Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Chaptered Fics

emck

Long Chaptered Fics

Okay, so I have this thing for long, intense, well-written fics. I'm not fussy when it comes to subject matter - though I'm not a huge fan of OC fics - but I really just want something that's really long, really well written, and just plain interesting.

Romance is okay, but not neccesary. Alternative versions of the original stories are...okay, but only if they're really well written. I'm not particularly into the whole dark/angsty thing, but if it's well written...I'm up for just about anything, as long as it's well written, really.

So...if anyone's read any amazing fics that they really liked, uh...let me know, I guess.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    A Little More Time by Pallas.

This is around 26 chapters and is very well-written. Pallas is an incredible writer and has managed to devise a plot (Teddy travelling back to the Battle of Hogwarts to rescue his parents) which is truly wonderful.

I think it's the best fic on the site.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Too Sweet To Remember by Canadian Confessional - 26 Chapters. The plot doesn't show up until the later chapters but the chapters nearing the end was very touching.

Someone To Watch Over Me by MagEd - 34 Chapters; this is really intense. I wanted to finish this so bad, I was awake until 3am reading it. The fic's an ultimate scroll turner. PS: QSQ Award Winner.

Both are not your trypical Lily/James fic. (Sorry, when I first read fanfiction, I was all about that pairing) And I second Carole's rec.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    In honor of Chante's return to the forums and the archives, I have to recommend her Once There Was a Darkness series. Nice and long, not to mention they won a QSQ for her characterization of her OC, Shiloh Sanders.

Once There Was A Darkness: Year One
    Once There Was A Darkness: Year Two

Not to mention Chante' has just started writing it again, so there will be even more to come!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Going through my Favorites Page, I've found a bunch more!

Für Das Größere Wohl: Tim's infamous Dieter story with Nazi, Grindelwal's theology, and all that fun stuff!

When Worlds Collide: A really great Rose/Scorpius story

Shining Through Blackness: A very rare story about Isla Black and how she was disowned

Snivellus and the Head Girl: An AU Snape/Lily story about how he tries to win her back after royally messing up in his fifth year

Not Only a Granger: An older story, but with more than 30 chapters!

When Darkness Did Surround Us: Has won the QSQ for best Post Hogwarts story!

Marissa and the Wizards: This is probably my favorite story on the site, if only because the author keeps taunbting me by refusing to finish it! But if I recommend it to enough people and clap my hands really hard, it will happen!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

emck
    Wow, that a lot of suggestions Thanks so much, I'm going to go off and read until my eyes fall out now

Any more suggestions are still welcome

h_vic
    Not sure how you feel about higher ratings (because as it turns out my favourite longer stories tend to be Professors-rated), but here are a few stories that I would highly recommend:

In the Eyes of Others by Vindictus Viridian is by far the best character study of Severus Snape I've read (it got me interested in him back when I thought I had no interest in him at all). It tells his story through his school days and the events of Voldemort's first rise. It's a little AU now as it was written before DH, but sometimes I have trouble differentiating this story from canon because it's so well-written and so engrossing that it's hard to remember that this isn't actually what happened. There's also a whole sequence of related one shots to this story and an equally brilliant sequel.

Sins of the Father by The Vault is an OC story, but the OC is really well constructed and fits seamlessly into the canon universe. It's a deliciously dark and richly written, scandalous love story.

Consequentially Yours is an Oliver/Hermione story with plenty of plot and wonderful characterisation.

~Hannah

Simply Being
    Take My Heart Away by Hatusu It's nineteen chapters, or about 18,000 words. Summary:
    Hermione goes back in time with one mission: to kill Tom Riddle before he ever comes to power. A difficult task, correct? An impossible one, she realizes, as a love between them grows stronger than anything she has ever known. Now Hermione has a choice to make. Will she condemn the Wizarding world to almost certain destruction, or will she take the life of the one boy she has ever loved?
    This fic in one word: amazing. Really, to be able to realistically create a Hermione/Tom Riddle fic and break my heart--you know the auther has mad skill. Be forewarned, once you start it you will not be able to stop. Took me a few hours, but I got all the way through. On a side note, I also bawled for a solid half hour afterwards.

ahattab33
    1) Denial, by little beloved

One of my favorite stories ever, hands down. It's a slow moving Snape/Hermione, set after Book 7, canon-compliant except for the epilogue. Won QSQ (can't remember for which category) and also won awards on other sites. It's so well written, you are actually wanting Snape and Hermione to get together. Seriously. But they are both in character. Sounds crazy but she makes it work!

2) The Alex Quick Trilogy (and another is being written, I believe), by Inverarity

Alex Quick and the Thorn Circle
    Alex Quick and the Lands Below
    Alex Quick and the Deathly Regiment

Alex is a witch in America, who has a past that slowly comes out and gets involved in a lot of trouble. This is by far the most developed series about the Wizarding World in America I've ever read, and Alex wins you over pretty quickly. I believe Inverarity won not only a QSQ for one of the stories, but also for Alex as an OC. This books are AMAZING-- I've cried, laughed, and literally the last third of each one all has evil cliffies (which aren't that big a deal now that they are all out...).

3) Hogwarts Houses Divided by Inverarity

If you are unsure about the Alex Quick series, read this, and I think Inverarity's writing will convince you. Read this anyway. This is about Teddy and Co. in their first year at Hogwarts, and essentially how the stains of the past- prejudices and old wounds- have not healed even after Harry defeated Voldemort. And there's mystery and danger and action and I think the last half of this story is the most intense and excited I've ever been reading anything associated with fanfiction, and just about anything in general. BUT I cannot stress enough how well written this is.

That is plenty! Enjoy! Those are my favorite stories, and they all happen to be very long, intense, and extremely well-written, so I couldn't help but recommend them all.

~Amanda

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I'm like you, I like 'em long :P
    I don't know how to make the title the link soooo...

Closer Than I Ever Imagined by 3secondfish
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=27005

A Child's Gift by WinkeeJR
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/view...7180&warning=5
    This fic is super amazing, I love it so much

The Valiant Never by RJ Lupins Kat
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=62286
    It's kinda confusing, but if you pay attention, it's pretty good

Dance is the Hidden Language of the Soul by Soap
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=49109
    One of the first fics I read, and I loved it.

Nessun Dorma by Soap
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=74845
    So good

Smells Like Sirius Black by Soap
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=63403
    Loved it.
    And it's sequel...
    Polly by Soap
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=69065

This is the list of Top 10 Longest Stories
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/topl...st=longstories

You Want To Make A Memory? by Potter
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=66246
    Won 2 QSQ Awards.

And YES YES YES to Denial. It's fantastic!!!!!!

AHHHH!!! I can't believe I forgot this one!!!

His Draught of Delicate Poison by Subversa
    http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=45492
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!