Thread: Informing Muggleborns

Hybrid View

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Informing Muggleborns

In the books, Harry doesn't start receiving letters inviting him to Hogwarts until the summer before he is to begin attending. But while he might have been raised by Muggles, he was still considered a halfblood wizard and probably did not receive the same consideration as true Muggleborns do.

What I wonder is, when do you think British Muggleborns would have their letters sent to them? I have seen stories where students get their letters at the same time as everyone else, where they receive it on their eleventh birthdays, and some where they receive their letters up to a year and a half or two years before they are to begin attending.

What are the thoughts and opinions of this subject from the community?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I heard somewhere that the Headmaster speaks with the student and the family a year in advance, but still sends their official letter on time. I think this seems reasonable, as there are things you cannot explain in a letter, and a year of getting used to things seems adequate.

I don't think they'd receive their Hogwarts letter any earlier, because it doesn't really explain much. I think Dumbledore (or the Headmaster at that time) would speak to their families, show them Diagon Alley and how to exchange their Muggle money and that sort of thing (and probably do some calming down, as well ) . But that's just my take on it.

Hope this helped!

xx Ariana xx

Thank you to Hokey for the beautiful banner. And thank you to everyone who nominated and judged --I'm so grateful to you <3.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by lucca4
    I heard somewhere that the Headmaster speaks with the student and the family a year in advance, but still sends their official letter on time. I think this seems reasonable, as there are things you cannot explain in a letter, and a year of getting used to things seems adequate.
    I guess the way I heard it was that the school sends a teacher with the letter and he sits down with the parents and the child and tells them about Hogwarts then and there.

Any other opinions?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    I agree that the Headmaster would come with the letter, to explain things better. (Although I feel like I read somewhere that McGonagall came to tell Hermione's family...)

I think that everything would be revealed the same time as other students get their letters. If it's too soon, they might start thinking that it's a trick or hoax, and I also think it would increase the chances of the Muggle-born student to break secrecy. The student hasn't yet been immersed in the wizarding world, so he/she might not feel as strong of a need to keep his/her magic a secret.

Please read & review my new story! Banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Judging by the fact that Dumbledore went to see Tom Riddle, and (idk if this is right, but ex17 said so anyway ) McGonagall came to see the Grangers, that sounds like it's the task of the Deputy Headmaster/-mistress. Isn't it McGonagall who signed Harry's letter too?

Since we don't know when the letters are delivered, you have free reign with that, I suppose. I think it would make sense that it would be delivered at some point between their tenth and eleventh birthday. For some people, this is probably a huge decision, and you can't make that within a couple of days/weeks.

Maybe if you reread that chapter in HBP in which DD visits Tom Riddle... Maybe they mention something about the weather that might tip you off on what time of year it is.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Do you think it would have to be the headmaster or the deputy headmaster who went to the student's house with the letter? Otherwise, why didn't Dumbledore or Professor McGongall come to the shack on the island on Harry's eleventh birthday?

I would also think the headmaster and the deputy headmaster would probably be the busiest members of the staff just before the school year. And depending on what statistic you believe about Muggle-borns (whether 1 in 4 students are Muggle-borns or 1 in 10). Couldn't the names of Muggle-borns logically be split amongst the members of the staff. A teacher could probably be just as qualified to explain the wizarding world as the headmaster is.

Not to mention spliting the names would make the job a lot smaller, especially given the the teachers seem to accompany them to Diagon Alley as well.

Brand New Story!