Thread: Who would inform a student of a death?

jubjub15

Who would inform a student of a death?

I have looked all around the filing cabinet and reference desk and haven't found anything about this so i hope im not doubling up.

In my fic my MC parents die suddenly in an accident while she is still at school. So my questions are
    1) Would the Headmaster/Headmistress at the time tell them what had happened or would someone else? Would they get a letter sent to them?
    and
    2) As magical healing is in many ways more advanced than human medicine what sort of accident would be severe enough to kill someone? Also, the mother and father in question wouldn't be in any kind of muggle contraption so i can't use say airplane crash, but they do both have to be there

Any help would be great thanks.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    I'd imagine that if Dumbledore is the Headmaster, he would want to be there to help break the news, along with the student's Head of House.

But I guess it would depend on how the parents died. A family member might send an owl directly to the student... or to Dumbledore asking that the news be broken gently. The Malfoys for instance, wouldn't trust Dumbledore, though they might trust Snape with that kind of personal information. *thinking Trio era*

Hmm... not too sure about magical accidents that would kill somebody, particularly both parents at once. I'll have to get back to you on that one.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Hannah's mother was killed during HBP. Does anyone remember who it was that told her? I don't have my copy of the book on me right now, but it could prove to be a valuable insight into this question.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I imagine the headmaster would be there, and perhaps the student's head of house, or a teacher she gets on well with, perhaps both. Another family member might be there too.

As for magical accidents, how about some sort of explosion? A potion or a spell of some sort going terribly wrong, as with Luna's mother. Wizards, though they do seem to be more resistant that Muggles, aren't invincible and probably just as likely to die in car crashes or falling off buildings.

Hope this helps.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

sorrow_of_severus
    When Harry dreams that Mr. Weasley was attacked by Nagini in OotP and is either seriously injured or dead, aren't Ginny and the Weasley twins fetched by McGonagall and informed of the situation by Dumbledore? I am going on memory here, but if that's the case, I'd think that it would be normal for the Head of House or Headmaster to inform a pupil of the severe illness or death of a close family member.

jubjub15
    Ahh thanks for all the help! sorry i haven't thanked you all till now, i was on holiday

Anywho, i think im going to get the head teacher to tell them as they have no other family. And Sarah the magical explosions a great idea! I'll figure that out in more detail!

Thanks guys