Thread: Breakout from Azkaban

vatsan17

Breakout from Azkaban

We know that after the second war, Dementors were removed from Azkaban by Kingsley. So I am assuming Azkaban would be guarded by some Aurors.

Will it be possible for a captured Death Eater to escape from Azkaban now?

How is it that many Death Eaters still remained sane after spending many years in Azkaban? I am talking about Bellatrix and others who were captured after the first war.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by vatsan17
    We know that after the second war, Dementors were removed from Azkaban by Kingsley. So I am assuming Azkaban would be guarded by some Aurors.

How is it that many Death Eaters still remained sane after spending many years in Azkaban? I am talking about Bellatrix and others who were captured after the first war.
    It's probably easier to breakout of Azkaban, without the Dememtors guarding it. One of the reasons why it was such a successful prison was because the Dementors tormented the inmates so much they were imprisoned inside their own heads, and could not concentrate on escape plans. Without this factor, prisoners will have an easier time trying to get out.

The sanity of Bellatrix Lestrange is debatable.

Tim the Enchanter

Mozarts Confutatis
    Quote Originally Posted by vatsan17

I think it'd be possible. Much harder now that there are Aurors guarding the Prison, rather than eyeless Dementors. Because now, the Aurors can easily check who is coming and going much more thoroughly than Dementors ever could. Plus, an Auror is unlikely to be fooled by an Animagus.

As for Sanity, I doubt any of them really kept it. Bellatrix was insane to begin with, and Azkaban can't have done wonders for her temperament. No doubt, it made her worse, but I think the DE's were so confident that they had done the right thing that it served as a kind of mental barrier against the long-term mental effects of the Dementors.

I do hope that helps you!

vatsan17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozarts Confutatis
    I think it'd be possible. Much harder now that there are Aurors guarding the Prison, rather than eyeless Dementors. Because now, the Aurors can easily check who is coming and going much more thoroughly than Dementors ever could. Plus, an Auror is unlikely to be fooled by an Animagus.

As for Sanity, I doubt any of them really kept it. Bellatrix was insane to begin with, and Azkaban can't have done wonders for her temperament. No doubt, it made her worse, but I think the DE's were so confident that they had done the right thing that it served as a kind of mental barrier against the long-term mental effects of the Dementors.

I do hope that helps you!
    Yes it does. Since the Dementors are not there the DE's in Azkaban are probably still sane. So won't it be easy for an accomplished Death Eater to escape from a prison guarded only by Aurors?

Mozarts Confutatis
    Not if the Death Eater's don't have a wand. They can be as clever as they like, but without a wand, there is no way they'd get out.

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    I don't think that Azkaban is guarded by Aurors. I would assume that there is a whole new training program for Azkaban guards totally separate from Aurors.

Some parts of Auror training like "Concealment and Disguise" and "Stealth and Tracking" aren't really necessary for guards.

And guards would need to know the details of magical enchantments placed on the building.

Please read & review my new story! Banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny

TheCursedQuill
    I like to think of Aurors as being leveled. Like they all go through mandatory training such as, Disguise and Concealment, but some people are higher up with more difficult jobs than others.

Guarding Azkaban would just be one of the sects that is within the Auror department. I do agree that they would need some different training to deal that though, but they would have to go through the normal auror stuff as well. That's just how I see it as.

Would it be easier for prisoners to get out? I'm not entirely sure. Dementors did keep everyone trapped in their own mind as Tim said, and that's why they were so good. But thinking about Muggle prisons, Police have a pretty good time keeping everyone in and that's without magic. Maybe they'd put up new enchantments around the island to make sure no one would get it.

As for the sanity of prisoners... well I think everyone goes insane with the Dementors.

but I think the DE's were so confident that they had done the right thing that it served as a kind of mental barrier against the long-term mental effects of the Dementors.
    I agree with this. Sirius said that he stayed sane because he knew he was innocent. All of the DE's no doubt thought they were doing the right thing and so could stay sane. Others however, did suffer quite badly, but majority I think got through with minor tremors.

-Sarah

Jasmine Mist..x
    Hmm i think its definatly possible seeing as if people (well person...) can escape from dementors then that makes it high possible that they could escape from Aurors. Hopefully there would be a whole new system making the security even tighter. However the prisoners would not go sane (at least not for ages) leaving more time for escape plans to be made and modified. I pity the aurors who would have to guard

And i don't think Bellatrix can be classed that sane.

sorrow_of_severus
    originally posted by vatsan17

As previous posters have alluded to but not come right out and said, it was possible to escape from Azkaban before. Granted, it was practically impossible to break out, but Sirius and Barty Crouch, Jr., did manage to do so. In the former case, it require a very advanced magical skill, and in the latter case it required outside help. As Mozarts Confutatis points out, neither one of these breakouts would have been possible if Dementors had been guarding the prison.

If Aurors had been guarding Azkaban, prisoners obviously wouldn't be trapped in their own minds. Thus, they'd be much more likely to be plotting escape. In addition, Aurors are also unlike Dementors in that they can be overpowered by a multitude of spells, some of them quite simple, in the case that a Death Eater ever got his or her hands on a wand.

I do agree with The Cursed Quill's assertion that Azkaban post-DH would probably be guarded with spells in addition to people, whether they be Aurors or mere prison guards. So ultimately, I'm not sure whether Azkaban would be easier or harder to break out of without Dementors. It might be about as difficult to escape from, just for different reasons.

About the Auror vs. prison guard debate, I think Azkaban would have Aurors guarding it. After two incredibly brutal wars with Death Eaters in half a century, I think that the wizarding world would want their "worst of the worst" (Death Eaters) guarded by "the best of the best (Aurors). I can't think of anything most British wizard and witches would be more logically afraid of at the close of the 20th century and the dawn of the 21st than DE's.

originally posted by The Cursed Quill
    I like to think of Aurors as being leveled. Like they all go through mandatory training such as, Disguise and Concealment, but some people are higher up with more difficult jobs than others.
    This sounds likely to me. Perhaps one of the first jobs an Auror might have after training would be guarding Azkaban. After the Auror gains more experience, then s/he would get to move onto more exciting tasks.