Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July Activities 2010

Hermoine Jean Granger

July Activities 2010

More information on The Category Patrolling Project can be found here..

This month's featured category is "Dark/Angsty." Link to category.

A request: When you post the summary, could you please post it in italics instead of in quotes? The reason for the request is that when I try to copy/paste your posts to this thread (I basically click on the 'quote' button and take all the content), the summary doesn't show up as it is in quotes. The thing is, I then have to copy/paste individual summaries and match them up with the links and other information, which leaves a lot of space for error/mismatch of summaries. I'd be grateful if you post the summaries in italics instead, which will work easier for me. (And, if necessary, I'll add the quote tags when I repost the stories to the other thread.)

Post with these details, please:

PHP Code:
    [B]Name of the Story(with link):[/B
    [
    B]Author:[/B
    [
    B]Rating:[/B]
    [
    B]Word Count:[/B]
    [
    B]Warnings(if any):[/B]
    [
    B]Number of chapters(if chaptered. If it is a one-shotthis can be skipped):[/B
    [
    B]Last updated on(applicable only to WIPs):[/B]
    [
    B]Summary:[/B

jenny b

July Discussion: Reviewing Outside MNFF

For the discussion this month, I want you to do a SPEW review for something other than a fanfic. It can be for a book, a movie, even a play. The only conditions are that it's something you've read/seen recently, and that your review is SPEW-quality.

That was an easy discussion to set. Go crazy!

And if anyone reviews Eclipse I'll kick them out of SPEW. Only kidding. A little bit. >.>

jenny b

July Featured Author

Our featured author for Juy is Jess/ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor!

Her author’s page can be found here.

Remember:
    • You must review the featured author for it to count as your monthly activity requirement.
    • Post the link to your review here - you may also post it in the July review thread for credit as a review.
    • Questions in this thread are not part of the monthly requirement, but they are greatly encouraged. Also, they must have something to do with the subject of writing.

jenny b

July Drabble Challenge

Write a songfic that features a song by the Beatles.
    Because who doesn't like the Beatles?!

Rules/Guidelines:

• Drabble can be between 250-800 words.
    • Content should not be any higher than a 3rd-5th Years rating.
    • All content that would require a warning on the MNFF Archive should be labelled appropriately.
    • This thread is for responses only. If you have a question, PM me.
    • Responses must be posted by July 31st.
    • Please post using this format:
      Title:
      Word Count:
    • As with all activities within the SPEW forum, this challenge is open only to SPEW members.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Name of the Story: Order of Merlin
    Author: Electra Avalon
    Rating: 6th-7th Years
    Warnings: Character Death, Self Injury, Suicide, Violence
    Word Count: 1616
    Summary: “Tell me it wasn’t you, Peter. Tell me that they didn’t use you, that they used somebody, anybody else.”

One man alone changed the fate of the entire wizarding world. One man condemned himself to thirteen years as a rat for the ultimate betrayal. But just how did Peter Pettigrew come to be, Scabbers?

Name of the Story: The Breaking Point
    Author: MerrryD
    Rating: 3rd-5th Years
    Warnings: None
    Word Count: 3329
    Summary: No one ever said that war was easy. And it’s not.

Especially not for Lily Evans, who’s become Hogwarts’ go-to girl for comfort. She’s never troubled or upset. She always knows all the things to say, when to hug, and when to just let the tears go. But, sometimes, the allusion of being in control is just too much.

And, apparently, she’s not the only one.

