storm

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    What is the language limit on MNFF? As blunt as it sounds, how many f-bombs are my characters allowed to drop for the rating to go up from 3rd-5th years to 6th-7th years? Because if the 3rd-5th years age group is from thirteen to sixteen, then here in Britain that basically constitutes to a 15 rating. And in 15 movies you're allowed a lot of f-bombs--I once watched a 15 movie which had, apparently, 137 f-bombs, so would it work the same way with stories? (That film, by the way, was rated R in America.)

Thanks very much.

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Closed Thread