Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wand Materials

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Wood would likely be a more common substance also because it would be a lot easier to mold, hollow, and work with than most metals would, even with the use of magic.

But again, I streess considering how it my by be possible to use other materials within a wood wand, and see what usefulness they would have in folk magic or just literary symbolism.

I also think about how tiger bones have such a create deal of importance in Chinese medicine, and the use of something that was once alive could have a lot of magical potentcy. Bone would certainly be something to consider for a wand material. Maybe even Muggle animals could be used for the exterial as long as the wand had a magical core.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    For some reason I don't think most wand-makers would blend a magical core with an outer part that can be defined as non-magical, such as normal animal bones. It could create complications.

I could imagine metal being used as an amplifier wand. Sort of, when you needed an extra boost to a spell you could use an iron wand, or something similar. You'd need a link to your normal wand, though, to make it easier for you to get a connection going with the amplifier wand.

I know practically nothing about Chinese traditions, but a few ideas have come up. Jade's been mentioned. Also, dragon bones could be used. They could have a problem with fragility, though. It would make sense for dragon bones to be hollow because of the whole weight/lift ratio needed for flight, so using dragon bones would almost be like using supersized bird bones for wands.

Banner by the lovely Megan/FawkesToTheRescue

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollonious
    For some reason I don't think most wand-makers would blend a magical core with an outer part that can be defined as non-magical, such as normal animal bones. It could create complications.
    Well, most "normal" wands have wood shells. The woods have various magical connotations but aren't in and of themselves magical. All the trees are ones that also exist in the Muggle world.

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOilMed
    But again, I stress considering how it my by be possible to use other materials within a wood wand, and see what usefulness they would have in folk magic or just literary symbolism.
    Ah, I'm rather attached to this idea about different shells because it works into Five Element theory and other things that I've been playing with. Admittedly, I'm still playing with the idea, but I rather like it.

Actually, the main problem is - what kind of solid is like Fire??
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by AidaLuthien
    Actually, the main problem is - what kind of solid is like Fire??
    Well, lava's the obvious answer. Are there any volcanos in China. Does seem like a cool concept, though. Using levitation magic to craft a wand around the magical core, round and around until it cools. THAT would be a very talented wandsmith!

If you find yourself having trouble incorperating fire, you may have to get creative with what steps go into making a Chinese wand. After all, the wandsmiths in your story would have to be creative in incorperating these five elements.

Here are some stones that generally symbolize fire.

Agate: Banded
    Agate: Black
    Agate: Brown (tawney)
    Agate: Red (Blood agate)
    Amber
    Apache Tear
    Asbestos
    (but probably better not to use this one)
    Bloodstone
    Calcite: Orange
    Carnelian
    Citrine
    Flint
    Fire Opal
    Garnet
    Hematite
    Iron
    Jasper: Red
    Obsidian
    Onyx
    Quartz: Clear
    Quartz: Rutilated
    Ruby
    Sardonyx
    Sulfur
    Sunstone
    Tigers Eye
    Topaz
    Tourmaline: Red
    Tourmaline: Watermelon
    Zircon

Petrified candle wax also comes to my mind for some odd reason.

Here are some animals associated with fire.

Cats
    Lions, Tigers, Cougars, Panthers, Housecats

Desert Dwellers
    Snakes, Lizards, Scorpions

Fiery Creatures from Myth
    Fire Dragons, the Phoenix

And here are some herbs associated with fire.

Alder
    Allspice
    Amaranth
    Angelica
    Asafoetida
    Ash
    Basil
    Bay Wood
    Betony
    Blood Root
    Cactus
    Carnation
    Carrot
    Cashew
    Cat Tail
    Cedar
    Centaury
    Chili
    Chrysanthemum
    Cinnamon
    Cinquefoil
    Clove
    Copal
    Coriander
    Cubeb
    Cumin
    Curry
    Damiana
    Dragon's Blood
    Frankincense
    Galangal
    Garlic
    Gentian
    Ginger
    Ginseng
    Goldenseal
    Gorse
    Hawthorn
    High John the Conqueror Holly
    Horse Chestnut
    Houndstongue
    Juniper
    Leek
    Lovage
    Mandrake
    Marigold
    Masterwort
    May Apple
    Mullein
    Mustard
    Nutmeg
    Oak
    Olive
    Onion
    Orange
    Pennyroyal
    Pepper
    Peppermint
    Pimento
    Pineapple
    Poke Root
    Pomegranate
    Prickly Ash
    Radish
    Rosemary
    Rowan
    Rue
    Saffron
    St John's Wort
    Sarasparilla
    Sassafras
    Sesame
    Shallot
    Snapdragon
    Sunflower
    Tangerine
    Tea
    Thistle Milk
    Thistle
    Holy Thistle
    Ti
    Toadflax
    Tobacco
    Tormentil
    Venus Flytrap
    Walnut
    Witch Hazel
    Woodruff
    Wormwood
    Yarrow
    Yucca