Lily/Regulus

Name of the Story: My Cruel Companion
    Author: Belledeg
    Rating: Professors
    Warnings: Character Death, DH Spoilers, Sexual Situations, Slash, Strong Profanity, Violence
    Word Count: 28675
    Number of chapters: 8
    Last updated on: 06/18/10
    Summary: When Gellert Grindelwald arrives at Godric’s Hollow to stay with his great-aunt, all that holds his interest is seeing the Peverell graves and continuing his growing fascination with the Deathly Hallows. However, he soon finds himself becoming the focal point of gossip and intrigue in the small neighbourhood, as well as the respected friend of local genius, Albus Dumbledore. Sadly, Albus’ brother takes an instant dislike to him, for personal reasons, and makes sure that his time at the Hollow is not a happy one.
    However, it is the village tomboy—Zaria ‘Honour’ Max—who truly captivates the young wizard. While he is happy to manipulate the affection that others feel for him, he cannot quite grasp how she feels none at all. Her unconventional manners and disdainful opinion of him attract his interest like a moth to a fiery flame. But if he wishes to pursue Zaria, he must face a torrent of difficulty.
    "You stay away from that girl, Gellert. I mean it."
    "Why? Worried I'll corrupt her?"
    In a tale of friendship, adventure, growing up, good and evil—with a love square to stir up extra trouble, Gellert Grindelwald will leave an impression that Godric’s Hollow will never forget.

Name of the Story: Weakness
    Author: inspirations
    Rating: Professors
    Warnings: Abuse, Character Death, Sexual Situations, Violence
    Word Count: 2659
    Summary: Bellatrix Black is known to be one of the most notorious Death Eaters -- but how did she get to become the woman she died as?
    Bellatrix is sucked into choosing between good and evil. This is the story of how her world spiralled into darkness.

Name of the Story: Deception, Disgrace
    Author: Sainyn Swiftfoot
    Warnings: Suicide, Violence
    Word Count: 2073
    Summary: "So many people say that they were pushed off that cliff; that they fell, or never saw it coming. I've been sitting here my entire life, taking pictures of the rocks I could hit on the way down. I suppose it's always been a choice and I've just been teetering here, waiting to decide. Turn around or jump?"

Name of the Story: Bound in the Beating of Each Other's Heart
    Author: Equinox Chick
    Rating: 6th-7th Years
    Warnings: Dubious Consent, Suicide
    Word Count: 1645
    Summary: She had taken to walking here most nights since he’d gone. The utter loneliness of her life led her to flee her mausoleum of a marriage bed for the solitude of these shores, and Narcissa would stride up and down the coast trying to block out the memories that threatened to break her.

The title for this oneshot is a quote from Charlotte Gray.

Name of the Story: Angel
    Author: Liandrin
    Rating: 1st-2nd Years
    Word Count: 2061
    Warnings(if any): Alternate Universe, Book 7 Disregarded, Epilogue? What Epilogue?
    Number of chapters:
    Last updated on:
    Summary: When your world has collapsed all around you, who would you turn to for solace? Could you find comfort in the arms of an enemy? Could you find your angel? Sadly, some things are never that simple.

Name of the Story: The Breaking Point
    Author: sorrow_of_severus
    Word Count: 1430
    Warnings(if any): DH Spoilers, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations
    Summary: She was the love of his life, and they had an affair that lasted over two decades. Why did she break it off?

Name of the Story: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
    Author: SK Witch
    Rating: 3rd/5th Years
    Word Count: 2391
    Warnings(if any): Character Death, Suicide, Mild Profanity
    Summary: The smell was powerful, so magnificently intense…so very, very alluring.

There was a war going on. Fear was prevalent everywhere and these species were free to roam the city of London. Free to breed…free to feed on whoever they desired. It’s one thing to get afraid when being attacked, but the fear goes to a whole new level when you can’t see your attacker…

Follow the lives of two Muggles running through the narrow alleyways of London, when they’re suddenly confronted by one of the most feared creatures in the Wizarding world.

Name of the Story: Ignorance
    Author: ringobeatlesfan4/TwilightHPGirl13
    Word Count: 2715
    Warnings(if any): Substance Abuse, Character Death
    Summary: Ignorance is your new best friend.

Will she say it, or won’t she? You’ve been waiting for half of your life to hear her say those three words. But no. She’ll just continue to hurt you, and you know it, deep down. Know it, but refuse to believe it.

