Thread: Flying & Quidditch

Hybrid View

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron

Flying & Quidditch

If a Quidditch captain spotted a student who demonstrated superb flying skills, where might said captain dream of placing that student on his team? I know everyone on the team has to be able to fly well, but where would a good captain place his best flyers?

Lori
    Lovely banner by Minna

A.H.
    Either a Seeker or Chaser, I'd imagine. Beaters have to have flying skills, but more so skills in beating the crap out of people. Keepers only stay one stretch of air, and in my head, their most needed skill wouldn't be flying so much as having the ability to fly quickly. Seekers do need to fly well above all, but for the majority of the game they're un-bothered by the rest of the opposing team and therefore complex maneuvers aren't top priority.

And therefore it is the Chaser whose skills in flying is most important. They're darting all about the field the entire game, dodging the other Chasers and Beaters, performing cool-sounding ziggy-zaggy moves, etc. etc..

Disclaimer: I don't even know buttocks from elbows when it comes to Muggle sports. Take any sporty opinion from with a mound of salt.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Despite Ari's disclaimer , I think she's right.

Harry picks Jimmy Peakes because he aims well, and picks Dean (when Katie is injured) because he 'outflew' Seamus in the trials. On the whole I'd go for Chaser. Seekers have different flying skills. They're nimble, observant and can swoop quickly, but a Chaser has to be in the match the whole time, be physically strong enough to ward off the fouls, and fly themselves out of trouble.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Thanks to both of you. Shockingly, that was what I thought, but I can't trust my own judgement when it comes to sports (muggle or wizarding). A Chaser it is!
    Lovely banner by Minna