Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gryffindor Qualities

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?

Gryffindor Qualities

Perhaps this is the wrong section to post this in (please move if necessary mods!) but I'm having a problem writing a realistic Gryffindor OC.

Gryffindors are brave (sometimes to the point of foolhardy). They have a well developed sense of honor and sense of doing what's right.

What else makes up a Gryffindor?
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Well, let's see what other adjectives were uses:

Bold, Chivilrous, Daring, Brazen

Those all still kinds sound like 'brave, though, don't they?

I feel like Gryffindor was meant to be the quint-essential 'hero house', though, and brave does tend to be the main characterisitic that comes to mind with heros. But another definition of hero I have heard is a person who is able to head into danger, even when they really are scared, because they know it is what they need to do. I feel like anyone that J.K. wanted to be one of the 'major heros' in the book got Sorted into Gryffindor, even Neville who didn't seem to show his hero side until the last few books.

I also think some unofficial traits (or at least things Snape has said) are that Gryffindors are pig0headed, stubborn, have poor self-preservation, all-brawns no-brains, that sort of thing.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Ok, how does good ole Dumbledore fit as a Gryffindor then?

He's smart enough to be a Ravenclaw and manipulative enough to be in Slytherin. ... of course, we don't really know what 11 year old Dumbledore was like but still.

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

I think Dumbledore is a Gryffindor because he stands up for what he believes in, like with the Order. I'm sure other poeople in different Houses do too, but Dumbledore listens to himself and stays true to his opinions, even if most of the world doesn't listen to him. He was probably like that while he was younger. Or maybe there was some life changing event while he was in his early teens.

That's what I think, anyway.
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Well, remember in DH where Dumbledore wonder if they Sort their students too early? Depending on how self aware you think he is, he might have been refering to himself as well.

And I have always felt that the traits found in Slytherins would be pretty hard to spot in an eleven-year-old. Perhapes Dumbledore always had these traits to some degree and the just matured over time "while sitting at his mother's knees.". Or he could have just really begged the Hat to put him in Gryffindor too; maybe it was his father's House.

Or, like I said before, it could have just been a literary device to show Dumbledore as the supremem hero while the books were still pretty slanted in good vs. evil.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    So Gryffindors are more likely to stand up for what they believe in, even if it's an unpopular stance? Or do you think a Gryffindor would be more worried about whether people think they are brave?

Also, how does "chivalrous" work out in the case of girls? I think I have a bad reaction to the word because it gets conflated with misogyny sometimes, but seriously, how does chivalrous work for girls?

memish
    For a girl, chivalry would be more like good manners, politeness, gracious maybe? At least that's how I view the word, but in my mind Gryffindors aren't necessarily always "polite." And that's certainly not the case in the books.

As to your other point, I think that a Gryffindor is meant to be someone who would do what is right...in the end. I also think that realistically, they might feel the pressure of their house turning out so many "hero" type figures and thus worry about being seen as brave. Many Gryffindors that we see in the books, however, don't seem to worry overly much about their public perception. But, for me, the main thing would be doing what THEY truly believe in the end.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Standing in Line for Gilderoy Lockhart's Autograph
    Hmm... Luna was as brave as any of the Gryffs. And Epilogue Harry said Snape (Slytherin, duh) was one of the bravest men he had ever known. Gryffs are known primarily for bravery, but they aren't the only ones who are.

Dumbledore is seriously brave. He was hunting the Horcruxes on his own before Harry even knew what was going on, and he faced danger constantly in the fight against Voldemort.
    Lovely banner by Nadia

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasley Mom
    Hmm... Luna was as brave as any of the Gryffs. And Epilogue Harry said Snape (Slytherin, duh) was one of the bravest men he had ever known. Gryffs are known primarily for bravery, but they aren't the only ones who are.
    If you turn it around though, you can say the same for Hermione, for Dumbledore, and (I assume) for Lily Evans. Top marks, the lot of them. They were brilliant students, yet sorted into Gryffindor. And were James and Sirius not said to be of the brightest in their year?

I think it is hard to distinguish the houses from one another because people are so complex - we will not only have one of the four traits represented. But overall we Gryffindors are not only smart and compassionate enough to figure out what is right and what is wrong, but are brave enough to do something about it, no matter the cost. At least that is how we aspire to be; I am not saying we all manage (look at Wormtail, grr), or that this counts for every person ever to be sorted into the house.

Maybe this is what sets the houses apart - Gryffindors wish to be brave and act upon what they believe above all else, whereas Ravenclaws perhaps wish to discover the cure to Dragonpocks instead?

Hmm. I also think that the Gryffindor attributes are most easily the typical 'hero' ones, but not every person's hero is the same. When I was younger, I confess, I looked up to Batman, but my older brother proclaimed Einstein to be the greatest at age three. Maybe your typical Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin would say that the person who died tring to protect a village from an onslaught of inferi all by himself was not brave and a hero as Gryffindors might believe, but stupid for not finding a way to escape and save all their necks.

I'm not sure of any of this, I'm more thinking aloud then anything. I also know this isn't directly the answer to your question, sorry about that, but the lines between these matters so easily disappear. Huh. Just my two cents, or whatever it is you say on your side of the lake.
    Andrea
    avvie by Annalise and banner Dinny/Evora - Becca, Lyss, Lise, Ronnie, ily <3
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I agree with the whole Gryffindor's stand up for what they believe and stuff, but I also feel that Gryffindors are highly passionate. If you look at any of the Gryffindors, they all have a feeling of passion for certian things. I also see Gryffindors as people who are willing to die fo the things they love and believe in. We see this in almost all the Gryffindors, as they are always ready to put down their lives to save anothers or to bring about something they believe in.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!