Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SPEW Babble #43

h_vic
    I had the loveliest weekend in Belfast, SPEW, but I'm exhausted now. My cousin's one-year-old daughter is adorable but so tiring - she's just a little bundle of energy.

And why are you all finishing your reqs so early this month?!? You are all scaring me and my procrastination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    * Jess likes not going to school. I agree with this. University is MUCH better.
    I suppose that I'm just lazy, because that doesn't sound any better to me, lol. I fail at responsibility and commitment. The only commitment at which I would succeed is the kind where they lock me up in a padded cell. XD
    But uni is so about a complete lack of responsibility!

CoolCatElly
    Dear SPEW

I am typing this out of my sickbed at home, where I am currently confined due to a sudden onset of laryngitis.

If I die, please know that I expect a stirring eulogy from each and every one of you.

Until we meet again, in this word or the next

Your Fellow-SPEWer
    Elene

Yes well anyway, I'm feeling a bit melodramatic at the moment. I am really not well though, but at least I still have my comp - and there's plenty to do on here.

And why are you all finishing your reqs so early this month?!? You are all scaring me and my procrastination.
    Hehe, well, I'd rather do them now than leave them to the last moment, because I have a lot of other things to be getting on with. I don't fancy doing my SPEW, PA and QSQ judging all rushed in one night TBH, so I'm just leaving PA till the last moment (Not to mention I'm averaging about 10000 words of Betaing a day - not sure how that happened >.> )

RE: Europe - I really wanted to go on one of those "18-30 year olds only" tours around Europe before I leave for Canada, but it seems all the ones this month and next are booked. :-( Hoping I can still find something.

Lets see, what else... Anyone here play the guitar? I just started learning a few months ago, and I'm loving it. I had a lesson again last night, and today it hurts to type lol. My poor fingers...

That's all for now

xxx
    Meeee

Vorona
    I've been lazy. As in, I've been doing nothing but reading all day. I hardly even got on the computer yesterday at all. I finished the Mortal Instruments, and my second favorite character is definitely Maia.

What sort of stuff have you been reading? That is what sort of "random, not-considered-literature, type fiction"?

Monthly activities: I'm just really excited, but I'm not done yet. Actually, I keep wishing (this will probably change) that there were *more* requirements. At the moment, I just have a SPEW buddy review and the character chat to do. Jess and I have not gotten together yet. But I also have list of people I *want* to do reviews for, and a part of me wants to just do them . . . but I also don't want to look like an overachiever.

Elene - I hope you feel better soon! I was sick this week-end, but it's a stupid recurring stomach thing that just happens occasionally. On the plus side, it means I wasn't really "sick" and I am used to it by now, but on the negative side, it means it's not gone yet, and who knows when the next time I'll have it will be. At least it's nothing serious, just annoying.

I don't play the guitar, but I've wanted to try for awhile now.

And I've been terribly delinquent with my beta reading. Ugh, I'm so far behind!

h_vic
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorona
    And I've been terribly delinquent with my beta reading. Ugh, I'm so far behind!
    *Hides*

I will send your chapter back soon, honestly!

Eugh, everyone seems to be ill - I've got a nasty cold at the moment too. Hope you both feel better soon, Vorona and Elene.

I know what you mean, Vorona, about the stories you *want* to review. I have loads of stories bookmarked to review at some point. The problem is I never have time to leave SPEW reviews for them all, and I can't ever bring myself to leave brief reviews instead, so they just pile up.

Does anyone else find they tend to end up with themed reviews? I realised that both stories I'm planning to review this month are Remus-centric for some strange reason, despite the fact he's not a character I read all that often.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Aw, I hope you get better soon, guys! Aaaanddd I play guitar, Elene. Badly. But I still know a thing or two about it. I keep meaning to do it more often, but I only like strumming with my thumb, and then I get a blister on it and then it hurts to play, and my poor guitar gets neglected >.> Do you play acoustic or electric? I play acoustic. I love the rougher, but somehow cleaner, quality of the sound :/

Does anyone else find they tend to end up with themed reviews?
    All the time! And themed writing too. Last month I did a couple of Ariana Dumbledore themed writings, and this month I did all-poetry reviews.