Name of the Story: The Line Between What Is Right and What Is Easy
    Author: eternalangel
    Word Count: 12778
    Warnings: AU, Violence
    Number of chapters: 2
    Summary: The year is 1945 and Albus Dumbledore has been asked by the Aurors to identify the body of a student of his who has died under suspicious circumstances, but this student was no ordinary student. Tom Riddle was extraordinary. As Albus begins to search for Riddle’s murderer, he begins to understand the true depth of Riddle’s involvement in the Dark Arts and why it was he was murdered. The murderer may be closer to Albus than even he suspects. Thanks to Butterbeer Drinker for being a wonderful guide and encouraging me to finish this gauntlet when I was about to quit!
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Name of the Story: Weasley Wonder and Woe
    Author: KarasAunty
    Rating: 3rd-5th years.
    Word Count: 3989
    Warnings(if any): Alternate Universe, Violence.
    Summary: Fred and George Weasley spend an entire summer planning the prank of a lifetime for their next Hogwarts' Welcoming Feast; but when the big day finally arrives, something goes horribly wrong ... AU.

Name of the Story: The Grievances of Moaning Myrtle
    Author: chattyswimmer
    Rating: 1st-2nd years
    Word Count: 1887
    Warnings(if any): None.
    Number of chapters: 1
    Last updated on: 05/24/10
    Summary: A young Moaning Myrtle whines about all her complaints and injustices. It's a story from her perspective about her first few weeks at Hogwarts. It will either make you hate or pity Myrtle.

Name of the Story: For Genevieve
    Author: mzap
    Rating: 6th-7th years
    Word Count: 3054
    Warnings(if any): Character Death, DH Spoilers, Sexual Situations.
    Summary: Demetri's account of the 24 hours before he died. A companion piece to A Mix of Alliances and Sentiments. It is vital that you have read through Chapter 27.

Name of the Story(with link): Horatio
    Author: armagod679
    Word Count: 1176
    Warnings(if any): None.
    Summary: Remus reflects on the real Shakespearean tragedy: survival.

Name of the Story(with link): Silence
    Author: Memish
    Rating: 3rd-5th years
    Word Count: 1519
    Warnings(if any): Character Death, DH Spoilers, Violence
    Summary: What happens from Voldemort faces his worst fear - death? One shot on what [could have] happened to Voldemort after the final spells were cast.

Name of the Story(with link): Forgive an Old Man
    Author: AngelMoon Girl
    Word Count: 2435
    Warnings(if any): None
    Summary: After receiving an alarming amount of owls regarding Harry the summer after his disastrous fifth year, Professor Dumbledore decides to pay the depressed teen a visit. On the musty old steps of the Weasleys' cellar, they discuss Sirius, the prophecy, and how best to avoid tickling a sleeping dragon.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

Okay, I’ll take two mediums: a movie and a book. I think that we will discuss Summit Entertainment’s ‘Letters to Juliet’ and ‘The Time Traveler’s Wife’. I should look up her name, but we’ll just call her that Chicago Arts Professor. Oh, I’m not discussing the movie, but the actual novel on that one.

Letters to Juliet

Right, so this one is going to come straight from memory, since I haven’t actually seen this in a while. I was going to respond to this in the ‘Babble’, but that didn’t work for some reason. The first point that I have there is that this movie was aimed to teenagers, which means that the screenwriters did not have to think much, because that’s an easy audience to please with a gooey, cliché laden romance. I’m often told that I’m rather harsh with movie and television revisions, and that d*** well might be the case, but I think it’s a good thing, as it forces me to be a critical thinker who is trying to be media literate. I was going to watch this one because it had the same girl who starred in Chloe. This shows, it’s a god thing, that actors don’t always hit the mark. Of course, I’d argue that actors don’t really care sometimes when they know it’s not a blockbuster. It’s a shame, though, because by the way this one was advertised out the yang in the States, you’d think it was supposed to be.

