Thread: Goblin Wars

Hybrid View

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!

Goblin Wars

The timeline section on the Lexicon isn't working, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any Goblin Wars or rebellion or anything that took place in the 1670s-80s? If there isn't, do people reckon I could make something like this up?

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I went on Harry Potter Wiki, and it says that there was a definite, canon rebellion in 1612.

To quote the entire article:

Quote Originally Posted by HP Wiki
    The Goblin Rebellions were a series of rebellions in which the goblin population of the Wizarding world has revolted against discrimination and prejudice towards their kind on behalf of wizards and witches. They were most prevalent during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, but even in modern times there are subversive goblin groups working in secret against the Ministry of Magic, according to the Daily Prophet. The historical rebellions have been described as "bloody and vicious."

One rebellion, in 1612, took place in the vicinity of Hogsmeade Village; the Three Broomsticks Inn was used as the wizards' headquarters for the rebellion.

Today, the goblin rebellions are one of the most important topics Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry students study in History of Magic. For the final exams during their first year, they have to memorize the dates of the goblin rebellions. During his fourth year exams, Ron Weasley could not remember all the names of the goblin rebels and invented some; by luck, he guessed Urg the Unclean's name correctly. In his History of Magic Ordinary Wizarding Level in 1996, Harry Potter skipped question four, which asked whether wand legislation contributed to the goblin riots of the eighteenth century.
    Given the anger expressed by some goblins, such as Griphook, about wizards denying goblins the right to use wands, it may indeed have been a contributing factor to past rebellions.
    This information was taken in part from JKR's WOMBAT tests, not just from the books. But if you're writing in the 70's, only 58 years later...I think making one up will work .

xx Ariana xx

Thank you to Hokey for the beautiful banner. And thank you to everyone who nominated and judged --I'm so grateful to you <3.

TheCursedQuill
    I typed in "Goblin Rebellions in 1670" into google to see if it would actually work.

THIS THREAD WAS THE FIRST LINK! I find that really cool... I also find it awesome HP has changed the internet..

Anyways, it also brought the Lexicon, which says that Goblin rebelllions took place in the 1600's and 1700's, so if you make one up in 1670-1680, it would make total sense.

The lexicon also says that Goblins are still till this date meeting in secret to rebel, according to the Daily Prophet. I thought that was just something to know.

Something else to help your story, if you haven't already thought about names,

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon
    The names of the rebels tend to run along the lines of "Bodrod the Bearded and Urg the Unclean," according to Ron
    -Sarah

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Thanks guys

I've gone for just making one up in 1680. And the leading goblin is called Gudbug the Gross. Reckon that's okay?

Mods, this thread has served it's purpose, it can be locked and graved now.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Um, I had a question about Goblin Rebellions too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah/TheCursedQuill
    The lexicon also says that Goblins are still till this date meeting in secret to rebel, according to the Daily Prophet. I thought that was just something to know.
    Do you think it'll be logical to write about a Goblin Rebellion that takes place after the Second War, in around 2006 (Or whenever Victoire is six)? I was planning to make all the Gringotts Goblins rebel against the wizards in the place. Bill and the other curse-breakers are the people rebelled against.

Any second opinions?

--Nadia

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesome banner by Bella/clabbert2101!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

By what we see from Griphook's behaviour (and Bill's attitude towards him/Goblins in general, which suggests that they are never friendly) I think you can have a goblin rebellion any time. They don't seem to have changed their opinions on wizards and on what rights they should have in any way. You could even have Harry's Gringotts break-in as the trigger for the rebellion... I don't suppose he was ever punished for that, which for the goblins (and their personal logic) would be an enormous offence.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey