Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes to SPEW Rules

jenny b

Changes to SPEW Rules

I've been giving this a bit of thought recently, and I think it's time to change a few of our rules for SPEW applicants.

The fifty posts in the Hospital Wing rule seems a bit outdated to me, and I'm considering changing it to either 50 or 75 posts on the boards altogether. Originally, the rule was in place to make sure that the applicants were involved with other sections of the boards, but since there are so many other forums it seems a bit silly to keep it with just posts in the Hospital Wing.

Also, I think I'd like to raise the 4 review application to 5, just because it will help to show a little more variety - it's difficult to get an idea of a reviewer's style sometimes when two application reviews are for the same fic.

So those are my two suggestions. I would put it to a poll, but there's two questions (and I'm lazy, tbh). So please post in this thread to tell me what you think of these two proposals. I want it to be a fair decision, so at least the majority of SPEW has to agree.

And I'm going to make this an open thread about rule changes - if you have any issues with the current rules or have found something that you think should be changed, then bring it up here and we'll discuss it. I won't bite you.

ahattab33
    I agree with the 50 posts to the Hospital Wing, but I'd also like to make a suggestion: perhaps we can have recommendations for everyone, regardless? Not necessarily even three, or even from members in SPEW, but from people who could attest to both their presence on the boards and their reviews. For example, for me it could have been Rachel from SBBC where I'm also active, someone who I've left a review for, and maybe someone from SPEW who thinks I would be good contributing member to SPEW.

I also think the upping the requirement to 5 reviews is completely reasonable. Hopefully those joining SPEW have sufficient reviews to chose from, and it's simply a matter of linking to those reviews. And, it's really your call: if you don't feel you are getting enough of a reviewer's style from four, then it makes sense and is reasonable to see if getting another one helps.

My two cents!

~Amanda

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    I think both rule changes proposed are brilliant. I also agree entirely with Amanda's suggestion. Sometimes, chasing down members of SPEW (especially if you're relatively new and you don't know them well enough to PM a random person. For all you know, that person might not know who you are. I'd think that recommendations from mods and tenured members of the board would be good.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Hermoine Jean Granger
    I agree with both changes completely, as well as with Amanda's suggestion. I don't have anything to add right now, but I might once I think it over some more. =)

Amortentia x
    I definitely agree with the change in rules about the post count in the Hospital Wing (possibly because I didn't have them? >.>) Not that I had any issue asking three SPEW members to vouch for me, because it's a good idea to be vouched for, but it was just lucky that I knew three SPEW-ers; if I didn't, I would have been very reluctant to PM people I didn't know. I like Amanda's suggestion

And regarding the five reviews rather than four - that is wholly up to you. If you think it would make a difference, then go for it

/my two knuts.

(though seeing as I'm only just joined, it's a bit rich of me to suggest any changes.)

--Emma

TheCursedQuill
    I don't entirely agree to the changes. They're good, but I'd like to suggests a few tweeeeaks.

The 50 posts on the boards seems too lenient. I think the point of having them on the Hospital Wing was to show that they could be helpful and able to critique things, as well as to show being active. But if someone were to have even 200 posts in their tower, I don't see how that makes them active or helpful. I'm not saying to keep it JUST to the Hospital Wing, but I think we should have our limits.

As for the review requirements being upped to five, maybe instead we could keep it to four but restrict the four in some way. Like have four reviews for four DIFFERENT stories by four DIFFERENT authors, or even four DIFFERENT categories. That way you get a feel for everything. But it's entirely up to you, and if someone wants to be in SPEW then an extra review shouldn't kill them.. after all we have to write three every month!

I really like Amanda's idea, as long as the people can be accredited, like a MOD or someone active with other groups on the boards.

That's really I have to say on this matter I suppose my opinion doesn't fully count though as I didn't have to go through any of this when I joined SPEW! Thank goodness for the recruitment

-Sarah

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

Playing Devil's Advocate with Sarah. I think it's too lenient. Really, if you want thsi to be that important forum, there needs top be standards, so that you show that it isn't too easy. I believe that there needs to be standards of some 'higher' quality, or else you get these really weak reviews if you flood open the doors. 50 posts anywhere technically means you can post in the vaguest forums and not show the quality of the group. I'd hate to bring this up, but there's no other way to say it, I had to go through a few times to even try to step in here and get rejections. Rejections taught me how to change and alter, and I needed that Jen. The Hospital Wing, as Sarah says, teaches you, on some level, to do critique and not just 'hey, my favourite colour's pink.' It sharpens your skills and sets a goal. If you just want members that's fine, but I'm asking you, for the prestige that I hold SPEW, not to flood the doors because it might weaken the level you hold us at.

However, I agree with the review thing. Lower it.

Also, and I'd just like to point this out, the reccommendations shouldn't just come from random people asking. It shouldn't be simply friends saying that they'd let others in, especially if they haven't viewed the work. I'm not saying make it impossible, because this is MNFF, not Scholastic, but still, I'd rather we hold value here.

