Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eastern vs. Western Wizarding World

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Well, if you want to keep in the theme of the Harry Potter books, I think brushes would be the obvious answer. I know they seem inconvinent to us mere Muggles, but quills are pretty inconvinient when you think about it too. How do students go about taking notes. I not composition books are notorious for having ink bleed for the pages. And yes, I am speaking from experience.

But the wonderful thing about fantasy stories; if something seems inconvinient, you can just tweak with reality to make your plot point fit. Perhapes there is some magical creature whose hair naturally retains ink to allow for easier writing.

So, do you think Asian wizards still travel through fire and Floo Powder? Do you think Floo Powder was introduced by Western wizards? What would have been used before then? If travel through ponds is impractical, do think any water source would work? What could be another means of travel that could be a parallel to the Western Floo?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    So, do you think Asian wizards still travel through fire and Floo Powder? Do you think Floo Powder was introduced by Western wizards? What would have been used before then? If travel through ponds is impractical, do think any water source would work? What could be another means of travel that could be a parallel to the Western Floo?
    Well, I think Floo is dependent on having big chimneys. So, that probably wouldn't work unless after the introduction of Floo powder people started building big chimneys. Given that Europeans tend to have bigger, brick chimneys than most other people, I think that's a good bet that Floo powder was invented and introduced by Europeans.

What would have been used before then... no idea.

Connecting all water sources in a system like Floo would be a pain in the butt, I think. It could work but there better be some good explanation of why and how.

Parallel to Floo how? Something that could be hooked up to a Muggle home? Something that is easily accessible?
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    New discussion topic: do you feel that in Asia, people would be more or less rigid about keeping wizarding blood 'pure'?
    *tries not to laugh, starts laughing, continues laughing so hard that she starts wheezing*

Ahem.

Japan

Non-wizarding Japanese are so obsessed with their own purity of blood and culture, that ethnic Koreans who are born and raised in Japan are not first-class citizens, and ethnic Japanese who were born in Brazil are also not first-class citizens and are often treated very poorly.

Japanese is also a language that is notoriously difficult to learn and perfect if you are not raised in it. I've read at least one claim that it is impossible to speak truly fluent Japanese if you're not born and raised in it - too many levels of politeness that change with regards to what gender you are and who you're speaking to. Fun stuff.

Verdict: Japanese wizards are likely to be so... obsessive that they make Voldemort look like a pansy, and it's likely to be enforced on a governmental wide basis, at least on citizenship if not actual marriage practices.

Korea

I really ought to do more digging into the social history of Korea, since as I recall, the Koreans did enslave one another, which was a status based upon where the person was from.

Modern South Koreans have some of the same hang-ups as the Japanese about fetishizing sexy mixed race people, but they're not nearly as bad overall.

For one thing, gender preference for boys has left a lot of South Korean men without wives. So, apparently, they've resorted to marrying other Asians, mainly Vietnamese, since there is a sufficiently high quantity of poor Vietnamese women who are willing to marry some Korean guy they barely know and hop off to a better life in Korea.

Verdict: Depends on how badly wizarding Koreans have screwed up their gender balance, I suppose. But given what I presume to have been a reasonably strict social hierarchy in ye olden days, and lack of desire to marry outside their racial group in the modern days, it's quite probable that they also are obsessed with blood purity.

China

Interesting case, I suppose. On the one hand, there are over a hundred minority groups that exist in mainland China. On the other hand, over 90% of the population is still Han Chinese. There has been a lot of pushing, lately, for the recognition of the various minority groups, kind of like how in the US there's "Asian Pacific Island Heritage Month" and the like so that we feel very multicultural and stuff.

If your take off point for China is... post-Song Dynasty, maybe post-Tang, you're looking at a very huge cultural superiority complex. These are not people who believe in multiculturalism, these are people who literally stop huge expeditionary voyages because they don't care what else is out there.

Part of the reasons they stop the voyages during the Ming Dynasty is that sailors were jumping ship, and that makes them look bad. China is supposed to be the best country on the planet, no one is supposed to want to leave.

This attitude continues on during the Qing dynasty, when generally, the official policy towards immigrants is they don't exist, because no one is supposed to want to leave.

As for as general social hierarchy, these are people who treat merchants like crap, just because they're merchants. There were laws forbidding merchants from wearing silk (though some of them could obviously afford it) and laws forbidding the sons of merchants from taking the civil service exam. The lack of ability to sit for the exam doesn't sound like a big deal until you remember that, essentially, the only way to enter the upper/ruling class is to sit for the civil service exam and get a good job that pays in land.

Verdict: Quite possibly going to be really, really, big... jerks about it. The Tang dynasty was actually a height of multiculturalism, but the dynastic Chinese take a huge slide towards cultural superiority complex that doesn't get better until literally it's impossible to believe i.e. they've lost the Opium Wars and can barely hold on to their own government.

India (which in this case, includes Pakistan and Kashmir)

For Hindus, I'd imagine this would be problematic, as their whole religion is based on castes. Given that it's still a problem in modern India and in Indian communities overseas to marry outside your caste, it's hardly impossible that there would be people who were very committed to keeping their blood pure... since, in a way that is what the Muggle society at large already does. You marry within your caste and that's just how it is.

Verdict: For Hindus, it's an easy step to take, if the author wants.

As for Muslims... I don't know enough about traditional social hierarchy to say.

Ditto Sikhs.

Verdict: not enough information.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    New discussion topic: do you feel that in Asia, people would be more or less rigid about keeping wizarding blood 'pure'?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!