Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Informing Muggleborns

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Informing Muggleborns

In the books, Harry doesn't start receiving letters inviting him to Hogwarts until the summer before he is to begin attending. But while he might have been raised by Muggles, he was still considered a halfblood wizard and probably did not receive the same consideration as true Muggleborns do.

What I wonder is, when do you think British Muggleborns would have their letters sent to them? I have seen stories where students get their letters at the same time as everyone else, where they receive it on their eleventh birthdays, and some where they receive their letters up to a year and a half or two years before they are to begin attending.

What are the thoughts and opinions of this subject from the community?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I heard somewhere that the Headmaster speaks with the student and the family a year in advance, but still sends their official letter on time. I think this seems reasonable, as there are things you cannot explain in a letter, and a year of getting used to things seems adequate.

I don't think they'd receive their Hogwarts letter any earlier, because it doesn't really explain much. I think Dumbledore (or the Headmaster at that time) would speak to their families, show them Diagon Alley and how to exchange their Muggle money and that sort of thing (and probably do some calming down, as well ) . But that's just my take on it.

Hope this helped!

xx Ariana xx

Thank you to Hokey for the beautiful banner. And thank you to everyone who nominated and judged --I'm so grateful to you <3.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by lucca4
    I heard somewhere that the Headmaster speaks with the student and the family a year in advance, but still sends their official letter on time. I think this seems reasonable, as there are things you cannot explain in a letter, and a year of getting used to things seems adequate.
    I guess the way I heard it was that the school sends a teacher with the letter and he sits down with the parents and the child and tells them about Hogwarts then and there.

Any other opinions?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    I agree that the Headmaster would come with the letter, to explain things better. (Although I feel like I read somewhere that McGonagall came to tell Hermione's family...)

I think that everything would be revealed the same time as other students get their letters. If it's too soon, they might start thinking that it's a trick or hoax, and I also think it would increase the chances of the Muggle-born student to break secrecy. The student hasn't yet been immersed in the wizarding world, so he/she might not feel as strong of a need to keep his/her magic a secret.

Please read & review my new story! Banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Judging by the fact that Dumbledore went to see Tom Riddle, and (idk if this is right, but ex17 said so anyway ) McGonagall came to see the Grangers, that sounds like it's the task of the Deputy Headmaster/-mistress. Isn't it McGonagall who signed Harry's letter too?

Since we don't know when the letters are delivered, you have free reign with that, I suppose. I think it would make sense that it would be delivered at some point between their tenth and eleventh birthday. For some people, this is probably a huge decision, and you can't make that within a couple of days/weeks.

Maybe if you reread that chapter in HBP in which DD visits Tom Riddle... Maybe they mention something about the weather that might tip you off on what time of year it is.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Do you think it would have to be the headmaster or the deputy headmaster who went to the student's house with the letter? Otherwise, why didn't Dumbledore or Professor McGongall come to the shack on the island on Harry's eleventh birthday?

I would also think the headmaster and the deputy headmaster would probably be the busiest members of the staff just before the school year. And depending on what statistic you believe about Muggle-borns (whether 1 in 4 students are Muggle-borns or 1 in 10). Couldn't the names of Muggle-borns logically be split amongst the members of the staff. A teacher could probably be just as qualified to explain the wizarding world as the headmaster is.

Not to mention spliting the names would make the job a lot smaller, especially given the the teachers seem to accompany them to Diagon Alley as well.

Brand New Story!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    There's not that many Muggleborns though, are there.

From what we know of Harry's year, there's three - Hermione, Justin and Dean (who was effectively a Muggleborn because he never knew his real father). I don't think they'd have to split it between that many teachers. For all JK Rowlings words about there being more pupils than she mentions in the books, there are only 20 pupils in Slytherin and Gryffindor for that first flying lesson.

I think in Harry's case that Hagrid was chosen by Dumbledore because of a sense of sentimentality - Hagrid had brought him away from Godric's Hollow, so Hagrid went to get him from that place in Scotland.

It's also far more intimidating to Vernon to be faced with a half giant and it's more dramatic than McG turning up although undoubtedly she could do far more harm than Hagrid when riled.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    I don't know that they would have divide it up among that many teachers. There aren't that many Muggleborns a year.

That being said, the Deputy Headmaster or Headmistress would probably go unless there's projected to be some kind of problem... like Harry not actually getting any of his letters. Once they started having to send him tons and tons of letters, and their location kept moving, that would tip them off to possibly send someone more intimidating like Hagrid.

If the Deputy Headmistress or Headmaster is really unfamiliar with the Muggle world, they could send a Muggleborn professor though. *thinking of "Marissa and the Wizards"
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

TheCursedQuill
    It seems to me that a student would get his/her letter either a little before their birthday or exactly on their eleventh birthday, seeing as Hagrid came for Harry on the precise minute of his birthday.

Hermione's birthday is right after the start of school, and seeing as she didn't go to Hogwarts till the following year (as she's one year older than Harry and Ron), so she could have possibly gotten her letter a year in advance.

I think they'd keep the letters consistant with going on the students birthday no matter what.

For muggleborns, I see the deputy headmaster/mistress as others have said, coming to see the family and explaining everything to them. I think in order to make sure the family and student keep the secrecy they'd perform a bit of magic, like Dumbledore did to show Tom magic was real.

I'd say for the more stubborn families, they might even take them to Diagon Ally.

I could see them sort of just throwing them into the wizard world, instead of easing a family into it. They might get skeptical if things were slowly revealed. It almost seems more like a wizards way to just throw them into it anyways.

The Granger's didn't seem all too knowledgable of the wizarding world in CoS. I'm pretty sure they were described as looking confused in Gringotts...

That's all just what I think!

-Sarah

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    All this stuff about birthdays... Hogwarts wrote to Harry before his birthday. He only read the letter on his birthday. The letter said that Hogwarts 'awaited their owl by no later than 31st of July'. Anyone with a birthday in August would recieve their letter after that date and I don't see why they would have one cut-off date for most people, and another for people born in August, so I don't think that the letters were recieved on their birthdays.

I think that at least students with magical parents would be informed in the summer holidays, when the older students get their letters. Perhaps the Muggle-borns would as well, but I think that the parents and the student would need more than a month or so to come to terms with the revelation and to make arrangements to hide the fact that the student is going to a school of magic. It would be kinder to Muggle-born students and parents to find out perhaps a year in advance. Harry got his letter in the summer holidays with the students who had knowledge of the magical world, even though he didn't know anything, because Hogwarts thought he did. They didn't send anyone with the letter the first time it was sent, as they apparently do with Muggle-borns, after all. They only sent someone when it became apparent that the letters weren't reaching him, and Dumbledore perhaps suspected why.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!