Who do I blame? The screenwriters. They pass this mess off knowing that most people don’t like to think while they’re being entertained. Unfortunately for them, I’ve had my hands on a handful of screen adaptations, and I see the print in my mind as they speak. I wanted to cross out almost every line here; it was a spill of clichés the moment Sophie started interviewing for the New Yorker , a publication she’s obviously too stupid to work for, making me wonder how she got the d*** job in the first place, but I digress. Professional writer, she is not.

From that, the Italian boyfriend had a vocabulary that was apparently limited to ‘marvelous’ and ‘incredible’, which makes me feel sorry for the poor, blonde journalist. I’m not that sorry, mind you, because no starter journalist, a journalist, can afford a trip that’s pre-honeymoon. By the way, any idiot that sends a letter to Juliet, or Guiletta, is stupid. She committed suicide, and not the Roman noble death, because nobody was going to kill the fool. She was a naïve teenager; and, even if I wanted to, I couldn’t escape because of the mere stupidity of the idea. And then, of course, she bickers with the grandson, and they bat clichés back and forth, just like, oh, Ron and Hermione! It makes so sense.

The only thing that’s good about this? The Italian landscape, so it might have down well as a silent slideshow, like the movies they did in the 1930s. It was rather dismal, just like Rotten Tomatoes warned us. Big surprise.
    The Time Traveler’s Wife

Niffenegger ought to be spared enough for the cause to say that this is her first novel. I’m assuming, but I don’t know this for a fact, that the woman has no writing experience as it ties to her degree. That’s not much of an argument, for anyone can learn to write well, but there needs to be practice in the craft. No author lives off of a single novel. Most unfortunately, I’d argue that this looks like a piece of pieced together, published sappy fan fiction. Most of you know where I stand on fan fiction; it’s simply practice writing, but at least it’s not something as dreadfully fluffy as Twilight and that became a series. *cough* I am discussing this one because I am trying to read it again. Yes, I think it’s important to give even poor writing a second shot. This does, however, clearly explain why the States stands at a fifth grade literacy level. That’s right. Choke on that one.

I’m not even going to bother going over the sappy ‘Oh, Henry, Oh, Clare’ line. Bite me. I do have to say that the first sex scene drew in, though. When I read a novel, I open the eye candy novels to a random page. And I thought, ‘Oh, yeah.’ Now, why did I say fan fiction? I wasn’t trying to be facetious, no. The switched point of view thing drives me up the wall. And can we stop getting the sappy, stupid, non-existent romance between these two people? It happens over and over again. Whist I understand that’s the format she wanted, I can’t help thinking why some of it is important. Henry’s naked again and comparing his puberty body parts again ? Lovely.

As for this professor being of the Humanities, she disgraces herself here and shows that she knows nothing except clichés, which was rather disappointing. If anything, Henry’s cynicism saves the stupid thing. I hated them, as I say, but I fell in love with Gomez’s character and his outlook on the world and his Library Boy. He knows what’s up. I was so glad when I found out this morning Clare screwed him along the way. Kendrick is a good character too, because he actually shows the science there and has a very cynical view of the world. On the whole, except when they discussed the genetics factor with Kendrick, it was a rather disappointment. For once, and I’m not complimenting anyone, the film was a better adaptation here.

I’ve read all of Henry’s literature, and I don’t know what that says, as I’m undergraduate, Library Boy.

Amortentia x
    Review for Jess' Unbreakable

: )

--Emma

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Review for The Vindication of James Potter (snips of the first four chapters).

I might be back with a question later. Hopefully!
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Review for The March.

Jess, you are such a prolific author! Where do you get your inspiration for all those plots from?

Aaannndd, have you got any tips for writing chaptered fics, I wondereth? Since, you know, I'm yet to finish one of them really, LOL.

-squishes-