-pickles-

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorona
    At the moment, I just have a SPEW buddy review and the character chat to do. Jess and I have not gotten together yet. But I also have list of people I *want* to do reviews for, and a part of me wants to just do them . . . but I also don't want to look like an overachiever.
    No worries. I'm generally an AIM creature. I have Mondays and Thursdays off almost always, so I'll definitely be on a lot then. About the review...if you've already done your monthly reviews, you can just review and use your review for me for next month and get a head start. In my first few months in SPEW, I did all of my reviews a month ahead of time in case my muse ran away with me and I forgot to do them later.

As for finishing early, I did that because I have a buttload of QSQ judging to do, plus a handful of WIPs that need my attention. I need to crank out a couple chapters of my Harmony, plus one for my Next-Gen fic, and then finish my half-done AU story. Then there's my half-finished James/Lily story (yes, that particular mythical creature, a Jess J/L, does exist), and start my SSS. Bollocks, why do I keep doing this. I suck. >.<
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobeor... just Jess
    * We welcomed Dinny!
    Very much so.
    I agree whole-heartedly. and Jess, what QSQ category are you judging?

Ooooh! I play an acoustic guitar! Does being mediocre and amateur count? And for Veronica and Ariana, my favourite character from The Mortal Instruments trilogy would have to be Alex for reasons I cannot comprehend.

Does anyone else find they tend to end up with themed reviews?
    Er, no. I guess my random-picking skills like variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    But I also have list of people I *want* to do reviews for, and a part of me wants to just do them . . . but I also don't want to look like an overachiever.
    But you could submit those extra reviews for next month, right? Is that okay? I have a SPEW Buddy thing going on, but I already submitted all three reviews. . . I wonder if we could submit the extra ones for next month.

/short post

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinny
    Jess, what QSQ category are you judging?
    It's technically supposed to be a secret. I'm sure that most of us have been covertly swapping horror stories of judging (in fact, I have a LJ rant post about it, lol). Besides, if I said it here, Hannah!Bob would likely hit me with her Slytherin staff and Crucio me. Not really. That's something I would probably do. >.> Hannah's far too nice for that.

But you could submit those extra reviews for next month, right? Is that okay? I have a SPEW Buddy thing going on, but I already submitted all three reviews. . . I wonder if we could submit the extra ones for next month.
    As far as I know, you can use a review that is up to three months old. I know I've hung onto a review for a little while because I unintentionally wrote too many SPEW reviews for one month or I knew I was going to be uber busy in the next. I don't see why you couldn't. I would find the rule, but I suck at rules.

Never mind. I couldn't resist looking it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extended SPEW Rules from spewbusiness on LJ
    If a member of SPEW has signed up for the monthly SPEW Buddies Program, the member must review their buddy within the specified review period.

SPEW members are allowed to hand in reviews that have been written before the current review period, unless they have been used before. It is recommended not to post reviews older than four months to the current review thread.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found out that my story got accepted and posted, thanks to my wonderful beta (who actually happens to be my SPEW triplet) Elene (by the way, I hope you get better soon!)

This is going to be a short post, because technically I'm working on my Fetal Alcohol Syndrome essay right now and I have to press Ctrl H every time my parents come into the room .

Ahem. Back to business.

SPEW members are allowed to hand in reviews that have been written before the current review period, unless they have been used before. It is recommended not to post reviews older than four months to the current review thread.
    So does that mean I can go on a review-binge and review like twenty stories this month and then use them for October/November/December?

Quote Originally Posted by DinDin
    And for Veronica and Ariana, my favourite character from The Mortal Instruments trilogy would have to be Alex for reasons I cannot comprehend.
    Probably because he's just so gosh darn amazing! *gushes*

Oh, and Dinny, have you read The Clockwork Angel yet?

xx Ariana

Thank you to Hokey for the beautiful banner. And thank you to everyone who nominated and judged --I'm so grateful to you <3.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

Wow, I feel stupid because you are all talking about things I can't touch, No, outsiide of university, I haven't written and I haven't read a book just to read it in ages. I'm currently reading one of those uber hard 'Why Study English' paradigm things. Well, I'm swaying with the Spooky thing because it forces me to write, but that can go through endless hell because we all know Jenn can't write worth a damn. And the going to university thing we're touching on? What an atomosphere with that ongoing love/hate phenomenon. I want out. I love it, I do, but I'm so the toddler shaking the bars of the crib here. Pretty sure I covered nothing there. I'm out.