Hopes this offers some help to your process.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOilMed
    Well, lava's the obvious answer. Are there any volcanos in China. Does seem like a cool concept, though. Using levitation magic to craft a wand around the magical core, round and around until it cools. THAT would be a very talented wandsmith!
    To my knowledge, no, there aren't any volcanoes in China. There are a bunch in the Pacific Rim, basically going all the way around the Pacific. Let's see... wikipedia!

Well, there appears to be one near Hong Kong, but most of the rest, I think are outside of the borders of wizarding China as I've imagined them.

... lava would fit these people's opinions of themselves... hmmmm *ponder ponder*

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Maybe if you could offer a clearer idea of how you want to incorperate the five elements into wand-making, if they have to be balanced or one element is dominant, I could be of more assistanced on this topic.

Brand New Story!

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Some other ideas for fire-related solids are pumice and obsidian, both of which are produced by volcanoes. Pumice probably wouldn't be a viable wand material since it's literally holey, but obsidian might. An obsidian wand would look very impressive.

To try and resolve the issue of a lack of volcanoes in China: pyroclastic flows can stretch hundreds of miles. Depending on the size and strength of the volcano, it could just be ash, or giant chunks of rock could go flying across the country. Maybe wizards have a way of capturing these materials.

Another idea I just had would be to use stone and other materials from meteorites. Meteorites are set aflame upon entering Earth's atmosphere, so they're sort of fire-related...

Banner by the lovely Megan/FawkesToTheRescue

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollonious
    Another idea I just had would be to use stone and other materials from meteorites. Meteorites are set aflame upon entering Earth's atmosphere, so they're sort of fire-related...
    Meteorites also have a great deal of metal in them too, so they would tie into the element of metal as well. And I also imagine something that fell from outer space or 'the heavens' would hold a great deal of magical potency.

Brand New Story!

EnchantedCamel

Wand Materials

I don't know if you are still checking this, but anyway, I think that Ollivander doesn't give us enough cores to work with for our fics. I mean, one gets tired of using the same three ones.
    First of all, I'm sure wands couldn't be made of anything man-made, that is, plastic, metal, etc. That wouldn't be "magical" enough, if you know what I mean. So bone or ivory would work, besides wood. I think probably certain other kinds of stone or crystal, like, what if you made a wand out of ruby? That'd be cool! But you have to remember, if you choose something of stone or bone, it's gonna be hard to put the core in. Hope I helped!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by EnchantedCamel
    I don't know if you are still checking this, but anyway, I think that Ollivander doesn't give us enough cores to work with for our fics. I mean, one gets tired of using the same three ones.
    First of all, I'm sure wands couldn't be made of anything man-made, that is, plastic, metal, etc. That wouldn't be "magical" enough, if you know what I mean. So bone or ivory would work, besides wood. I think probably certain other kinds of stone or crystal, like, what if you made a wand out of ruby? That'd be cool! But you have to remember, if you choose something of stone or bone, it's gonna be hard to put the core in. Hope I helped!
    Metal isn't man-made. Metal ore is found in the ground, it's natural. It needs to be shaped to be workable but so does wood. You don't just grab a branch off a tree and go "aha!" and start waving it around.

As for stone and bone being hard to put the core into... it is magic. There's no hole at the end of a wooden wand from where it has been (presumably) bored out. Unless there's some kind of spell that somehow shoves the core inside the shell without having to bore the piece of wood open.

Unless you're going to go with movie canon and there being a thicker handle where a piece of wood was (perhaps) added on afterwards.