Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bartemius Crouch, Jr.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    It depends which Sorting Hat song you read.

Said Slytherin, 'We'll teach just those
    Whose ancestry is purest.'
    Said Ravenclaw, 'We'll teach those whose
    Inteligence is surest.'
    Said Gryffindor, 'We'll teach all those
    With brave deeds to their name,'
    Said Hufflepuff, 'I'll teach the lot
    And treat them just the same.'
    - from The Order of the Phoenix

Hufflepuff is a catch-all house. Helga would teach all of those who didn't fit in a particular house - hence Zacharias Smith who doesn't seem loyal either. Basically Crouch snr (and jnr too) could have fitted in any house. I still cannot see either of them in Gryffindor, despite me knowing that a few Gryffs are not that great (McLaggan, Vane, Pettigrew), but the Azkaban plot you advocate as brave and reckless was meticulously planned and only agreed to because of the devotion he had to his wife. This screams Ravenclaw or Slytherin. But he's a hard worker, we understand that much from Percy and Ludo, so Hufflepuff fits there too.
    What strikes me is his fanaticism and rigid attention to detail (personal and otherwise). It seems very un-Gryfflike and I still maintain that it wasn't bravery that made him seek out Dumbledore, but a sense that it was the only thing he could do to stop the situation.

The Crouch family are described as an old pure-blood family by the way, and there's one or two of them featured on the Black Family Tree.

Back to Barty Crouch jnr (which is the title of the thread - sorry mods, I've drifted); is there canon evidence that he was a Slytherin? Although I've always placed him in Slytherin, I can't remember if that's canon or fanon.

Barty jnr seems to have been closer to his mother than his father, so do you think she would have been sympathetic to Voldemort's ideals, or would she have been more allied to her husband?

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    THe only real things we know about Mrs Crouch are:
    -She loves her son devotedly and is willing to go to great lengths to protect him
    -Her husband loves her devotedly

Other than this we can take our pick. In my fanfic where she just appeared pretty much out of the blue a few days ago she has no alliances or sympathies with the Death Eaters. I think if she did it would put her in a very precarious position as BArty's wife and possibly push him into not letting her swap places with their son. However true love (possibly) does conquer all so it is a possibility.

However I do think she would have disapproved of his treatment of suspects etc.

Re- Barty Junior- the only canon evidence I know of that he was in Slytherin was the statement that all Dark wizards are from Slytherin (which Peter is an obviously glaring exception to). Therefore we can choose. I personally have him in SLytherin but I think Ravenclaw would also suit him.
    Banner by Minna.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I read Carole's post about Crouch's devotion to his wife and his hardwork, and I thought Hufflepuff, but that's neither here nor there. He really could be stuck anywhere.
    As for Barty Jr., it doesn't say what house he was in, but it does say that he got 12 OWLs (OoTP 28), and he was really smart regarding Moody, so I'm inclined to say Ravenclaw, but you could easily justify him as being a Slytherin. Perhaps the Crouch family was usually in Ravenclaw, such as the Weasleys are Gryffindors? Just a thought. They were both pretty intelligent.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!