But that's my opinion. You're the moderator. Do what you do.

jenny b
    So, Sarah and Jen, what do you propose we do with the 50 posts instead? It's going to be difficult (and confusing) to say, 'you need to have 50 posts in the Hospital Wing or Three Broomsticks or the SBBC' or something like that. It really needs to be one forum or all of them. Do you think it should be a higher number, then? Perhaps 100 posts on the boards?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah
    I think the point of having them on the Hospital Wing was to show that they could be helpful and able to critique things, as well as to show being active.
    Yes, you're right. But you need to consider that this rule was put into place years ago, when the Hospital Wing was a LOT more active than it is now. For newer members, they're probably more likely to start posting in the Three Broomsticks or something, which I believe is just as helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen
    Really, if you want thsi to be that important forum, there needs top be standards, so that you show that it isn't too easy.
    This is the attitude I've been trying to change for the past six months. Guys, SPEW is NOT an elite group. We are not the most important forum on the boards, so if you think that, then you need to get off your high horse. Yes, to be accepted to SPEW you need reviews of a good quality. But more than that, you need to show that you're keen to improve them and to make them the best they can be.

And also, I don't think that getting rid of the Hospital Wing posts will "flood the doors". You are accepted into SPEW on how good your reviews are and that's about it. You have to meet the other requirements, obviously, but it all comes down to reviews in the end. And because I'm tweaking the other requirements slightly does not mean my standards will lower. I just want to make SPEW more accessible to those who aren't very active in the Hospital Wing, because like I said, it's not the huge forum it used to be.

Can you guys also elaborate on what you mean by "accredited" people doing the recommendations? Do you mean just mods, or what? Because I don't really want to be an authority on who and who isn't "accredited" on MNFF.

I do like your suggestion about limiting the reviews, Sarah - but I still would rather it be five. Do you know that before most of you joined, the application requirement was eight reviews? xD But perhaps I'll change the post about applying so it says that if you don't have a wide range of reviews I might ask for more. And that way I can be sure they've got more than four good reviews.

Amortentia x
    The way I see the 50 post in the Hospital Wing requirement, it's just to show that you are active and helpful and able to critique other people, and while a handy addition to have to your reviews, it's not entirely necessary. I mean, I've posted in the Hospital Wing about twenty to thirty times, but not the full fifty. I'd still consider myself fair helpful, though, and not just flitting around posting in babbles and stuff. And I wasn't going to go into a frenzy of posting just to hit the 50 mark for SPEW, you know, which isn't what you want either; people posting just to be accepted, rather than posting because they want to help or odder advice. Perhaps you could ask for, say, 10 links to your most helpful posts in the Hospital Wing, if you'd like to see some active nature outside of reviews?

With SPEW being seen as elite - I totally get that. That's why I was so scared of applying. I mean, I didn't think my reviews were all that fabulous. But I wanted to learn how to improve them, and develop and hone my reviewing skills. Which is why I eventually applied. And I'm still a bit amazed I was accepted >.>

While I like the idea of being recommended, could you perhaps do it like you do a referee on your CV? Like, if you're in the SBBC, you could get Natalie or Julia to vouch for you. Someone who has also accepted/worked with you, and at least knows your abilities, rather than a random mod or something who mightn't know you at all. I'm not sure. Something like that? Maybe if you participated in a QWC, you could get your Captain to vouch for you.

Or even instead of having a 5th review, you could review a review. It could be a review left on one of your stories, or even a SPEW review left on someone else's. You could analyse the things they mentioned, their tone, what concrit they left, how helpful it was, what they could have emphasised on more. Yes? No?

Just some suggestions! I'm sort of babbling >.>

--Emma

Hermoine Jean Granger
    While I like the idea of being recommended, could you perhaps do it like you do a referee on your CV? Like, if you're in the SBBC, you could get Natalie or Julia to vouch for you. Someone who has also accepted/worked with you, and at least knows your abilities, rather than a random mod or something who mightn't know you at all. I'm not sure. Something like that? Maybe if you participated in a QWC, you could get your Captain to vouch for you.
    I love this idea. Also, other suggestions for people who can refer/vouch: people you've worked with in inter-house challenges(like the new QWC match that's going to happen, and the challenges in the Great Hall), or even the various challenges in your house(I don't know much about the other houses, but I do know that 'Claw has a lot of these going on at the moment); your beta who you've worked with for quite some time; your gauntlet guide; people you've worked with in the BA(or the BA mods themselves) etc.

But more than that, you need to show that you're keen to improve them and to make them the best they can be.
    I think I totally agree with Jennifer on this statement she made. I dissected one of the reviews I had in my application last month. I feel that from that stage, my reviews have come a long way. SPEW inspires me to get better, and even today, above all else, I learn each time I review.