Thread: Wild Ford Anglia

Hybrid View

Aimay

Wild Ford Anglia

I'm writing a fic and one of my characters is saved by the old Ford Anglia... This is about half a year after the prologue[sp?].

I'm just wondering what would have happened to the old car...?

I have one of my characters brushing off dirt to see the faded turqouise colour, would the car be that dirty?

How damaged would it be?

Would things be breeding in the car? [a cute little Bowtruckle family or something more sinister?]

If this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry, if not, Yey!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimay
    I'm writing a fic and one of my characters is saved by the old Ford Anglia... This is about half a year after the prologue[sp?].

I'm just wondering what would have happened to the old car...?

I have one of my characters brushing off dirt to see the faded turqouise colour, would the car be that dirty?

How damaged would it be?

Would things be breeding in the car? [a cute little Bowtruckle family or something more sinister?]

If this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry, if not, Yey!
    There is no prologue in the Harry Potter series. I assume you mean the Epilogue (Nineteen Years Later)?

I think that after more than two decades of rampaging through the forest, the Anglia would probably be rust-coloured, with very little of the turquoise paint left.

For that matter, the tyres would probably be cracked and flattened, and I doubt it would even be running any more. With no oil changes, coolant or petrol refills, spare parts, and other tune-ups, the Anglia would have probably broken down and died at some point. Yes, it is a magic car, but it still ran on an engine, and engines need to be kept in good shape.

So by the time of the Epilogue, the car would be dead, rusted, and probably have plants growing over it or inside it. And yes, you might find some animals living inside, magical or mundane.

But I doubt you'd find Bowtruckles. They're supposed to live in trees that bear good wand wood.

Tim the Enchanter

Aimay
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    There is no prologue in the Harry Potter series. I assume you mean the Epilogue (Nineteen Years Later)?

I think that after more than two decades of rampaging through the forest, the Anglia would probably be rust-coloured, with very little of the turquoise paint left.

For that matter, the tyres would probably be cracked and flattened, and I doubt it would even be running any more. With no oil changes, coolant or petrol refills, spare parts, and other tune-ups, the Anglia would have probably broken down and died at some point. Yes, it is a magic car, but it still ran on an engine, and engines need to be kept in good shape.

So by the time of the Epilogue, the car would be dead, rusted, and probably have plants growing over it or inside it. And yes, you might find some animals living inside, magical or mundane.

But I doubt you'd find Bowtruckles. They're supposed to live in trees that bear good wand wood.

Tim the Enchanter
    Prologue... Yeah, that's the one. lol

It flew from London to Scotland, was hit by a massive tree several times and then spent the rest of the same year racing through the forest...
    It would have run out of petrol before it could even get near Scotland and I'm sure the Willow would have bashed the car up good.

So, I believe the car could still be running. I think Arthur could have done some sort of spell to keep it in nicer condition maybe...

And the Bowtruckles are just a random thought, that's why they were in brackets. Reality would maybe have..... Puffskeins[sp?] or whatever in there.

I do agree with the rust colour...

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    TBH, I think you could get away with the car still running, even though it's mechanically inconceivable. You'd have to paint it as having been imbued with so much magic as to be semi-sentient; more animal than machine. I'd definitely make an effort to make it seem old, though: it wouldn't be able to go as fast and would probably make all kinds of noises - so sneak attacks and high-speed chases are out.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it'll have been..er..25 years? since it saved Ron and Harry from the Acromantulas, presumably with no human contact since. And as I recall, it wasn't too happy to save the boys in the first place; it did it more out of some sense of loyalty and obligation - a final favor. So the car probably wouldn't be too pleased to bump into some students or whoever, and would definitely not be willing to go on a rescue mission.

You're just not going to have the same car that we saw in CoS; not that long after the fact. You could play up the mechanical side, but then, as Tim said, it would certainly have broken down (perhaps your characters get lost in the Forest and use it as a shelter) or you could have play up the animal side, in which case it would be old, feeble, and belligerent (your characters might be able to hitch a ride with it for a bit, but the car would be doing everything possible to knock them off). It depends on what your plot is. If you're dead-set on your characters being rescued in the Forest, I think your best bet might be a sympathetic centaur - or maybe just good ol' Hagrid. Or even Grawp! I wonder what he's up to by the epilogue?

Aimay
    Quote Originally Posted by Mina
    TBH, I think you could get away with the car still running, even though it's mechanically inconceivable. You'd have to paint it as having been imbued with so much magic as to be semi-sentient; more animal than machine. I'd definitely make an effort to make it seem old, though: it wouldn't be able to go as fast and would probably make all kinds of noises - so sneak attacks and high-speed chases are out.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it'll have been..er..25 years? since it saved Ron and Harry from the Acromantulas, presumably with no human contact since. And as I recall, it wasn't too happy to save the boys in the first place; it did it more out of some sense of loyalty and obligation - a final favor. So the car probably wouldn't be too pleased to bump into some students or whoever, and would definitely not be willing to go on a rescue mission.

You're just not going to have the same car that we saw in CoS; not that long after the fact. You could play up the mechanical side, but then, as Tim said, it would certainly have broken down (perhaps your characters get lost in the Forest and use it as a shelter) or you could have play up the animal side, in which case it would be old, feeble, and belligerent (your characters might be able to hitch a ride with it for a bit, but the car would be doing everything possible to knock them off). It depends on what your plot is. If you're dead-set on your characters being rescued in the Forest, I think your best bet might be a sympathetic centaur - or maybe just good ol' Hagrid. Or even Grawp! I wonder what he's up to by the epilogue?
    Wasn't the car described as it's wipers wagging like a dog greeting it's owner?? So I guess it has a personality. lol

Do you really think Hagrid would be up to running around with his crossbow at his age? And as for Grawp... I don't know but it might work.

I only really want the car to do a kind of small rescue mission... I don't see Hagrid being able to fight off Fenrir [dont ask lol] or Grawp actually bothering.
    Do you think it's plausable that the car could at least make a rickety trip out of the forest and back in?