Thread: Molly Weasley II

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Well, most arrogant know-it-alls have some insecurities underneath, and that's what causes them to boast about their achievements--because they try to convince themselves that they're worth something.

That may be taking it to an extreme, but give Molly some insecurities. She is the eldest daughter of Percy Weasley, who as we know is quite ambitious. Perhaps she has a hard time living up to her father's expectations for her? Or maybe Molly Sr. still holds some grudges for Percy abandoning the family like that, and Molly isn't very close with the rest of her cousins and is jealous of the close relationship they all seem to have.

Whatever the reason, don't make her shallow and arrogant through and through--give her some depth and likable points, because no one enjoys reading about someone they don't care about.

xx Ariana xx

Thank you to Hokey for the beautiful banner. And thank you to everyone who nominated and judged --I'm so grateful to you <3.

Blueberry Pie

Molly Weasley II

Okay, so in my fic, Molly is an annoying, arrogant know-it-all. And since I ususally try to keep my distance from such people, I need to be able to make her seem real. Not over the top and Mary-Sue. Also, in the fic, Audrey is a perky blonde. Crazy, much?

Any opinions, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated.

Jaz

I can go on for quite awhile. My performance astounds many and so, I shall write a book titled How to be a Molly, available in Flourish and Blotts by 2024.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Hmm. Why is your Molly the way she is? This might be a key to getting her behaviour right. Percy can be loud and annoying, but I wouldn't really say he's arrogant, more in love with rules and what's 'right'. What is your Audrey like? Has Molly inherited behaviour from that side of the family? Or is it down to an environmental factor; a large family so she feels she has to do something to get her share of attention, perhaps. If this is the case then maybe she'll try and bring the conversation around to her, in subtle ways rather than just blatant...

Albus: Oh Merlin, we've got Transfiguration after break.
    Rose: Oh no, another lesson with Professor Perkins! God I hate him.
    Molly: Yeah, he's so annoying, he picks on me so much!
    Albus: He picks on everyone! It's so unfair!
    Molly: You know what he made me do in class the other day...

Terrible example, but I hope it sort of gets the point across. With these sort of things, less really is more, so try and be subtle. In your face arrogance is really, really annoying and very unrealistic. To me it often feels like the author is trying to make a point that the character isn't one they approve of, yet it could be done in a much better way.

Perhaps something to do would be to get a beta that can discuss this sort of thing with you, or post excerpts in the Excerpts of Murtlap forum to get people to critique the stuff you've written.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Blueberry Pie
    Thank you, Sara and Ariana for your opinions.

Ariana:

Well, most arrogant know-it-alls have some insecurities underneath, and that's what causes them to boast about their achievements--because they try to convince themselves that they're worth something.
    True, that. But Molly is actually happy with what she is. She has brilliant leadership qualities and is wonderful at her studies; yet she sucks at Quidditch and isn't the most lovable person at Hogwarts. So, yes. She isn't perfect but she's satisfied with who she is. And to me, that's as perfect as one can get.

Maybe I was mistaken in calling her arrogant. It's more like... she knows what she excels at and makes it known that she's the best one for the job. (Head Girl, Captain of Gobstones club, etc)

She is the eldest daughter of Percy Weasley, who as we know is quite ambitious. Perhaps she has a hard time living up to her father's expectations for her?
    That's out of the question; in most cases she surpasses even him.

Or maybe Molly Sr. still holds some grudges for Percy abandoning the family like that, and Molly isn't very close with the rest of her cousins and is jealous of the close relationship they all seem to have.
    I'm sorry, but I can't imagine that happening. Mrs Weasley was distraught when Percy left. When he came back with Rufus for Harry, she was the only family member that wasn't hostile. Mothers love their kids no matter what; I've seen mothers still love their children after getting physically hurt by them. Mrs Weasley is one of the best mothers in HP and I find it unimaginable for her to keep a grudge against Percy's daughter for a mistake he now deeply regrets.

Whatever the reason, don't make her shallow and arrogant through and through--give her some depth and likable points, because no one enjoys reading about someone they don't care about.
    Thank you. That's very helpful.

