Thread: When Did Voldemort Decide?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!

When Did Voldemort Decide?

So despite all those threads and questions a few months ago, I'm still really confused about the whole prophecy thing. On Lily's Lexicon page, it says this:

Quoted from the Lexicon:
    The prophecy foretold the birth of a boy "with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord" at the end of July, so as soon as Lily became pregnant the Potters went into hiding (OBT/CH). Voldemort waited to see what children were born, and began planning the murder of the Potter family (OP37, HBP25).
    Is it an established canon fact that Voldemort waited to see what babies were born before he chose who to target? I haven't got my books with me so I can't check those chapters. If it's a fact then it'll iron out some problems I've been having, but it will mean I have to re-write pretty much all of my fic (it's only two chapters so far, so it's not a huge deal).

What do people think?

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Right, from what we know of what Dumbledore told Harry, Voldemort was warned about the Prophecy and he did choose which baby was most likely to be the threat. Snape warned Dumbledore that the target was the Potter's child - so Harry must have been born by then.

Dumbledore replies (in DH) 'The Prophecy spoke only of a child, not the name' (or words to that effect), but Snape says that Voldemort had fixed on Harry. Quite why, we don;'t know, because the Longbottoms had also thrice defied him. My guess is that he probably meant to kill both, unless he knew for sure that Neville wouldn't be able to harm him.

Having said that, it was Voldemort's actions that fulfilled the rest of the Prophecy ...

The thing is, we don't know exactly when the Prophecy was made. JKR said in an interview that they went into hiding when Lily discovered she was pregnant, but then other things (like the Order photo where she's clearly not pregnant) and the fact that they weren't properly hidden by the Fidelius Charm until a week before they died, hint that she probably didn't think up her timeline properly.

The Fidelius Charm being cast a week before also suggests that Voldemort didn't decide which child was the greater threat until that late, because surely they only cast the charm when they knew they were the actual ones at risk and that Voldy was def going to attack.

I think it's muddled to such an extent that you could write what you need to.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird