Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes to SPEW Rules

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen
    Do you know that before most of you joined, the application requirement was eight reviews? xD But perhaps I'll change the post about applying so it says that if you don't have a wide range of reviews I might ask for more.
    Wow, I was thinking I did eight reviews so I'm pleased you cleared that one up for me, LOL. And since the point of eight reviews was to show the range of stories, etc., you could review, and your ability to both give praise and concrit, raising the review requirement to five is a good idea, imo.

On the 50 posts in the hospital wing, I agree with changing this to posts anywhere. I don't think it matters where you're posting, because I can't see somebody leaving 50 completely unhelpful posts. I think every forum counts, I really do. And if somebody's applying for SPEW, I believe they've generally put some thought into their posts elsewhere, whether it's discussion in the CR, or critique of a banner. In the least, 50 posts shows their participation in general around the boards, and if their reviews are good, then chances are their 50 posts are too.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    With SPEW being seen as elite - I totally get that. That's why I was so scared of applying. I mean, I didn't think my reviews were all that fabulous. But I wanted to learn how to improve them, and develop and hone my reviewing skills. Which is why I eventually applied. And I'm still a bit amazed I was accepted >.>
    I totally agree with this. It tooks me months to pluck up the courage to send a PM to Jenna, and then it took me ages to choose which reviews to send. To me, as a member of SPEW, I now see SPEW on no higher level than the rest of the forums -- it's just a group where we all have a common interest/goal, really -- but when I was plucking up the courage to apply, all the reviews I read by SPEWers seemed amazingly good compared to my own. But looking back I realise that didn't really matter, because by applying for SPEW I showed my willingness to improve my reviews, and my reviews do improve with every one posted, I believe.

Linking to this is the subject of referees. I think I would've been reluctant to ask anyone to be my referee should I get rejected, which is kinda silly, but there we go. If I'd needed a referee however, I would've been a lot more comfortable asking somebody I knew than somebody in SPEW, because I'm not sure I'd ever spoke to anybody in SPEW before I joined. I think one referee should be a SPEW member, I'm not sure why I think that I just do. However the other two would be beneficial if they vouched for somebody's commitment to another part of the forums, such as the SBBC or TTB, or their enthusiasm in partaking in discussion-type activities within their house, etc. I'm not sure everybody needs referees, though, because if somebody's reviews are good and they have fifty+ posts, to me that says a lot already. Although, if somebody does participate a lot around the boards, fifty posts isn't really that many, so a raise to maybe seventy-five or a hundred could be helpful, and referees asked for post counts below that.

Or even instead of having a 5th review, you could review a review. It could be a review left on one of your stories, or even a SPEW review left on someone else's. You could analyse the things they mentioned, their tone, what concrit they left, how helpful it was, what they could have emphasised on more. Yes? No?
    And I like this idea, although maybe in addition to the fifth review, because when you think about it, five reviews isn't really that much to ask. I did something similar to this for one of my own reviews in Bine's reviewing class a few terms ago, and it was a really helpful exercise, because it made me see how I'd improved since I'd written said review, and made me feel a little more confident. Reviewing somebody elses review would work in a similar fashion, and it would emphasise the fact that you have the ability to write a good review alongside the ones Jen would be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Shar
    I feel that from that stage, my reviews have come a long way. SPEW inspires me to get better, and even today, above all else, I learn each time I review.
    Aw, I really like your phrasing. I think that sums up SPEW well, from the perspective of the author you're reviewing and you as the reviewer.

And I haven't written this very chronologically, more as thoughts come to me, so I hope you follow it all right >.> And sorry for the ridiculously long post.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by She Whose Quill is Curs-ed
    The 50 posts on the boards seems too lenient. I think the point of having them on the Hospital Wing was to show that they could be helpful and able to critique things, as well as to show being active. But if someone were to have even 200 posts in their tower, I don't see how that makes them active or helpful. I'm not saying to keep it JUST to the Hospital Wing, but I think we should have our limits.
    I'm just going to interject here to remind you all that posts in common rooms, the Room of Requirement, Beta Forums, Ministry of Magic, BA, and, I believe, Dean's Corner, as well, do not accumulate post counts. Worrying about someone racking up post counts or someone who doesn't do anything but jabber and spam (really, are there even people here that do that?) is a non-issue.

