Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horcrux Question!!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Here's my first thought - the natural state of one's soul is to be whole. A broken soul, a soul split into pieces, is no longer natural, no longer whole. This strikes me as a ... bad thing, and hence why doing something bad, something evil, does such a thing to a person's soul. Killing in unnatural, and does unnatural things to the killer - rips their soul in two. This is not desirable at all.

So I think that an act of love, of creating a child - something so natural - shouldn't be something that splits the soul and creates something unnatural. It just doesn't seem right, it seems the opposite of what nature intended. Does that make sense? A Horcrux is Dark magic - birth doesn't seem the way to bring about something so terrible.

And when it comes to the original post, and the question of Harry passing on Voldemort's Horcrux to his children via his own soul: I thought that Horcrux was destroyed, gone from him forever. Now, I could see a good fic bringing it back, but I can't see it being passed down genetically, so to speak. Unless, of course, there was some other magic invovled. Like, a curse or a potion that was used to enable it to happen. Then I could see something like that working.

Hope that helps!
    ~Gina

Laurskii
    Here's my first thought - the natural state of one's soul is to be whole. A broken soul, a soul split into pieces, is no longer natural, no longer whole. This strikes me as a ... bad thing, and hence why doing something bad, something evil, does such a thing to a person's soul. Killing in unnatural, and does unnatural things to the killer - rips their soul in two. This is not desirable at all.

So I think that an act of love, of creating a child - something so natural - shouldn't be something that splits the soul and creates something unnatural. It just doesn't seem right, it seems the opposite of what nature intended. Does that make sense? A Horcrux is Dark magic - birth doesn't seem the way to bring about something so terrible.
    My thought isn't that the creation of child would break the soul/create a Horcrux, but rather that it would counter, at least in part, the evil of the Horcrux already inside Harry. Harry and Voldemort's souls are very intertwined while the Horcrux is still in him. So the superior act of love of making a child would affect Harry's soul for the better - and the evil, damaged part of Voldemort's soul for the worse. Think of Harry's soul as a positive number - the addition of another positive number would make it greater. Voldemort's (Horcrux-ed soul, dwelling within Harry) would be a negative number, so the addition of a positive number would actually dwindle it(s negativity.) i.e. -10 + 4 = -6

And when it comes to the original post, and the question of Harry passing on Voldemort's Horcrux to his children via his own soul: I thought that Horcrux was destroyed, gone from him forever. Now, I could see a good fic bringing it back, but I can't see it being passed down genetically, so to speak. Unless, of course, there was some other magic invovled. Like, a curse or a potion that was used to enable it to happen. Then I could see something like that working.
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. Imagine an AU story where Harry has children before the Final Battle with Voldemort. I'm talking about love splitting the evil soul dwelling in Harry - and thereby accidentally passing down the Horcrux to the child. Not genetically, but by the magic that would occur when the act of love split the soul - just as when Harry was accidentally implanted with (for lack of a better term) the Horcrux in the first place.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

You know, maybe if in this scenario Harry was the mother, I would agree with your theory, but seeing as his interaction with the child is once when it is conceived and then when it is born. Their souls aren't in contact in any way in the time between. And even with the conception thing, the child won't actually exist until a while after...

I don't want to spoil your plot idea or anything, but I don't think it's extremely plausible.

Also, a Horcrux already is a shard of a whole soul - I don't think you can split a Horcrux up further...
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    I think souls are meant to be whole. So anything that splits them further is an act of evil. No kind of love could counteract the Horcrux and make it split again - because that's an act of evil. A Horcrux is just a part of a soul, after all.

And I have to agree with Karaley on the rest of it too. Biologically, it doesn't make sense, since Harry is the father. He has contact with the child at conception, and then not again until it's born. Their bodies and souls are separate, with Voldemort's Horcrux bit, firmly stuck in Harry. The Horcrux bit might be extremely unhappy with the amount of love that Harry is feeling for his unborn (and then born) child, but I don't think it could go anywhere.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    What happened when Voldemort tried to kill Harry, I believe, is first the Killing Curse destroyed the Horcrux because it was something that wasn't supposed to be inside of him (kind like someone pushing another person in front of them as a meat shield to take a bullet). Perhapes Harry's own soul even manipluated the Horcrux so it would be the one to be destroyed first.

But because it was the Horcrux that was destroyed by the Killing Curse, Harry's own soul remained intact, and that is how he lived.

And the entire idea of slipping a soul might be Dark Magic, not matter what the intention. I remember being a part of a discussion on the nature of Dark Magic. It was argued that just spells that hurt people would be Dark magic (there would be no dueling otherwise), but rather something that goes against the natural order of things (like taking a person's life before their time or causing the body to convulse in a way it never could otherwise to bring about pain that couldn't be accomplished either way).

And if a soul is meant to be whole, spliting it apart wouldn't certainly go against the natural order.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I think that having a child could maybe mend a soul, but I don't think it could be passed down. I think a soul is distinctly your own, you know?
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!