Thread: Next Generation

sas__x

Next Generation

Okay, so I'm looking for next generation fics. It can be any shipping, anything. But I do prefer it when the children are older. I'm not to fond of fics that kind of follow them through first-seventh year if you know what I mean.

Thank you!

-Sarah

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Haha, you have stumbled up on my specialty, my friend. I hope you do chaptered, because they're all chaptered.

Title: Our Little Secret
    Author: Kerichi
    Length: 23 Chapters, 66K
    Finished? Yes
    Summary: It was like a wizard tale. The clever Slytherin helps a hag who later repays the debt. Except that Rose Weasley wasn't a hag, and Scorpius didn't expect to call in the favour.
    Ships: Rose/Scorpius
    Why it's a good read: Paige writes so engagingly, so you find yourself caring about these characters and what happens to them. The characterisation of Lucius Malfoy in this story is probably my favourite, but she sheer amount of creativity in filling out the details of regular life for the characters is fantastic. I'll give it an 8/10.

Title: Lost
    Author: Gmariam
    Length: 7 chapters, 20K
    Finished? Yes
    Summary: Albus Potter is lost: guilt and grief have driven him to a desperate search for the Deathly Hallows, and Harry must confront his son before it is too late. Their confrontation, however, ends in disaster as Albus disappears with two of the Hallows.

As he continues his search for the Resurrection Stone, Albus remembers the shadowy road that lead him to his confrontation with his father – and must face both his brother and the tragic loss that has driven him so far down dark paths.

Albus must journey deep within to conquer the darkness that surrounds him. Will he find what he seeks? Or will Albus be lost to his loved ones forever?
    Ships: Albus/Marcum (OC)
    Why it's a good read: This story is about heartbreak, prejudice, and personal trials and tribulation. Albus's boyfriend, Marcum, was killed by some drunk, judgmental Muggles, but Al blames himself because he provoked the attackers. He tried to kill himself, only to be stopped by James, but he then sets out on a journey of self discovery. It's very introspective into the mind of someone who had had their heart basically ripped from their chest, and you'll find yourself wanting to hug Albus and strangle him in the same breath. Very well done. 8/10

Title: When Worlds Collide
    Author: jenny b
    Length: 24 Chapters, 95K
    Finished? Yes
    Summary: Rose was a Weasley. She never gave Scorpius Malfoy a second glance. They were sworn enemies, even though they’d barely even spoken to each other. But sometimes all it takes for love to blossom is a Potions lesson, a few snide remarks and a dropped book.

Two people. Two entirely different worlds that are suddenly intertwined
    Ships: Rose/Scorpius
    Why it's a good read: This is a more heartbreaking rendition of the ship, and you find yourself really empathising with Scorpius in particular. His life is so sad, so you simply want him to get together with Rose. It's just so gripping, and the portrayal of both the Weasleys and Malfoys is great. 9/10

Title: Jemzi
    Author: Belledeg
    Length: 24 Chapters, 93K
    Finished? Yes
    Summary: Jemzi Zabini is the seventeen year old daughter of Blaise Zabini and his wife Harper, and is about to join her fellow witches and wizards at Hogwarts for their final school year. Jemzi is famous for being the once best friend of Albus Potter. However, a mysterious argument last year that only the two of them were witness to has ruined their friendship and they are now practically enemies. No one knows the reason for their fall out, only that it has caused a great divide in their friendship group.
    Jemzi's best friend and Albus' cousin, Rose, suspects that their friendship expired because of strange and unwanted feelings between them. Feelings which, despite their fall out, have not gone away. Feelings that are similar to those she has for a certain Slytherin...
    So can the next generation of Hogwarts students learn to forget past actions and forgive?
    Ships: Albus/Jemzi (OC)
    Why it's a good read: Ellynia writes romance so very well, and this story of two friends that couldn't be friends because they felt other things is lovely. It is just so very teenager and realistic. I think you'd enjoy it. Jemzi is the OC daughter of Blaise Zabini and another of her OCs from her fic, Finding Her Voice (also excellent). 8/10

Title: High
    Author: Equinox Chick
    Length: 4 Chapters
    Finished? No
    Summary: Scorpius Malfoy is the Seeker for Slytherin. Not only that - he's the best Seeker at Hogwarts, and it's his catches that win Slytherin matches. But this year things have changed. Albus Potter has switched to Chaser and the new Gryffindor Seeker is his annoying little sister.
    Ships: Lily/Scorpius
    Why it's a good read: Haha, how I love a potty-mouth Slytherin, and Scorpius is it. He's sort of a jerk, but he finds himself constantly wondering what Lily Potter thinks of him, especially after a nasty broom crash nearly killed him. 9/10

Title: The Vindication of James Potter
    Author: That would be me, lol. Shameless self-plug
    Length: 33 Chapters + Epilogue/193K
    Finished? Yes
    Summary: "James Sirius Potter, it is the judgment of the Wizengamot that you have been found guilty. You knowingly, in possession of sound mind and body, used the Cruciatus Curse and the Killing Curse in the intentional torture and murder of one Gregory Goyle the Third."

