Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draco Malfoy - Part II

Rose Nym
    Thanks for the ideas. On a similar topic, how soon do you think Draco would actually decide what career he wants? I mean, during his time as a Death Eater, I tend to think he wouldn't have had much time to think about little else. After Voldemort's fall, do you think he would have an idea what he wanted to do? How long do you think he would take to figue it out? And what would his parents think about it all? Would they pressure him at all to choose a career, or do you think he would already know what he wanted?

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    And what would his parents think about it all? Would they pressure him at all to choose a career,
    Unless the Malfoys are desperate for money (and they could have lost a lot of their fortune during the war and after) then I really don't think his parents would pressure him at all. Lucius didn't appear to have a job. i think Draco would want to do something because he wants to be different from his dad, but that's me thinking that Draco is redeemable.

On a similar topic, how soon do you think Draco would actually decide what career he wants?

I doubt Draco would rush into anything. The Malfoys would need to retire to the background for a while. In my fic Shrouds, I have him finding employment about 18m after the Battle. There was always the chance he'd get sent to Azkaban so he'd need to wait for the trial to be over first.
    Maybe he had an idea in his fifth year about what he'd like to do, but after his sixth year he'd have been too caught up in being a DE to have given it much thought.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Nym
    Thanks for the ideas. On a similar topic, how soon do you think Draco would actually decide what career he wants? I mean, during his time as a Death Eater, I tend to think he wouldn't have had much time to think about little else. After Voldemort's fall, do you think he would have an idea what he wanted to do? How long do you think he would take to figue it out? And what would his parents think about it all? Would they pressure him at all to choose a career, or do you think he would already know what he wanted?
    Short timeline of how I believe Draco would have conceived of career:

Fifth year: I'll take NEWTs that I pass the OWLs for and I enjoy. I will maintain the Malfoy family money and have some kind of vaguely political-ish thing that I do (like his dad on the board of governors for Hogwarts.

Sixth and DH: I hope that I survive.

post-DH: I hope I don't get sent to Azkaban.

post-probable trial: Dealing with PTSD.

I think it would have taken him awhile. I imagine him having a fair amount of mental health issues post-DH and I don't think he would have given a career much thought before - because he wouldn't have needed to work. He would have relied on the Malfoy family fortune. But those fortunes probably took at least some hit post-DH.

I think Lucius and Narcissa might be a bit baffled by it all... by the mere concept of having a career - Lucius certainly doesn't seem to have a job. If their fortunes took that much of a hit, they might generally pressure Draco to do something that would make money, though probably without having much conception of what that would be.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Rose Nym
    Thanks. If anyone has anything more to say about my previous questions, I'd still like to hear it, so post...But, also:
    How do you think Draco feels about his parents after the war? At all like he was frustrated with them and rebellious, or not?

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    How do you think Draco feels about his parents after the war? At all like he was frustrated with them and rebellious, or not?

I think Draco, being Draco, probably blamed his dad for his own path. I genuinely think Draco thought he had no choice but to become a DE, but at the same time he wanted to be one. When the reality set in, he wanted out and he was close to accepting Dumbledore's offer of help. He wanted his mother safe. I think there is a bond there and he'd feel beholden to her - certainly at first.

But as things return to normal, I can see Draco becoming sick of his parents trying to run his life and advising him.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Evelyn Raven
    I see there hasn't been much Draco talk for awhile so I might get some discussion happening and on a completely different topic relationships. I am just tossing up ideas about a romantic relationship between Draco and an OC. A brief overview of the OC; she is new to Hogwarts in 5th year, sorted into Slytherin, very quite, clever and disinteresting in pure blood/status etc therefore doesn't find Draco that compeling. Would Draco go for this sort of person, he is determined and might find that sort of girl a challenge perhaps? We dont really see how Draco behaves in relationships so I am just curious for ideas.

Essence_of_Lily
    Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn Raven View Post
    Would Draco go for this sort of person, he is determined and might find that sort of girl a challenge perhaps? We dont really see how Draco behaves in relationships so I am just curious for ideas.
    Draco seems like a really shallow type of person, so I think he'll probably like that girl if she's pretty. Also, we see how he treats Pansy Parkinson, who pretty much threw herself over him, so he'll definitely be determined to get the girl if she can resist him. I think he would like the challenge.

-Janine

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I don't know I always thought Draco tried to take the easy way out of a lot of things especially if this was in 5th year. In 5th year Draco would have no idea of the dangers he would face and akways thought his dad would sort things out for him (for example he always says his father will hear about it as a threat). His dad got him onto the quidditch team by buying the whole team new brooms, he almost got Hagrid fired for something that was Draco's fault.
    I suppose he could be surprised that she's not all over him and I think that he would be interested at first but after a while he might get bored and go back to Pansy.
    Wow I sound like such a Draco hater but he's actually one of my favourite characters!
    I need tot reread OotP to see what his attitude is like but as far as I can remember he took responsibility for advantage (terrorising first years and later docking points for no reason), he got into a strop when Umbrige wouldn't let him go into the forest as well.
    What I'm saying is Draco doesn't like things when they get to hard or when they don't go his way so I'm going to say he might go after her for a little bit but then give up, well in 5th year anyway.
    I've gone off your question yes he is determined and he is also ambitious so maybe that would drive him for a while but if she still doesn't show any interest in him he would give up.
    Sorry for rambling!
    ~Abi~

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Did Draco go to school for 7th year? Lexicon says yes, but HP Wiki says no...

Edit: Yes, the 1997-8 year, the one before the Battle of Hogwarts.

Oh good point with Hogwarts being compulsory. He would have had to go, whether he liked to or not.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Do you mean the 1997-1998 year? Before the Battle of Hogwarts? If so then Narcissa says that Draco is home from his Easter holidays, implying that he has been at school. I don't know why the wiki says that, I think it's pretty clear that he was there from what Narcissa says. Plus, going to Hogwarts was now compulsory. It might have been useful for Voldemort or at least the Carrows to have a Death Eater amongst the students who could spy and stuff.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!