Thread: Voldemort and the Unforgivables

Hybrid View

Lovemagic

Voldemort and the Unforgivables

Kay, I've got some questions. This is kind of relates to the other thread, Torture Curses, but it's more about Voldemort...but I'm just going to lead it into this...

I asked if the Cruciatus Curse is physical or mental; I think it's all in the head--

Quote Originally Posted by msk8
    I think the victim feels what seems to be physical pain, but is really in his/her head.
    As msk8 put it.

Now, Voldemort's a strong Legilimens and Occlumens. Wouldn't he be able to block out the Imperius? See, all of the Unforgivables mess with the mind. Imperius controls, Cruciatus tortures, and Avada Kedavra shuts off all body functions, I think...?

Is that the way it would work? And if so, then wouldn't he be able to resist Imperius? Even from Dumbledore? I don't know if there's anything in the books about his mental strength, just that he can control people and their minds, but not anything that he can do for himself. As far as I can recall, haha.

And the Cruciatus? Would that hurt him a lot?

Hayden

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemagic
    Is that the way it would work? And if so, then wouldn't he be able to resist Imperius? Even from Dumbledore? I don't know if there's anything in the books about his mental strength, just that he can control people and their minds, but not anything that he can do for himself. As far as I can recall, haha.

And the Cruciatus? Would that hurt him a lot?

Hayden
    I don't imagine Dumbledore would Imperiuse Volders, but it is possible for a strong-willed individual to resist the Imperius Curse. Voldemort was a pretty determined person, and being such a good Legilimens and Occlumens, I think he would be able to fight the Imperius.

The Cruciatus just hurts, period. It's supposed to inflict the maximum amount of pain that can possibly be felt, so yes, I believe even Voldemort won't be immune to it.

Tim the Enchanter

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I imagine that yes, he would be able to resist the imperious curse. He can cast Unforgivable Curses in a fast-paced duel, he duels McGonagall, Kingsley, and Slughorn all at once, he can match Dumbledore...(I imagine that the Unforgivable Curses are very hard to cast, and much more difficult to cast in the middle of a fight, such as the battle of Hogwarts. I think that if any Death Eater could cast them easily in a fight, there would have been many more than fifty dead at the end of DH. I think that in regular dueling, Death Eaters would probably use sectumsempra and the like more often than Unforgivable curses. (McGonagall had a gash on her cheek, and blood was supposed to be on the floor; if the Death Eaters used just the Cruciatus curse for pain, that couldn't have happened)) If he is this powerful of a wizard and as powerful an Occlumens as he seems (I say he's a powerful Occlumens because he's said to be a powerful Legilimens; I think the two would go hand in hand. Also, he can block Harry's erratic forays through dreams into his mind), he should be able to block Imperio.

I do not think he would be able to block Avada Kedavra or the Cruciatus curse. Avada Kedavra is unblockable; the fake Moody says that in GoF. Voldemort would be influenced by that same as any other person. (well, a Horcrux-less Voldemort would be influenced the same as any other person.) I imagine the Cruciatus Curse working differently than the Imperius Curse, if that makes any sense. The Imperius Curse takes control of the body and influences thought; I think the Cruciatus Curse does something differently, perhaps just influencing the nervous system. It does not directly get to the mind in the same way as the Imperious Curse, so it cannot be blocked in the same way.

I also imagine, for some reason, that Voldemort's splitting of his soul, (resulting in certain physical changes to his body) caused him an increased sensitivity to pain. If you bump a badly bruised knee it's going to hurt a lot more than if you bump an unbruised knee. I think that this is much the same with Voldemort. He's damaged his soul and mind, so his mind and soul are more sensetive, so he feels pain created in his mind more strongly. I don't know if that makes any sense. I think that Voldemort would be hurt much more than a mormal person by the Cruciatus Curse, but I also think that he would be better able to deal with the pain than a normal person, so he would probably be less likely to be incapacitated by it.

Megan
    Kinda really hiatus-y at present.
    And Julia, this avatar is really pretty. Je l'adore.

Lovemagic
    Voldie's soul is unstable, so I do think that his mind and soul would be more sensitive. Interesting.

As for the Imperius curse...Even if he's an Occlumens, I wonder if he's ever had the curse performed on himself...so it'll be a different experience...Or should Occlumency block just about all of the spell and make it easier for Voldie to fend off the rest of it?

Hayden

First Year Hufflepuff
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

Just a quick thought though, we saw Harry fight the Imperius curse in GoF, but he's rubbish at Occlumency. As Snape never tires of telling us, Harry can't close his mind down like that, yet he can resist the Imperius curse. So I don't know if Occlumency skills would help Voldemort there, but by being able to close off his mind he might not suffer from the Cruciatus curse so much.

Hannah

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I always thought that Harry's failure at occlumency was more due to his dislike of Snape and Snape's poor teaching methods than due to incapability to learn. I might be wrong.
    Kinda really hiatus-y at present.
    And Julia, this avatar is really pretty. Je l'adore.

A.H.
    That's interesting about the Cruciatus curse not actually affecting the body... it makes sense. If the curse is inflicting so much pain you would think that it would be doing damage that would last far after it's cast - but the pain goes away afterward, implying that there was never any real damage being caused in the first place.