Sara:

What is your Audrey like? Has Molly inherited behaviour from that side of the family?
    No, not really. Her mother is a lot like mine: someone that steps into a room and lightens whatever sort of atmosphere it may be. She's someone you'll never feel dull with. And that's why I thought that she may be a good match for Percy. My father is a no-nonsense man. He follows rules like it's a matter of life and death. Yet, here they are: around twenty years together and no one could be happier.

Or is it down to an environmental factor; a large family so she feels she has to do something to get her share of attention, perhaps.
    Like I mentioned above, Molly is happy with what she is. She actually gets attention so she really isn't in need of seeking it.

In your face arrogance is really, really annoying and very unrealistic. To me it often feels like the author is trying to make a point that the character isn't one they approve of, yet it could be done in a much better way.
    I do not like arrogance at all. From a young age, my father always instilled that rule: do not show off to those unfortunate then you. And so, I do not approve of it. But I want to write of it and try and get it right. I want to be able to write about characteristics that I dislike and make them sound realistic.

Perhaps something to do would be to get a beta that can discuss this sort of thing with you, or post excerpts in the Excerpts of Murtlap forum to get people to critique the stuff you've written.
    Good advice. I already have a brilliant beta doing wonders with it. There's no harm in having a few more opinions though, right?

Thank you

Jasmine

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    I am working on a second generation story and would really like to strike up some conversation and discussion in this thread. So, here are just some general questions about Molly and I'll answer them myself below.

To really know what Molly (and Lucy) would be like, one has to think about their parents. What do you think Audrey is like and what kind of relationship do she and Percy have?

What are some general traits that Molly would have? Is she more like her father, her mother, or a healthy mix of the two?

What do you think she looks like and what age would she be during the Epilogue?

What House would you place her in?

What kind of a relationship does she have with her father? Mother? Sister? Cousins?

-~-~-~-

To really know what Molly (and Lucy) would be like, one has to think about their parents. What do you think Audrey is like and what kind of relationship do she and Percy have?

I imagine Audrey as being rather free-spirited, open-minded, and just a bit quirky. She would be a few years younger than Percy, and she tends to balance him out. While he worries about everything and concentrates on work, she shows him how to let things go and go with the flow and not plan out every second of the day and to put work aside when he's home. I have always though of them meeting in the Ministry after he has worked up to a top position, and she has just come out of an internship and works as a secretary for his department. He finds her refreshing compared to the others who don't ever talk and are usually grumpy. They actually don't get married until 2004, six years after the war, mostly because they don't meet until 2002.

What are some general traits that Molly would have? Is she more like her father, her mother, or a healthy mix of the two?

Molly takes mostly after her mother in everything but looks. She enjoys going against the crowd just to be different and socializing is much higher on her priority list then academics. She tends to freeze up when scared or in danger, though, and her mind blanks on what to do when she's really pressured. She is loyal, though, and wouldn't betray a friend's trust for anything. She is a very warm and caring person that people often come to when they are going through a rough time. She also tries out Quidditch her fifth year and makes it as Chaser, though she only plays for that year because she had trouble focusing when all the attention was on her.

What do you think she looks like and what age would she be during the Epilogue?

I imagine her as having red hair that is cut in a very short pixie-style with long side bags that often hang in her face. She has brown eyes and is covered in freckles. She is of pretty average height and has a slender build. In the Epilogue, I think she would be about ten years old and would be a year behind Rose and Albus in Hogwarts and the same year as Hugo and Lorcan.

What House would you place her in?

I have her in Hufflepuff because she exhibits more of those traits than any others.

What kind of a relationship does she have with her father? Mother? Sister? Cousins?

She and her father don't get along much because he does tend to expect higher marks than Molly is able to gain. She has a wonderful relationship with Audrey, though, and tells her everything. Lucy and Molly don't get along too well since they are basically opposites. Molly tends to be envious of Lucy's smart mind, though Lucy has absolutely no confidence issues and is very happy with who she is. Molly and Hugo are close friends, though not as much as Rose and Albus. She gets along very well with Lily, and the rest of her cousins are loved family members but not really friends.