James Potter was going to Azkaban for the rest of his natural life, and his whole family was in shambles. His wife and child have fled the country, his sister was missing, and his parents were a wreck. However, James knew that he had larger problems: his guilt was coming more and more in question.

Though he knew that James was withholding information about the circumstances of the murder of which he had been found guilty, Harry had secrets of his own; however, even he could not handle this torrent of trouble alone. Can Harry trust his darkest confidences to anyone? Even family?

How will the Potter clan stop the downward spiral into pain and disaster, and can they recover what they've lost?
    Ships: Harry/Ginny, James Sirius/Augusta (OC), Albus/Anne (OC) and a few that I won't list due to spoilers
    Why it's a good read: This is a story about worst possible scenarios and how characters react. There is a lot of violence in the story and a couple touchy subjects, but all the Next-Gen characters are adults by this point. And no, I'm not rating my own work.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Where are you Wetherby?
    Oh cassie123 has written some great Next-Gen fics in which the children are older.

Frames of Existence

In The Stillness of Night (This is truly beautiful and a must-read! It was inducted into the SBBC Hall of Fame)

Reluctant Love and its follow-up, With The Cold.

Lovely banner by Minna! Icon from toreadabook on lj.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    OOh, Jules, good call on those stories! I actually forgot a few because I was just strolling through the next-gen category. These ones are a few years older but are still gorgeous.

Title: The Letter
    Author: Cassandra Cross
    Length: 19 chapters, 76K
    Finished? Yes
    Summary: Harry is so consumed with his career as an Auror that he loses touch with Ginny and their children until a letter arrives to help him remember what really matters. But is something sinister waiting out there to take it all away? An escape from Azkaban, the first in twenty years, stirs up Harry's worst fears from the past as those he loves are threatened.
    Ships: Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione
    Why it's a good read: Okay, this one is them as younger, but still, holy crap, what an amazing story. It's so very well-written,so you couldn't help but enjoy it.

Title: A Fresh Start
    Author: Hypatia
    Length: 18 chapters, 57K
    Finished? yes
    Summary: Scorpius Malfoy was brought up in the knowledge that he came from an old pure-blood family. Hogwarts is going to teach him a great deal more. Will he be able to rise above his family’s tainted past, or will history repeat itself?
    Ships: just the parents
    Why it's a good read: I know you wanted them older, but this story is just so freaking good, I couldn't NOT recommend it. The kids got themselves kidnapped, and the parents had to learn to cooperate to get them back. It's truly fantastic.

Title: Seeking a Reason
    Author: mzap
    Length: 7 chapters
    Finished? no, but she's still working on it
    Summary: Five Reasons to Hate James Potter II:
    1. He's arrogant (thinks he's the best thing to come into Quidditch... ha! Being a five time winner of Witch Weekly's most charming smile does not make you a Quidditch star)
    2. He's a womanizer (there's only so many fans you can please, James)
    3. He calls me a bad Seeker (oh, I'm sorry, I must have gotten the wrong impression when I caught the Snitch in front of your face twenty times)
    4. On a broader note, he insults me in his interviews (honestly, my jabs aren't nearly as horrible)
    5. He has this nagging little thing where he criticizes everything I do (next he's going to be telling me that I shouldn't start dating Felix Lupin)

If you ever ask Libby MacFarlan about James Potter II, prepare yourself for a long speech. She hates him. End of story. But when Quidditch rivalries get personal, egos start clashing and they soon find themselves in the midst of a scandal, involving nosy paparazzi, insulting news articles, obsessive fans, and one very jealous Felix Lupin. This could get complicated....
    Ships: Not a whole lot at the moment. James has his bimbo girlfriend and Felix has a crush on Libby, but that's all building up.
    Why it's a good read: This has the air of a more real world fic, almost like what the celebs in their world would live like. I really like the OC Libby's character. She's really relateable and just a bit messed up, mostly like the rest of us are. This is what makes the story so much fun is the characters feel so real in what they're like, not the larger than life spawn of the Trio who lived charmed lives with ridiculous danger.

Title: The Weekend We Were in Love
    Author: paperrose
    Length: one-shot
    Finished? yessss
    Summary: “Victoire …?” The realization that has popped into his head is not a welcome one. Sure he is mistaken, he rubs his tired eyes, but the naked angel on his bed doesn’t go away. “Oh, sh*t.”

After a drunken night of intimacy together, Teddy and Victoire have some decisions to make regarding their relationship.
    Ships: Teddy/Victoire
    Why it's a good read: I really like stories like this that are just...real. This isn't some convoluted, contrived storyline that grips you around the neck; it's about realising what just happened and how the hell they're going to get out of it. It's gorgeously written and the canon is flawless, as well as the characterisation of all the cast.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

sas__x
    Oh, thanks so much! I never expected so much, I can't wait to start reading them all.

-Sarah