Thread: Headquarters Protection

Hybrid View

Lovemagic

Headquarters Protection

Hello, all. More questions.

We know that the Burrow has lots of magical enchantments on it. So does Number 12, Grimmauld Place. So if it's heavily protected, why are Fred and George able to apparate inside of the house? They first apparated on Ron's knees, if I remember correctly. Were other Order members able to apparate inside the place, too? Why is that?

And if you can apparate inside Grimmauld Place, can the same be done for the Burrow? Or do they have different enchantments on them?

Hayden

Hermy101
    That is an interesting thought. I guess it's because they were aleady inside the house, they could Apparate to other parts of the house while they were still inside? If you remember, it was Sirius's dad who put the enchantments on number twelve, Grimmauld Place, and that was a while before the Order began using it as headquarters. Perhaps the spells weakened with time? Also, when J. K. Rowling was writing the books, she probably broke a few of her own magical laws so it went well with how she wanted the books to turn out.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemagic
    Hello, all. More questions.

We know that the Burrow has lots of magical enchantments on it. So does Number 12, Grimmauld Place. So if it's heavily protected, why are Fred and George able to apparate inside of the house? They first apparated on Ron's knees, if I remember correctly. Were other Order members able to apparate inside the place, too? Why is that?

And if you can apparate inside Grimmauld Place, can the same be done for the Burrow? Or do they have different enchantments on them?

Hayden
    Either the anti-Diapparation spells only forbid Apparation into or out of the Headquarters while still allowing Apparation within the building, or Rowling was just being inconsistent. I think the latter is quite likely.

Tim the Enchanter

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    I don't think there were anti-Apparation measures on the Black house (at least not during OotP); I think the major protection was the Fidelius Charm, which makes it so that those who don't know where it is can't find it unless brought there / told about it by the / a Secret Keeper. So you can Apparate into / within it as much as you want if you know where it is, but the Fidelius Charm prevents anyone else from being able to Apparate in. Though perhaps after Sirius' death an anti-Apparation charm was put on the inside of the house, since in DH the Trio are always Apparating onto the top step, which doesn't seem very logical.

As for the Burrow, I think it was explicitly said that anti-Apparation charms were put on the house and garden, but that was only in DH to protect Harry. Perhaps in HBP too? *can't remember*. Anyway, it's all a bit murky; I'm inclined to believe that it was mostly just JKR's all-powerful authorial privilege.

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    I think the security measures on Grimmauld Place were simply designed with the ability to apparate within the house, I don't think that it indicates that the house is less secure.

The Burrow certainly increased its security for Harry's sake, but it is mentioned in GoF that Percy apparated downstairs for breakfast to show off that he passed the test.

Please read & review my new story! Banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny