Thread: Infertility

Vorona

Infertility

So, I tried looking this up online, but it seems to be such a personal issue that I couldn't make any sense out of what I was getting.

My question is this:

How long would a wizarding couple try to have a child before turning to magical means of conception?

And then, how long would it take to learn that none of the magical methods work, and turn to Muggle methods? This, I figure, is probably somewhat up to me, but I'm including it in case there is information on magical fertility methods out there.

And then, how long would they need to be trying Muggle methods before giving up and realizing that nothing was going to work? This is the main one that I couldn't really find.

Or is that a completely implausible idea as it is?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out my time line, and I'm having a couple break up over the lack of a child -- well, and other reasons, but that's the main catalyst. I have another couple also breaking up, and both couples would have gotten together around the same time. I'm worried that if couple A spends too much time staying together on the hope of having a child/family, that it will seem less plausible that couple B didn't break up sooner. I think I can arrange it, but I need to know if we're talking 5 years or 20 years . . .

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    How long would a wizarding couple try to have a child before turning to magical means of conception?
    It depends on the couple. If they're really into having it happen naturally, then it could plausibly be up to 5 years until they realize it's time to try something else. But if the couple is really concerned with having a baby right that moment, then maybe one year. But, as a generalization, I'd go with 2-3 years.

And then, how long would it take to learn that none of the magical methods work, and turn to Muggle methods? This, I figure, is probably somewhat up to me, but I'm including it in case there is information on magical fertility methods out there.
    I don't know if they would use Muggle methods. Most wizards would probably believe the magical ways to be more effective than the Muggle ways--even if they weren't anti-Muggle. Medicine in the Wizarding world is so much more advanced than Muggle medicine that I'm not sure they would turn to Muggle methods at all.
    But, if you're making it that they're absolutely desperate, then maybe two years after they've tried the Wizarding methods.

And then, how long would they need to be trying Muggle methods before giving up and realizing that nothing was going to work?
    Again, it depends on the couple. I don't know how far their faith would go in Muggle methods, so it would probably be less time than they spend on the Wizarding methods--even though this would be their last hope. I'd say a year, maybe two.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out my time line, and I'm having a couple break up over the lack of a child -- well, and other reasons, but that's the main catalyst. I have another couple also breaking up, and both couples would have gotten together around the same time. I'm worried that if couple A spends too much time staying together on the hope of having a child/family, that it will seem less plausible that couple B didn't break up sooner. I think I can arrange it, but I need to know if we're talking 5 years or 20 years . . .
    I think this really just depends on your characters and their personal mindsets. My mom's friends spent 10 years before they finally gave up, but they really, really wanted a child. As in, they were literally depressed for a long time when they found out it wouldn't happen. Six/seven years is ample time, in my opinion .

Good luck with your story!!

xx Ariana xx

Thank you to Hokey for the beautiful banner. And thank you to everyone who nominated and judged --I'm so grateful to you <3.

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    *Warning: Personal Content Ahead*

This topic is very close to home for me, and I will give you my experience, though obviously, not magical.

Medically, infertility is defined as one year of unprotected relations without conception. Since there would be no difference in magical vs Muggle relations, I would say this definition would apply in both worlds.

I have never seen any stories/discussions containing magical fertility methods (though would be very interested to read them - and this, most likely) but can't comprehend what the magical world could do that the Muggle world could not. In fact, it would be interesting to say that it was first a witch/wizard that introduced IVF to the Muggles. I imagine most of the readers here don't want to hear about this, but if you want to know specifics about assisted reproductive technologies, please feel free to PM me.

And then, how long would they need to be trying Muggle methods before giving up and realizing that nothing was going to work? This is the main one that I couldn't really find.
    Or is that a completely implausible idea as it is?

This is entirely dependent on the couple. And that is likely to change over time. Some couples I have interacted with have religious or other beliefs that prevent them from trying methods such as IVF, and there are others who go so far as to use donor embryo (the child would not be biologically related to either parent, but the woman would carry a pregnancy). Some people say they could NEVER do something like donor embryo, until they are actually faced with the possibility that they may never be pregnant otherwise (and even then, there are no guarantees).

Again, completely dependent on your couple. Many marriages/relationships (including mine) have been strengthened by infertility. Just as many fall apart. If the couple is not on the same page with how far they will go in the journey, that can lead to the relationship falling apart quickly. For example, natural methods are not working, and one wants to move on to assisted reproductive methods, but the other has moral convictions that will not let him/her. If, for example, one of the couple is sterile, the other may decide having a child is more important than the relationship with the partner. That could happen very quickly. From what I have seen and heard, if the relationship is going to end, it is because one of the couple gets so absorbed in trying to have a baby that he or she becomes consumed by it, and that is what ultimately kills the relationship.

I'm very sorry for answering your questions with a book, but like I said, this is a subject quite close to my heart. If you have any questions about the medical side or the emotional side, please feel free to send me a message. I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page