Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draco Malfoy - Part II

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."

Draco Malfoy - Part II

So, the old thread got filled up. Continue your discussions of our "favourite" Slytherin here.

For reference, here's the old thread.
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Rose Nym

Any ideas for Draco's future career choices?

I'm completely stuck with this. What do you think Draco would be interested in? What would his family want him to do? And why? Please help.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    I think pre-DH, the Malfoys would want him to maintain the family inheritance and have some kind of political-ish job like his father.

Post-DH, it depends on how badly you think the Malfoys were punished by the Ministry. They might have lost a lot of their fortune in expensive lawyers. That's not really clear. If something like that happens in your head-canon then Draco would need an actual money-making job.

He's good at Potions, at Occulmency, at the Dark Arts, and Quidditch. I could see him working for a broom company perhaps, depending on how badly his reputation had been ruined. He could do something Potions related, though I kinda doubt he has the patience to become a Potions Master.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Lucius doesn't appear to have a job/career, so it's possible that Draco doesn't have to work.

However, after the Battle, I think it likely that the Malfoy fortune took a hit and it might be necessary for Draco to have some sort of career.

In my stories, Draco becomes a Curse-Breaker for the Ministry (Gringotts won't hire him). I play on the fact that he's good at the Dark Arts so is probably able to deal with Dark curses effectively. But it's also possible he ended up in some very boring Ministry job. Something that frustrates him but he has to knuckle down and get on with it. When Draco puts his mind to it, he is able to achieve what he needs to (the Vanishing Cabinet for example), so I think he'd be successful.

We don't know much about his academic record at Hogwarts except that he was very good at Potions, so maybe he'd follow that career path as well.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    We also know that Draco likes to be the center of attention and that he likes to have power. Due to this and his ability to focus and get stuff done, he could have started out in a low Ministry job and worked his way up. From what we understand, Draco is fairly intelligent, so he probably could have done anything he wanted to. I could actually see him working in Magical Games and Sports.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple_and_PheonixFeather
    We also know that Draco likes to be the center of attention and that he likes to have power. Due to this and his ability to focus and get stuff done, he could have started out in a low Ministry job and worked his way up. From what we understand, Draco is fairly intelligent, so he probably could have done anything he wanted to. I could actually see him working in Magical Games and Sports.
    I'm not sure that this would be as applicable, post-DH. I think Draco might be very frightened of how power can warp a person's mind (Voldemort). He might want power, if only so that he can have real security, so that he's never in the same situation as they were before under Voldemort... but I'm not sure how that would happen.

I'm also uncertain how a former Death Eater would get into the Ministry. I think Kingsley would be committed to the goal of um... for lack of a better term, de-Voldemortification. In short, getting rid of all former Voldemort supporters w/i the Ministry.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Aida
    I'm also uncertain how a former Death Eater would get into the Ministry. I think Kingsley would be committed to the goal of um... for lack of a better term, de-Voldemortification. In short, getting rid of all former Voldemort supporters w/i the Ministry.
    I tend to agree, but I also think there's a good chance - if written properly - that Draco could get a shot at redemption. Kingsley is a fair man, and would want to give someone a second chance. As far as we know in canon, Draco didn't kill anyone. He nearly killed Katie and Ron, but they were attempts born of desperation rather than actual need.

I think Draco might be very frightened of how power can warp a person's mind (Voldemort). He might want power, if only so that he can have real security, so that he's never in the same situation as they were before under Voldemort... but I'm not sure how that would happen.
    That's very interesting and certainly something I'd never thought about. I do think there's a strong chance he'd want power. He is one of those people who'd be warped by it ... I wonder if he'd ever be strong enough to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by MAPF
    I could actually see him working in Magical Games and Sports.
    I can't actually. I know he liked Quidditch and was a reasonable player, but I don't think he was passionate about it to the same extent that Oliver was, or Ludo.

If he did go for a job at the Ministry, I think he'd play on the fact that his past puts him at a disadvantage. He can cry prejudice which might well get him a foot in the door.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls
    I don't think Draco would seek a job within the Ministry simply because he never respected the institution. All his life, he's seen how easy it is to buy people off and I think he's enough of a realist to see that the true driving force of power and influence in a lawful construct is money. I've always thought of Draco as becoming a Captain of Industry. I can see him starting a business with family money and growing it from the ground up. He would definitely be the boss. I don't see him sitting across the desk from anyone, nervously awaiting his yearly review.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by lttlebird
    I don't think Draco would seek a job within the Ministry simply because he never respected the institution. All his life, he's seen how easy it is to buy people off and I think he's enough of a realist to see that the true driving force of power and influence in a lawful construct is money. I've always thought of Draco as becoming a Captain of Industry. I can see him starting a business with family money and growing it from the ground up. He would definitely be the boss. I don't see him sitting across the desk from anyone, nervously awaiting his yearly review.
    I don't see him wanting to work under someone else, but he might have to depending on how big of a hit the Malfoy family finances took.

The problem with Draco being a "Captain of Industry" is that I don't see him having... much business sense, necessarily. I think it would be beneath the Malfoys to be concerned with their finances until it was too late. Also, since the British wizarding world doesn't seem particularly... dynamic in terms of the creation of new industries, in general, and Draco doesn't seem like the inventive type, in particular, I'm not sure how he would become a Captain of Industry-type.

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls
    Sucess in business often has little to do with inventiveness and more to do with an exploitative nature and the ability to put the right people in the right places. Maybe 'Captain of Industry' was too grand a term.

Our opinions differ on what sort of steward of the family fortune Lucius may have been. I think if your "thing" is being rich, if you percieve your wealth as being one of your more attractive qualities to the Dark Lord, what's in your vault would probably rise to your notice as soon as Voldie showed up in that graveyard and you would do whatever it took to grow that fortune. What that may be, I don't know. Do they have Portfolio managers in the Wizarding fiduciary system?