Also, I agree that maybe 100 posts isn't too much to ask. I got to 100 posts in less than two months, and in those two months, I don't think I was even remotely prepared for SPEW anyway. Usually, by the time someone gets the courage to apply, they're ready to join at that point. Just sayin'.

/lecture
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

Well, I don't mean that it's elite in the case that anyone is better than anyone else, but I think it requires a skill of thought and structure, or at least that's what I have learned here . You're right about it being mainly about reviews, I really can't see how the Hospital Wing thing helped me, when I think about it now. Personally, I found it rather difficult to get in, but now, I see that as a good thing because I tried to shape my weaknesses, and that fiorced me to do just that. I vote you stick to the reviews, but do you try to see why I say 'prestige' here in that you don't do length but quality? Poor word choice, sorry,

jenny b
    Jeez, guys, I was trying to make the application simpler as opposed to more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    I'm just going to interject here to remind you all that posts in common rooms, the Room of Requirement, Beta Forums, Ministry of Magic, BA, and, I believe, Dean's Corner, as well, do not accumulate post counts.
    I was just about to pop in and say that.

How about this. I make it 75 or 100 posts required on the boards. If you do not have those posts, then you still need three (or maybe only two) recommendations, and at least one of those must be a SPEWer.

The idea of having someone recommend you regardless is an alright idea, but I don't want to make the application process too complicated, and like Spire said, it might discourage people from applying if they have to let everyone know. I mean, back when I applied I didn't tell a single soul until I got accepted. >.>

And I will change it to five reviews, and emphasise that I want a variety of reviews: some critical, some not, different lengths, different genres, etc.

I think this incorporates enough of your suggestions to be fair. So my questions are: 75 or 100 posts? And does anyone still disagree with this?

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen O' SPEW
    How about this. I make it 75 or 100 posts required on the boards. If you do not have those posts, then you still need three (or maybe only two) recommendations, and at least one of those must be a SPEWer.

The idea of having someone recommend you regardless is an alright idea, but I don't want to make the application process too complicated, and like Spire said, it might discourage people from applying if they have to let everyone know. I mean, back when I applied I didn't tell a single soul until I got accepted. >.>

And I will change it to five reviews, and emphasise that I want a variety of reviews: some critical, some not, different lengths, different genres, etc.

I think this incorporates enough of your suggestions to be fair. So my questions are: 75 or 100 posts? And does anyone still disagree with this?
    I think I agree 110% with this outline. I vote for 100 posts minimum, since there are already quality control methods already built into the post count, anyway.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    I like and agree with the changes, and I think 75 posts.

Hermoine Jean Granger
    I agree with upping the post count requirement - 75 posts as the base requirement seems okay to me. Disagree with the mandatory recommendation rule, however, for all the reasons Spire gave. As she said, if somebody's posts are above the requirement, and their reviews are okay, it does kind of indicate that they're at least active to a certain extent.

Win.

Mmm, I'm not planning to implement the mandatory recommendation. They'll only if their post count is below the set number, like it is now. Just in case you thought I was going to change it. I'm not. >.> --Jen

Thanks for the clarification, dear. ♥

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

I like everything that you're changing, and I think that 75 posts is a good idea.
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

Amortentia x
    Yes, the new changes sound great : )

I'm thinking... 75 posts?

--Emma

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!
    Sounds good to me.

I vote for 75 posts.

~Russia xxxxx
    I'm dreaming the hardest.

Thank you Nadia/majestic_ginny! <3
    Being FEARLESS isn't about not having fears, it's about living in spite of them.